• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski: "AAA games and used market can't co-exist"

sublimit

Banned
Lock if old.
"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people."

"The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assasins Creed games are made by thousands of devs."

"Newsflash. This is why you're seeing free to play and microtransactions everywhere. The disc based day one $60 model is crumbling."

"Those of you telling me "then just lower game budgets" do understand how silly you sound, right?"

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/ble...k-big-budget-games-pre-owned-cannot-co-exist/

Varth

Then fuck AAA games. Yours first.

EDIT: Honestly, marketing budgets are not my concern as a gamer. I can think about plenty of games that aren't high on expense and still are worth purchasing. I f it comes to the point where I have to surrender my rights to let you take industry in a direction I don't want in the first place, there's definitely something that HAS to be taken back to the drawing board.

turnbuckle

I can live without this new definition of AAA games. I used to think of them as being great games regardless of budget, now they're described as big budget games regardless of quality.

Budget accordingly then.

Funny thing is that this is what is expected of gamers. It'll be a rude awakening when they realize "budget accordingly" means new games will be cut out of the gamers' budgets the more anti-consumer publishers get.

I don't agree with Cliffy but put his full quote:

"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people. The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assassins Creed games are made by thousands of devs."

2MF

BS. Take a look at Gamestop's profits, they're nothing special. This meme of "Gamestop stealing our profitzz" is ridiculous.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The dial down the numbers and let improving hardware, and wonderful people like your former employer improve software technology, so that we can continue to get more for the same development budget.

And let's not talk about marketing budgets...

SerRodrik

AAA games are bloated, watered down, and stupidly expensive anyway. Maybe you guys should adapt to the market rather than forcing the market to adapt to you.

Burt

Cliffs B says that we can't sell things we own and have to put up with invasive DRM for the sake of development and marketing budgets.

I hope he realizes how silly he sounds.

MechaX

The growing bloat of AAA development is problematic for so many reasons (especially since we're in an age where 3-4 million copies sold is not good enough, and every publisher needs to chase the enigmatic "CoD audience" in order to even barely sustain themselves). I would not be sad to see that trend go.

Here's an idea, Clifferton.

Spend less on fucking marketing.

A lot of developers spend more money on marketing their games than they do on making them nowadays. It's absolutely absurd, and it doesn't help the games at all because games like Call of Duty don't sell well because of marketing, they sell well because they brainwashed a group of new gamers at the beginning of the generation and never let go of them.

Throwing $100m into a marketing campaign isn't going to get them to buy your games, so stop trying to sell to them. It hasn't worked, and it never will work. Relax your expectations, dial back the budgets a little bit and spend less on marketing but make it mean more. Target it to people who are receptive to your game instead of trying to force it down everyone's throats.

Problem solved.

BeeDog

As many people have said already, a market that cannot work around second-hand sales is not a healthy market. The customer should NOT get punished for non-efficient development practices. Maybe a proper crash is in order...

As long as games with as high quality as The Witcher 2 can be made by independ developers, sold DRM free from day one, and still be profitable for said developer then I'm satisfied.

Then fuck AAA games.

Yep. I'd take "lesser" projects with the focus on gameplay and art direction over something like Titanfall any day if it meant the ability to do something as simple as play a used, borrowed or whatever game on a game system.

Getting big budget AAA games, for me, does not justify taking away taking away our ability to do what we've always been able to do for decades.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

EDIT: Honestly, marketing budgets are not my concern as a gamer. I can think about plenty of games that aren't high on expense and still are worth purchasing. I f it comes to the point where I have to surrender my rights to let you take industry in a direction I don't want in the first place, there's definitely something that HAS to be taken back to the drawing board.

Good. The less 100+ million AAA shootbangers the better.

1st AND 2nd reply GAF on fire today. 100% agree.

Portugeezer

Fucking lol.

Mihos

Gold Member
He makes the assumption that my kids are going to buy just as many games as they do now, only pay $60. That is a fundamentally wrong assumption.

They will just buy less games, wait for sales, and be more choosey... they will also not be choosing his.

They don't suddenly have more money to spend on games just because the price gets higher.

Taker666

Shigeru Miyamoto
"For us it's less about used games and it's really more illegal copying of games that we're really worried about. By creating the games that we create and selling those games, it enables us to then create new versions of those games.

"We're more worried about piracy and we think used games are a whole other story," Miyamoto continued. "In fact, from our perspective you want to create a game that people will want to keep and keep playing for a long time. That's the approach that we always take and that's the best way to avoid used games."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413504/miyamoto-piracy-a-bigger-concern-than-used-games-market/

Top Bottom