• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2011 {2011.12.26 - 2012.01.01}

donny2112

All 3DS software, or as I now can't help but think of it, "donny's brontosaurus".
2012-01-07

3DS_Brontosaurus.jpg

:)

cvxfreak

I just checked and it's actually 97.9328 yen. Rounded to two digits that's 98 yen. But anyway, as you said the outlook is terrible and it might actually drop to 97 yen shortly.

It was 97.26 when I made the post, but yeah. Vita ain't doomed, the Euro is. :p

extralite

It was 97.26 when I made the post, but yeah. Vita ain't doomed, the Euro is. :p

The graph in my currency app doesn't show it below 97.8 for the last 24 hours... but whatever.

Anyway since the dollar still is lower versus the yen compared to the euro and the prices in the US are mostly straightly 1:1 of euro ones, or less in many cases, even with lower taxes I can't imagine Japanese companies being delighted with sales in the US either.

This ended up matching pretty closely all the way through.
2011-01-03

Closest: 3DS 19,961 ahead launch week and 31,343 ahead the week before the price cut.
Farthest: 3DS 479,522 ahead after the week of December 5-11.
Now: 3DS 130,786 ahead, since it couldn't match DS's last two monster weeks.
Possibly the best thing to happen to sales charts since Pac-Man.

cvxfreak

MW3 and Skyrim for the UK win in the last minute. Interesting chart, thanks Road.

It'd be more interesting to see the HW Sales (we don't have the UK data, right?) because I think Japan would win this one.

If Japan's PC sales were thrown in, Japan would most likely be the larger market in terms of units sold...

BKK

If Japan's PC sales were thrown in, Japan would most likely be the larger market in terms of units sold...
Possibly, but the difference is ~1.5m, so I'm not so sure Japanese pc sales would be high enough. UK retail pc sales consistently sold 12m - 13m from 2000 to 2007 but since then have dropped off a cliff down to 5.5m in 2010, and if that trend continued will have been even lower in 2011.

Busaiku

Possibly, but the difference is ~1.5m, so I'm not so sure Japanese pc sales would be high enough.

Given that there are like hundreds (thousands?) of VNs released at retail a year, I think it would quite easily pass it.

Rock_Man

Just updated these through 12/25.

3DS are for sure going to sell more hardware through 'next' (last) week than PSP ever did in 52 weeks.

yearly_hardware_111225.png

PS3 and 3DS are the only ones growing in software. PS3 has actually sold more software this year than ever.

yearly_software_111225.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm really impressed that it managed to clear the steep hill of DS 2005. Even after the turnaround, this was looking like a tall task.

This week it should even increase the advantage, since:

1)Week 1 2005 DS did only 91k despite the general growth due to shortages.
2)Week 1 2012 has 2nd January in it, so we should see a general growth in next week numbers.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

Just a short one guys, but kinda interesting. For those not around in 2006-2008 when I did these reports often, I live in a small town in Japan. It is far, far from Tokyo, but maybe these anecdotes will help in showing what the game shops outside of the big cities are doing.

Wanpaku (game store): Several Used Wi-fi Vitas are already for sale. The staff tells me they can't get people interested in the 3G model. No shortage of New 3DS or Vita hardware. All models available.

Famicom Dojo (mom and pop store): Sold out of 3DS at christmas (but only had a few instock to begin with). They won't buy used Vita units because they have no confidence they will sell the or that a price drop won't happen. They got a bit burned by the quick price drop of the 3DS.

Jusco and Youmetown (large chain department stores): No shortage of hardware. Lots of kids spending their New Years money (otoshidama) and I was surprised by all the crappy licensed character titles they were buying along with the good games.

Book Off: My friend talked to one of the staff and he said the Vita sold "so-so" at the store but they were having a very hard time selling software for it.

Mario 3DLand: My brother got it for me for Christmas. He tells me he went to 4 stores looking for a used copy and had to settle on a new copy in the end (which I'm glad he did) because there were no used ones.

Monster Hunter TriG: Jr. High kids playing it at the park in small groups despite the cold. Just like I remember them doing in the 2ndG days on the PSP. If I were Sony I would be worried about this. Still see lots of PSPs around town though.

Sorry, now with the job, kid and podcast I don't have as much time to go out and do these reports but if you like I can still do mini-reports from time to time. Sales are exciting again! I hope the Vita pulls it together just for the drama.

BKK

Given that there are like hundreds (thousands?) of VNs released at retail a year, I think it would quite easily pass it.
I'd like to see some actual overall figures, but from the few old famitsu pc charts I've seen most games in the top 20 were in the hundreds of units. VN are still a niche genre.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great Vinnk Village is back - thanks for your impressions :)

If i may ask, on which Podcast are you on ?
Monster Hunter TriG: Jr. High kids playing it at the park in small groups despite the cold. Just like I remember them doing in the 2ndG days on the PSP. If I were Sony I would be worried about this. Still see lots of PSPs around town though.

The transition is beginning, i guess Sony should indeed be worried. Especially since they could end up in a situation where the next Pokemon main title and MH4 will be released in a time frame of 6 months. I expect Grey in September and MH IV March 13.

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

Just a short one guys, but kinda interesting. For those not around in 2006-2008 when I did these reports often, I live in a small town in Japan. It is far, far from Tokyo, but maybe these anecdotes will help in showing what the game shops outside of the big cities are doing.

Wanpaku (game store): Several Used Wi-fi Vitas are already for sale. The staff tells me they can't get people interested in the 3G model. No shortage of New 3DS or Vita hardware. All models available.

Famicom Dojo (mom and pop store): Sold out of 3DS at christmas (but only had a few instock to begin with). They won't buy used Vita units because they have no confidence they will sell the or that a price drop won't happen. They got a bit burned by the quick price drop of the 3DS.

Jusco and Youmetown (large chain department stores): No shortage of hardware. Lots of kids spending their New Years money (otoshidama) and I was surprised by all the crappy licensed character titles they were buying along with the good games.

Book Off: My friend talked to one of the staff and he said the Vita sold "so-so" at the store but they were having a very hard time selling software for it.

Mario 3DLand: My brother got it for me for Christmas. He tells me he went to 4 stores looking for a used copy and had to settle on a new copy in the end (which I'm glad he did) because there were no used ones.

Sorry, now with the job, kid and podcast I don't have as much time to go out and do these reports but if you like I can still do mini-reports from time to time. Sales are exciting again! I hope the Vita pulls it together just for the drama.

Awesome! Always loved these report! Thanks!
:D

Mpl90

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

:O

AND NOW IT'S ALL AS IT WAS IN THE GOOD TIMES!

So, it seems that next week there will be a rise indeed! Interesting the thing about MH3G and the audience playing it.

Thanks Vinnk.

And I'll take the occasion to ask for the third time if someone can translate this :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34018057&postcount=260

Scum

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

No excuses! :p
But...Awww....yeah! Media-Create thread is now complete! Thanks, Vinnk.

-Bad year for Japan

Media Create: Cumulative Software Sales

2010 65,527,991

2011 53,870,518

... by the time Vita launches in North America and Europe so the 3DS could have like a 10 million worldwide lead.
15 million

Is this the first year the PS3 outsold Wii?

Famitsu: For fiscal year 2010 PS3 beat the Wii by a mere 3,000 units
• PlayStation 3: 1,407,126

• Wii: 1,397,498

but I'm surprised to see the PS3 down year on year given it had a price cut in 2011.

Media Create

FY 2011 PS3 1.166.271 (39 Weeks)

FY 2010 PS3 1.123.030 (39 Weeks)

So, can PS3 make it to 10 million?
Close to 11 million without further price cuts for PS3.

However Sony still has room to cut prices several times,and another PS3 redesign in the works.In the meantime the PS3 has locked the middle class software market for the next few years,which is essential to extend the PS3′s life-cycle.

Famitsu FY 2011 (38 Weeks)

1.FFXIII -2 697,146

2.Tales of Xillia 632,151

3.Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme 417,062

4.Yakuza of the End 407,718

5.MH 3rd HD 396,991

6.WE 2012 379,924

7.Dark Souls 312,534

8.CoD MW 3 (Sub) 240,824

9.Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 217,040

10.Musou Orochi2 210,553

11.Catherine 200,984

Famitsu TOP 30 FY 2011 (38 Weeks)

PS3 7,257,300 (Third 6,768,111 ; First 471,189)

PSP 6,409,616 (Third 6,178,512; First 231,104)

3DS 4,936,620 (Third 1,767,009; First 3,169,611)

Wii 4,695,876 (Third 1,271,100; First 3,424,776)

NDS 1,830,724 (Third 1,211,032; First 1,211,032

360 437,089 (Third 354,319; First 82,770)

PSV 215,235 (Third 120,616; First 94,619)

PS2 13,011 (Third 13,011; First 0)

TOT 25,580,236 (Third 17,581,094 ; First 7,999,142)

Sony doesn't actually have a gaming division in their breakdowns. They just have Networked Entertainment which includes their PCs, cellphones (with the purchase of Sony Ericsson), tablets, games etc. It's why seeing if SCE is profitable is difficult now.
SCE made its first profit in five years in the 12 months to March 2011

Sony Management Discusses F2Q 2011 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
Sony's Masaru Kato said:
Operating income for Game business has decreased year-on-year. Although we continue to reduce the manufacturing costs of PS3 hardware, operating income decreased due to the change in the price of PS3 hardware

On a side note, don't expect PS4 anytime soon. PS Vita will require a lot of time and effort to become a viable platform.Futhermore, Sony (and pubs) is pleased with the way things are developing in the home console business.It's important to remember that Sony Corporation has sunk billions of dollars into different businesses,and the PS3 is ironically one of the few remaining cash cows.

Sony:pS3 Sales Slightly Ahead of Target (Dec 15,2011)

Busaiku

Vinnk's Village is always the best part of Sales Age.
cw_sasuke said:
The transition is beginning, i guess Sony should indeed be worried. Especially since they could end up in a situation where the next Pokemon main title and MH4 will be released in a time frame of 6 months. I expect Grey in September and MH IV March 13.
I think that would be a bad situation for Nintendo/Capcom actually.
I would think they would want some breathing room for the titles, or risk a lot of cannibalization.

I guess the demographics aren't 1:1, but there's gotta be a lot of overlap.

cw_sasuke

Vinnk's Village is always the best part of Sales Age.

I think that would be a bad situation for Nintendo/Capcom actually.
I would think they would want some breathing room for the titles, or risk a lot of cannibalization.

I guess the demographics aren't 1:1, but there's gotta be a lot of overlap.
Bad situation ? 6 months, especially if its not in the same calendar year is a great time. Its not like MH4 and Pokemon Grey will be the last titles of their specific series on 3DS, they will have to get them out the door at some point. Especially with Pokemon.

And i dont think those two titles will cannibalize into each others sales at all, they were on different platforms last year but Black/White and MHP 3rd were released even closer to each other and they both sold very well. I think Japanese gamer will be able to handle it.

Terrys Wonder 3D Remake and Pokemon could be released in the same time frame though.

Orgen

As I've said before be ready to see Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 on the DS (and with these names yeah ;P)

One question, could anyone please tell me how is the relationship between Nintendo and the Pokemon Company (Game Freak?) in shares/ownership terms? Does Nintendo own 51% of the Pokemon Company just like they did with Rare? Or it's something else?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: Great to see Vinnk's village report back. Much appreciated

Alrus

As I've said before be ready to see Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 on the DS (and with these names yeah ;P)

One question, could anyone please tell me how is the relationship between Nintendo and the Pokemon Company (Game Freak?) in shares/ownership terms? Does Nintendo own 51% of the Pokemon Company just like they did with Rare? Or it's something else?

Thanks in advance!

Well this just going off Wikipedia so I might be wrong but Nintendo directly owns a third of TPC, Game Freak owns another third and the last one is owned by Creatures inc.

Apparently Creature Inc is a subsidiary of Nintendo.

Mpl90

I really hope it's just an error of the source. B&W2 on...3DS would be good, even in place of Grey. But B&W2 on DS is useless now, really.

BurntPork

Banned

Thanks in advance!

What makes you so certain that Nintendo and Game Freak have gone batshit insane?

cw_sasuke

I really hope it's just an error of the source. B&W2 on...3DS would be good, even in place of Grey. But B&W2 on DS is useless now, really.

Which source ? Did i miss something ?

cw_sasuke

He said that the same person who talked about the European coming of Xenoblade before its announcement has hinted at B&W2 for DS.

Oh..wow. This would be so funny, i love B/W so if there i as successor that would be great. But it would be kinda weird to have such a title AND for 3DS. I really think that they will have Grey(Gray) for 3DS which will continue the story after you reach the point where B/W ended.

If Nintendo puts it on DS, with a possible western release in 2013 they are officially crazy - so no it wont happen.

Well, let's not forget 3DS is fully backwards-compatible, so nothing prevents to play a DS game on it.

Maybe they think it's still too early and are waiting for a wider user-base before releasing a 3DS exclusive game, whilst they may take advantage of the huge DS userbase to milk it one more time.

If I had to speak my mind, a DS Pokemon at this stage doesn't make much sense to me either, but Nintendo may think differently, if they're aming at both DS/3DS userbases.

BurntPork

Banned
Well, let's not forget 3DS is fully backwards-compatible, so nothing prevents to play a DS game on it.

Maybe they think it's still too early and are waiting for a wider user-base before releasing a 3DS exclusive game, whilst they may take advantage of the huge DS userbase to milk it one more time.

If I had to speak my mind, a DS Pokemon at this stage doesn't make much sense to me either, but Nintendo may think differently, if they're aming at both DS/3DS userbases.

BW should have been that "one more time."

What was the DS LTD when Diamond and Pearl released?

Orgen

I'll be eating a lot of crow if the rumour isn't true ;D

What numbers could a direct sequel of a mainline Pokemon make on a dead HW (DS)? More than D&P? Less than B&W? More than 5 million? Less than 4 million?

And a little offtopic, let's throw more fuel (speculation) to the fire!

What if Nintendo doesn't decide the platform of the mainline Pokemon games and only say "release it on a Nintendo console/handheld"?

What if The Pokemon Company/Game Freak are more comfortable releasing Pokemon games with their actual engine and don't want to invest updating it? (or making a full fledged 3D RPG)

What if there's more Pokemon games for iOS?

And the most utopian question of all... could we see a Pokemon title for the PSVita? or it's impossible? (does Nintendo own the Pokemon franchise?)

Ahí lo dejo.

P.S: It's just speculation because I'm bored and you love speculating. This is not BurntPork's alt account :p

Top Bottom