• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

So is anyone else actually excited for the features aspect of the 720? Most people seem so dismissive of it but I personally love the idea of being able to instantly switch between games with no downtime for instance. I understand people want the focus on games but come on, does anyone truly believe the console will be starved for content like the late days of the Gamecube or something?

Me I want to see all the stuff they will be doing with Kinect

MaulerX

Is there a single feature that Microsoft could announce that would cement your purchase?

I would have to say BC. I have so much digital content it's not even funny. Plus I took advantage of that digital game sale earlier this year as well. Being able to transfer all that would be nirvana.

SayianGIF.gif

hhhhhhyyyyyype

this

5 days til dem megatons start dropping.

I had a dream were during the reveal the hype tent's roof comes off and Ballmer parachutes in to announce ODST 2. Believe!

Sounddeli

Banned
Did anybody post this???

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/latest-new-xbox-leaks-some-old-some-new.453025687/

Don't ask me where I got this info, because I can't and won't tell you. The New Xbox team is a locked down group and only project managers know the full story. So a good portion of this is pieced together info with extrapolations based on what I think makes sense.

Specs:
Almost everything you've seen and heard is bullshit. I choose to let you hear about this at the conference so you'll be pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised (based on your agenda).

Product Announcements:

Two products will be announced a revised Xbox 360 and a New Xbox
Revised Xbox 360 will be rebranded as Xbox <new brand> will contain a shrinked 360 SoC and will be positioned to compete with Roku and AppleTV. Will "piggyback" onto your Cable box. Old rumors had it overlaying Xbox stuff over your cable connection. It's the other way around, will "inject" your Cable into the Xbox dash via a tile. No different than Windows Media Center. First few minutes of the conference will be focused on this. The thing may be released later next week or the following week.
Will play current 360 library via download.
Revised 360 won't have a DVD drive, small internal NAND flash and USB ports for controller charging and external HDDs.
Box is bigger than Roku and much, much thinner and smaller than current 360 model.
Price will be $150.00

New core gaming box will be announced. This box will be branded Xbox <newbrand> and will have all of the functionality of the smaller box along with the ability to play new core games.

No price announced until after E3, so don't hold your breath. Controller will include technology from MS touch mouse for web browsing, apps and menu nav.

Here's the biggie: Two SKUs, One with updated Kinect, one without. Kinect not mandatory. UI is minor upgrade over NXE. No full-blown Windows RT. Smooth as butter though.
Multi-tasking OS. Switch to OS and apps without having to leave the game. Game pauses automatically.

Console is always on and always online. Will run in low power state via Xbox 360 SoC to download updates and interact with Smartglass. "Always online" doesn't mean that it requires Internet just to function just like "always on" doesn't mean it will work when you lose electricity. Always on, always online implies that it will function in that manner assuming you have electricity and a working Internet connection. Duh! Much ado about nothing.

Little box will be aimed at casual gamers and big box will be aimed at core gamers.

Ancillary tidbits:

Final devkits and SDKs won't go out until later this year. Not unusual because MS didn't release Windows 8/WP8 SDKs to developers until two months before the product launched. The rationale is that launch/launch Window games won't be able to take advantage of the improvements and functionality in time anyways. The decision behind this was the same as the other incidents: To protect their IP and prevent leaks.

Indie devs will be happy.
World-wide launch in question. Sorry Europe?
Japan will not be a major focus for MS. Stronger focus on Europe and developing markets.

that all sounds reasonable so i want to believe but...

Revised 360 won't have a DVD drive, small internal NAND flash and USB ports for controller charging and external HDDs.

sounds like utter nonsense, this box would be aimed at casuals who use dvd media.

and he makes it sound like theres no way to store games out of the box ( i read it as implying you must buy your own external hdd?). that's ludicrous.

edit: more nonsense, "low power 360 soc"

the 360 tech is old and a power hog. hell, wii u can do in 33 watts what 360 takes 90 for, because wii u is a new design.

Calvarok

Banned
"Always online" doesn't mean that it requires Internet just to function just like "always on" doesn't mean it will work when you lose electricity. Always on, always online implies that it will function in that manner assuming you have electricity and a working Internet connection. Duh! Much ado about nothing.

Want these rumors to be true just so this snark can be validated.

Sounds like someone took a pastebin shitpost, put it on IGN, and then it got copied here.

thats definitely coming sooner or later. no doubt about that.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that another, cheaper 360 is coming. Both Sony and Microsoft are going to be a nuisance for Nintendo on the low-end.

Sounddeli

Banned
that all sounds reasonable so i want to believe but...

sounds like utter nonsense, this box would be aimed at casuals who use dvd media.

and he makes it sound like theres no way to store games out of the box ( i read it as implying you must buy your own external hdd?). that's ludicrous.

edit: more nonsense, "low power 360 soc"

the 360 tech is old and a power hog. hell, wii u can do in 33 watts what 360 takes 90 for, because wii u is a new design.

I under stand that the 360 tech is old but IBM shrunk the 360 soc chip already, which is the A2 or the Xenon 2 so it is possible.

c0de

I want to believe for multitasking alone.

Please have multitasking. That's the one feature I'm most excited for out of all of the rumours. Kinda sucks if it isn't WinRT though, I wanted to pin a twitch video on the side and a game on the other.

I am sure it will do multitasking. Enough cpu-power and especially enough ram for that.

Is there a single feature that Microsoft could announce that would cement your purchase?

As a programmer how about a program like XNA or WinRT but then with native and with native dx11 support. Same for ps4 if sony is really that into indie developers they should release a XNA sort of kit.
Day fucking 21st may.

Or improved Backware compatibility give me halo 3 in 1080p or bust. Even if it was a add on i would pay $199 for it 360 games at 1080p.
I can only imaging duranthe fix for every 360 game out there.

Reads like a Pastebin. Mostly stuff that's fairly obvious (Europe focus) or a conglomeration of recent rumors from Thurott, Vgleaks and the Ars email. A few crazy tales from my ass thrown into the mix and we're done.

So is anyone else actually excited for the features aspect of the 720? Most people seem so dismissive of it but I personally love the idea of being able to instantly switch between games with no downtime for instance. I understand people want the focus on games but come on, does anyone truly believe the console will be starved for content like the late days of the Gamecube or something?

I'm probably every bit as excited, or even more so, about the features aspect than the actual games, mostly because I fully expect for plenty of great games to be available for the next Xbox. Like, I'm really hoping that Microsoft brings some cool apps, services and features to the next Xbox, as well as some truly awesome looking games.

I pray to god they have some kind of Japanese role playing game that they just aren't talking about right now.

Sounddeli

Banned
but where do the download-games reside? there has to be internal hdd-space for the revised 360, otherwise it would *require* usb-storage. doesn't sound right to me.

Im pretty sure if this is true hard drive of some sort will be in there, but we wont know until the 21st if all these rumors are true.

That IGN thing is just BS.

"No one knows the full story.... only a small core Xbox team "

"But I, random IGN forum poster, have chosen to post everything here thanks to my secret sources...."

Not buying any of it.

The only person who knows is #xboxrevealtent and SHE isn't the kind of girl to give it up easily.

I want to believe for multitasking alone.

Please have multitasking. That's the one feature I'm most excited for out of all of the rumours. Kinda sucks if it isn't WinRT though, I wanted to pin a twitch video on the side and a game on the other.

Mulitasking has been in the rumours from the start... one of the reasons for the high OS RAM reservation of 3GB (IMO).

Specs:
Almost everything you've seen and heard is bullshit. I choose to let you hear about this at the conference so you'll be pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised (based on your agenda)

That's one of numerous things from that pastebin that tells you it's shit. If he knew the specs, he wouldn't hold it back. He's too stupid to come up with believable replacements for what's already been leaked.

c0de

That IGN thing is just BS.

Not buying any of it.

The only person who knows is #xboxrevealtent and SHE isn't the kind of girl to give it up easily.

"So a good portion of this is pieced together info with extrapolations based on what I think makes sense."

TheKayle

Banned
i think that rumors could be all true

i dont think the ui will see a big improvemets on the x360metro dashboard (dont know what they could improve)..but it will have lots of more functions....the multiple skus rumor with a "little x360 in it" to compete with google,apple etc etc always been convincing to me

i think that kinect will not be included in every console ..so u can buy it separately )ms make more money in this way)...and having it as a peripheral lower the bom price

100% the os will be multitasking

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hope someone is cataloging these leaks/pastebins/pastebin wannabes to see who, if anyone, was right about the Xbox Triple.

Sounddeli

Banned
Im just posting information as I find it, real or not it keeps the discussion going til the 21st reveal.

We're anxious to find out what MS has up under there sleeves and it seem their are a lot of people out there which choose to manipulate that emotion. We don't have long to go we will know what's going on real soon, but I must agree that the wait is killing me as well.

Dabanton

"So a good portion of this is pieced together info with extrapolations based on what I think makes sense."

I should have stopped reading there.

So glad pastebin is banned for now. Can you imagine how many of those sort of posts we'd have to be reading if the mods didn't clamp down on them.

It's the aspect of the console I'm the most excited about. I mean, practically every console in history has had some good games, this one won't be any different in that regard.

Sounds like someone took a pastebin shitpost, put it on IGN, and then it got copied here.

Yes, although I expect most of those things. Kinect will be included in every SKU, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom