• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

Why? Do you want this thing to only be as powerful as Vita? Even less? 14mm is thin enough. You people are too obsessed with aesthetics. With a thick plastic casing at 14mm, I'm not confident in this being more than 50% faster than Wii U.

Strictly speaking a thinner device can actually dissipate heat more efficiently (as the ratio of surface area to volume is higher). Hence why the MacBook can get by without active cooling; the entire body is a large thin heatsink.

MuchoMalo

Banned
People are annoyed with the way you frame everything. It's obviously intentional and it's grating for people.

Huh?

I'll admit that I did forget to include something in my calculations. Even then however, I think that at 14nm thick we shouldn't expect more than a 2W SoC.

Strictly speaking a thinner device can actually dissipate heat more efficiently (as the ratio of surface area to volume is higher). Hence why the MacBook can get by without active cooling; the entire body is a large thin heatsink.

Yes, but because the casing is metal. For plastic that wouldn't work out.

M3d10n

The kinds of games that need dual analog and multiple triggers nowadays rarely have local split screen. One analog and AXBY is enough for all multimillion local multiplayer games Nintendo puts out.

Playing COD in split screen would require Pro controllers, but it's more likely to be only available in docked mode.

I thought until now the various insider rumors said while obviously not uber powerful it would at least be a capable machine and roughly equal to an XB1, now it's looking like it won't even match XB1 in raw power?

CrisKre

Was going to post this. I'd imagine you'll be able to flip them around to your liking.

i think this would effectively allow for wiimote/nunchuck controls, but cordless. This machine sounds like an elegant all in one Nintendo machine. I really hope we can get a dock to have a nice IQ on tv mode (even if its priced more and can be bought separately). It would still be probably significantly cheaper that purchasing a Nintendo handheld and home concole individually.

For example the right attached controller.

The 3d stick is at the bottom and buttons abbove. Detached it and turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. You will have now the 3d stick at the top and buttons below

It's just so you can choose your own configuration
You are not considering the shoulder/trigger button orientation if you do that 180 turning. Not to mention the reports point out that the attaching part is on one side of the controller.

The solution would be if the controller supported overlays either on top of a touch screen, trackpad or using image sensors.

Instead of what people normally speculate about having diferent attachments. Nintendo could develop just two attachments, use the image senors inside them and let the user remove the top part of the controller with buttons. This way you could do what you suggest to have the thumbstick above the 4 face buttons or below as the user choses.

However, i don't know if they want to complicate things further beyond the 2 detachable controllers by offering swappable overlays. At the least this is a solution that would work for what you are suggesting in that post.

Neoxon

I thought until now the various insider rumors said while obviously not uber powerful it would at least be a capable machine and roughly equal to an XB1, now it's looking like it won't even match XB1 in raw power?
There's a difference between raw power & real-world performance. I believe Emily Rogers said something along those lines a few months back. Considering that the NX runs on a completely different architecture, it's like comparing apples & oranges.

Rodin

No. I think that's safe. Even in the best case around 650MHz for the GPU is about the max unless the case is metal.

No, i don't think you can possibly know this. You don't know how much heat this SoC we've NEVER seen or heard of can generate, how they designed the internals, the cooling, how thick it actually is, etc. You don't know anything, so there isn't a min or max value to state.

The only thing we "know", and that's only if we want to believe Emily, is that this thing is going to "blow the Wii U of the water" and that is "2x faster at the bare minimum". Not to mention she told that directly to you.

You just need to chill until they reveal this thing or some huge leak about specs happens instead of going with 30 different (opposite) "safe bets" per day.

Actually they were based on volume calculations. Either way, people hoping for a 7mm tablet with 2x Wii U power are delusional.
You mean like the Pixel C with a 20nm Maxwell SoC (which is actually 2.5x faster)?

Also this:

Thraktor

Yes, but because the casing is metal. For plastic that wouldn't work out.

The material is, well, immaterial to my point. A thin plastic case will still dissipate heat more efficiently than a thick plastic case, even if in both cases heat dissipation is slower than a metal version.

Not quite debunked, but:

1. The dimensions are impossible if we assume the drawings are even close to reality AND the screen is 6.2" as stated. Like it's not possible at all unless there is an enormous bezel on just the sides of the screen.*

2. Rather conveniently, if you switch 281mm to 218mm, then it all fits nicely and looks pretty much like the picture does.

So not debunked, just an educated dismissal.

*it's possible. But would be bizarre even by Nintendo's standards.

Edit: As a visual aid, this is with the assumption that it's more like 220mm than 280mm

Which fits with the diagram in the OP very well.
Thanks for the update, I was thinking maybe the bezel is indeed large but the controllers snap on.

There really isn't anything complicated about this. Powerful handheld, play anywhere, get home, connect it to dock, grab the controller, play on the TV.
What controller? The ones that come off? Zelda would feel real shit to play with a single circle pad and four buttons

You couldnt just make another console, could you nintendo

Sigh

MDave

I wish it were more oval shaped than boxy rectangular as its more ergonomic in the hands. But I hear that it folds in the report?

MuchoMalo

Banned
No, i don't think you can possibly know this. You don't know how much heat this SoC we've NEVER seen or heard of can generate, how they designed the internals, the cooling, how thick it actually is, etc. You don't know anything, so there isn't a min or max value to state.

The only thing we "know", and that's only if we want to believe Emily, is that this thing is going to "blow the Wii U of the water" and that is "2x faster at the bare minimum". Not to mention she told that directly to you.

You just need to chill until they reveal this thing or some huge leak about specs happen instead of going with 30 different "safe bets" per day.

You mean like the Pixel C with a 20nm Maxwell SoC (which is actually 2.5x faster)?

Also this:

That's a 10-inch tablet and not made for gaming. I also cant find anything confirming that it doesn't throttle.

The material is, well, immaterial to my point. A thin plastic case will still dissipate heat more efficiently than a thick plastic case, even if in both cases heat dissipation is slower than a metal version.

But then we have the issue of the plastic being flimsy.

Okay, how about if we all agree that around the Pixel C's 850MHz is the safe maximum, and that around 500MHz is a safe estimate if battery and heat take priority. Deal?

Edit: I wonder if Nintendo would be willing to use a metal inner frame like phones do.

M3d10n

What controller? The ones that come off? Zelda would feel real shit to play with a single circle pad and four buttons

Sigh
Both, using both hands. How can people not see this? It's like holding a wiimote and nunchuck.

Condom

What if you can attach it on both sides?

I mean you could turn it upside down, that way you can choose what control you want on the upside!

Maybe thats why we got 2 sources saying different things.

DqSw5gyRQ5yPC.gif

Azoo

Neo Member
Playing games with the two pieces like remotes becomes kind of pointless when there's no need for motion controls though, such as like I imagine BotW is going to be for the most part.

Or heck, most games on it, really. Youre not gonna use side-specific motion controls on the handheld version, after all.

There's got to be some sort of connector to make it a traditional pad or a Pro Controller option; both which only make this even more complicated.

Both, using both hands. How can people not see this? It's like holding a wiimote and nunchuck.

Yeah, I feel like not many are seeing the brilliance in that setup. The split controls with the Wiimote and nunchuk were probably the most comfortable control scheme I've ever used, and if we get a modern dual analog version of that it's probably going to be my favorite control scheme ever.

In that case i amend my statement to read zelda would feel like shit with circle pads, period

Again, circle pads in the prototype/devkit does not mean circle pads in the retail unit. BotW requires clickable analog sticks, so even if something like circle pads is used it will not be the same circle pads we have in the 3DS.

I wonder if the controllers will re-attach to each other. Not sure if any report has confirmed it. I guess something like a Wii mote and nunchuck worked fairly fine for most games especially if there are two analog sticks/pads. Maybe they plug into each other or there's a center piece? But then that's more pieces of plastic that might get lost or damaged.
Also with the controllers apparently being like Vive wands, I wonder if NX will get ports of VR games or if that's even a good idea.

V_Ben

Banned
Nobody is mentioning shoulder buttons, and now I'm worried it just won't have them at all. Hope it does at least have L and R.

Taker666

Not really. For a start the controller is likely smaller and flatter, the buttons/sticks seem further apart based on sketches (so tougher to move between), it won't have the ergonomics of the nunchuk or the thickness of a Wii remote, it has circle pads, the second circle pad is lower down ..which would be fine on a proper controller but it'll be a real pain to switch between inputs in just one hand based on what the leaks are showing. Fact is, we'll be dealing with compromised controls for a home console purely so Nintendo can appeal to the niche market of two players playing on one handheld.

That's the problem with a hybrid..you compromise on certain areas by trying to create something that work in multiple arenas...and end up with something not as good as something specifically created for each individual format. I'm not saying the controllers won't work..but I expect them to be vastly inferior to the Wiimote/nunchuk set-up based on these early artist impressions.

ggx2ac

Prototypes*

Prototype*: If there has only been one prototype model in dev kits, any newer models based off the prototype is a revision of the design. Hence, there should be only one prototype.

I'm starting to think now as Plinko said with regards to the NX dev kit having a TV out connector is a dev only feature.

I think it's becoming more likely the NX will stream wirelessly to the dock. It's the only way it makes sense to keep touch controls in use.

I still don't think there will be a docked performance mode. It could be possible, you have to dock the thing or put it down when you have to attach the detachable controllers to a module to use a traditional controller.

I still question the detachable controllers as having their own batteries, I guess it makes sense as one person said that connectors are huge to keep the controllers held in place with the NX. Maybe there's a cover you can put over connector if the Wii Remote capabilities are true.

ASIS

Not really. For a start the controller is likely smaller and flatter, the buttons/sticks seem further apart based on sketches (so tougher to move between), it won't have the ergonomics of the nunchuk or the thickness of a Wii remote, it has circle pads, the second circle pad is lower down ..which would be fine on a proper controller but it'll be a real pain to switch between inputs in just one hand based on what the leaks are showing. Fact is, we'll be dealing with compromised controls for a home console purely so Nintendo can appeal to the niche market of two players playing on one handheld.

That's the problem with a hybrid..you compromise on certain areas by trying to create something that work in multiple arenas...and end up with something not as good as something specifically created for each individual format. I'm not saying the controllers won't work..but I expect them to be vastly inferior to the Wiimote/nunchuk set-up based on these early artist impressions.
Don't forget these are prototypes. The circle pads are worrying but I doubt the final product would be that uncomfortable. I'm positive there is an elegant solution otherwise Nintendo would not go all out with this control scheme.

But I've played two 3D Zeldas and two top-down Zeldas with the circle pad and it's been fine?
It was fine, but no in way was it ever equal to an analogue stick and I can't see circle pads lending themselves well to split controllers.

And there's your problem right there.

These are sketches made which represent a prototype, not a final retail unit. Nintendo will likely hold onto the final retail design until the reveal, since the developers with devkits have no need to know the final shape and ergonomics.

A dual Wiimote/NXmote control scheme sounds like the best of both worlds to me because you get the comfort of a split control scheme with all of the functionality of motion controllers and analog sticks/circle pads with a full suite of face buttons and (if BotW is any indication) shoulder buttons and triggers.

Clessidor

Playing games with the two pieces like remotes becomes kind of pointless when there's no need for motion controls though, such as like I imagine BotW is going to be for the most part.
You really should see me playing Smash or WWE13 with Wiimote+Nunchuck on my Wii. Not having two pieces in your hand instead of one gives you just much more freedom in holding them, that I miss it every time I have to put a traditional gamepad in my hands.
It's such more comfortable. I would really love it.

Sigh

I'm just guessing that they'll include support for a standalone controller like the Wii U Pro controller or just make a new one. Keep in mind that Nintendo still values playing games with family and friends in the living room so they are going to need something more than just the included controller for those Smash and Mario Kart gaming sessions.

Taker666

Don't forget these are prototypes. The circle pads are worrying but I doubt the final product would be that uncomfortable. I'm positive there is an elegant solution otherwise Nintendo would not go all out with this control scheme.

I'd like to be positive..but I'm struggling to see how you can get a solution that doesn't compromise the control on the home console, handheld..or perhaps even both. What's superior for one form is inferior for another...and vice versa.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The 3DS circle pads are fantastic. Never understood the complaints.

The Boat

Sigh
The detachable controllers can theoretically be used as one, like the Wii remote + Nunchuck except with more buttons and analogs. If the rumors are true, that's obviously the point.

mugwhump

UE4 & Unity support NX
Now there's some good news. That's a big deal for Nintendo.

I'm intensely curious as to whether they themselves will be using UE4 or something for their first-party games, especially EAD stuff. They're not big on external engines, but jumping from gamecube-level technology to xbone-level tech in the span of 5 years seems like it would be impossible without third-party tools.

TAS

I think it would be amazing if the detachable controllers were magnetic like the Pixel C keyboard. Much more sleek and no moving parts which is great for longevity. 😍

There's a difference between raw power & real-world performance. I believe Emily Rogers said something along those lines a few months back. Considering that the NX runs on a completely different architecture, it's like comparing apples & oranges.

Ah, got it, makes sense.

AgeEighty

I have to say that if the NX comes out and is exactly what's been described—no more and no less—I think they've failed to develop a piece of compelling hardware.

They need to knock this console out of the park, to give consumers a concept that's distant from the Wii and Wii U but also brings a fresh, unique idea to gaming.

But conceptually, this is basically just a Wii U console and gamepad combined into one unit. I'm having a hard time looking at it and putting my finger on the "wow factor". Where's the hook? The same gaming on the go as you get at home, sure, but we've seen that before. It was basically the selling point for both PSP and Vita. And the success of full console experiences as portable games is fairly dubious to say the least.

I think I'll enjoy it and I would definitely be interested in a device like this one, but quite honestly this concept of the NX feels really... safe and uninspired. They looked at the Wii U and took the next evolutionary step; that's all.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Starting to really believe camera control is going to be handled by eye tracking as the gimmick. Based on the placement (lack?)of second analog, that old patent, and this beer in my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom