• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield Tablet 2016 Model Cancelled

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
nVidia: "So how many chips do you guys need ?"
Nintendo: "All of them"

Hasney

Makes sense to be honest since that would be using the X1, which would be old news by the time it came out. I think they'll just skip it and do a Pascal based one in 2017.

RIP.

At least we'll have the GPD WIN and possibly the NX.

(Off-topic but Yahoo Finance are EDIT: wildly speculating today that AMD have the design win for the NX so who knows where that'll land.)

ggx2ac

nVidia: "So how many chips do you guys need ?"
Nintendo: "All of them"

Hehehehe

Quoting this from the article. They'll probably still have something.

If so, then maybe not all hope for an addition to the SHIELD family is lost. We have not heard much on the Bluetooth and WiFi certifications that appeared for the rumored device codenamed “P2523,” believed to be a follow-up to the original Shield Portable, that appeared earlier this year. That filing is still listed as active at the FCC.

(Off-topic but Yahoo Finance are claiming today that AMD have the design win for the NX so who knows where that'll land.)

The article was talking about the semi-custom design wins from the last year or so, you know, those 3 semi-custom wins and then implying that NX is one of them with no source or new info to back it up. Nothing has been confirmed.

ggx2ac

Aah - I see. Fixed.

Here so I can reference it to anyone else that article you mentioned.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-revenues-hit-weakness-semi-130735686.html

Semi-custom business
AMD, which competes with Intel (INTC) and NVIDIA (NVDA) in the CPU (central processing unit) and GPU (graphics processing unit) market, dominates the gaming console market. It’s the sole supplier of semi-custom processors for Japan-based (EWJ) Sony’s (SNE) PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s (MSFT) Xbox. It has also won an order for Nintendo’s upcoming console, codenamed “NX.”

New design wins
Recently, AMD came into the limelight with several rumors floating around its gaming console, data center, and licensing business. Kotaku reported that Sony and Microsoft were looking to upgrade their consoles.
Amid these rumors, AMD president and CEO Lisa Su announced that the company had secured three semi-custom processor design wins for new consoles, but she didn’t give any details. She stressed that these wins were over and above the existing gaming consoles and would be available in the market in 2017, with the delivery of one SoC (system-on-chip) starting in 2Q16.
This created confusion as to whether or not these new design wins would be related to the rumored upgrades for Xbox and PlayStation 4.

As such, the article made the claim and didn't have any sources or new info to back it up.

It's those same announced design wins we heard over a year ago.

ggx2ac

First post nailed it, this is definitely Nvidia throwing everything their entire Tegra chip manufacturing capacity at Nintendo.

Or if you saw what I quoted from the article. They cancelled this model because they will probably have a new one to show off at Hot Chips when they show their new Pascal-based Tegra line.

Dystify

RIP.

At least we'll have the GPD WIN and possibly the NX.

(Off-topic but Yahoo Finance are EDIT: wildly speculating today that AMD have the design win for the NX so who knows where that'll land.)

That Yahoo article is not new at all. It's from May 2.

Or if you saw what I quoted from the article. They cancelled this model because they will probably have a new one to show off at Hot Chips when they show their new Pascal-based Tegra line.

No dude. Everything Nvidia does from now on is obviously NX related. Don't ignore the truth.

*Insert obvious /s*

Lucifon

Still use my Shield Tab every day, it's an awesome tablet that gets better with updates. Screen is nice, good sound, runs everything perfectly smoothly. It's my little morning breakfast Youtube/Twitch viewer when sat at the table. Best tablet I've owned.

Slipped out my hand this morning on hard floor and my heart skipped a beat - turned it over and it was perfectly fine with a few very minor grazes on one side. No dents, no proper scratches. Phew!

I have to wonder if this was due to a potential Nintendo-Nvidia partnership.

If Eurogamer is correct, the NX is a handheld that can output to a TV. The old Shield tablet had a 'Console mode' that allowed it to connect to a TV and play games there with a controller.

A new Shield tablet might have been stepping on the NX's toes here, and thus Nintendo may have stipulated that it shouldn't be brought to market to compete with NX.

All speculation of course!

MuchoMalo

Banned
First post nailed it, this is definitely Nvidia throwing everything their entire Tegra chip manufacturing capacity at Nintendo.

But that doesn't make sense. There wouldn't have been an overlap because they wouldn't be using the same chip or fab! The tablet was going to use the 20nm Tegra X1 while NX will use a custom Pascal-based 16nmFF chip, right?

Right?

Please? :(

Don't use a fucking X1 Ninty...

Here so I can reference it to anyone else that article you mentioned.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-revenues-hit-weakness-semi-130735686.html

As such, the article made the claim and didn't have any sources or new info to back it up.

It's those same announced design wins we heard over a year ago.

I'm pretty sure they just copy-pasted from an old article.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nvidia is a fabless company, they just do the designs and testing.

It was obv a joke - Nintendo, Sony and Co. only licenses the design from AMD/nVidia and contract Foxconn and co. for the actual production.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It was obv a joke - Nintendo, Sony and Co. only licenses the design from AMD/nVidia and contract Foxconn and co. for the actual production.

Foxconn doesn't fab chips either lol. The main fabs are TSMC (which Nintendo will most likely end up using), GlobalFoundries, and Samsung (and Intel but they only make their own chips). All that Foxconn does is put the already made pieces together.

KAL2006

Banned
It's cancelled because they will show their Pascal chip at the Hot Chips event in August 22nd. I'm sure NVIDIA will have a host of new decided based on Pascal. A new tablet, a new Shield TV and of course the next Nintendo system.

Oregano

I imagine the purpose of the Shield devices was to advertise the ability of Tegra to companies. If they've got Tegra in Nintendo's next system they no longer need the Shield.

Renekton

It's cancelled because they will show their Pascal chip at the Hot Chips event in August 22nd. I'm sure NVIDIA will have a host of new decided based on Pascal. A new tablet, a new Shield TV and of course the next Nintendo system.
Wow that's fittingly ambitious.

KAL2006

Banned
Now that I would like.I love my Shield TVs,perfect for media streaming and the odd game,or gamestream

I am also waiting for a new Shield TV to be announced but not to buy it nut for the old one to drop in price as I moved my current one downstairs and would like to buy another for the bedroom. Shield TV was overpriwered in the first pace not sure what I would need extra power for. I only use mine as a Kodi and emulator box.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Speculation derived from information on Shield Portable forums say that nvidia may be about to announce the Shield Portable 2.

Renekton

Durante

I guess the ARM CPUs are no slouch either so Nvidia bet on the right horse, Blu is a big fan too.
If this is a reply to me, I'm not talking about compute capability, or architectural efficiency, or anything like that.

I'm talking about my use for such a device, which is infinitely greater if it is x86 because of software. (Which is why I'll probably buy a GPD Win)

thefro

I imagine the purpose of the Shield devices was to advertise the ability of Tegra to companies. If they've got Tegra in Nintendo's next system they no longer need the Shield.

One would think so but that depends on the feature-set for the NX.

I think there's still a market for the Shield as a set-top Android box if NX isn't running an Android fork for the OS.

Oregano

But Gamestream and GeForce NOW. :(

One would think so but that depends on the feature-set for the NX.

I think there's still a market for the Shield as a set-top Android box if NX isn't running an Android fork for the OS.

It really depends how much they value those things. Considering how many units the Shields have shifted(which is a shame because it's the best tablet I've owned) it doesn't look overly lucrative. I'll guess we will see.

Top Bottom