• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annoyed Gamer: Growing Concerns for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Im a fan of Marcus but in this episode he was really reaching. Moaning about not being given a PS4 and random rumours of it over heating, if there was even a slight possibility of this rumour existing it would have been all over GAF.

DBT85

As we have been discussing in whatever thread it was, if he thinks it's been debug units on show instead of retail ones, would they not also be overheating? They are in the same case with the same cooling. They just have debug firmware on.

And those have been running for hours and hours at shows.

He's concerned about HDCP and about not getting hardware to test on before launch, but I don't even know of they got PS1/2/3 retail hardware before launch.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I wonder if his source is that pic of the PS4 with the red light in the closed plastic kiosk. Bwahaha

Jburton

Banned
He claims it's debug units in the wild so as to hide this "overheating" issue with retail.

Since they are both the same in terms of hardware then if this "rumour" was true then the debuts would be overheating as well.

He is simply talking out of his ass.

Derrick01

Banned
This has been a concern from literally no one up until now. There's been no rumor from credible sources or from anonymous devs, nothing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Guys love to do videos like this. The only heat issues I've heard about are from earlier test units.

That's why you do it though. You get feedback and all that.

But yes, these types of videos are bound to show up as people do want them views.

Carl

He claims it's debug units in the wild so as to hide this "overheating" issue with retail.

Since they are both the same in terms of hardware then if this "rumour" was true then the debuts would be overheating as well.

He is simply talking out of his ass.

Basically this. If there were overheating issues they would be present in debug units. He must know that

Jburton

Banned
This is a thing?

Man I hope not. They certainly could have afforded better cooling and just have external power brick plus better cooling.

Settle down Frank, no it s not a thing ........ if it was this forum would have been on it long ago, like we have been everything else.

This turd is just sore he has not got a freebie yet.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The only time I've heard about PS4 overheating was that one display model (kept in a stuffy plastic case) shutting down to prevent damage.

Probably Marcus wants a free PS4, and he spread this rumors to make Sony give him a PS4 in order to check himself that there is no overheating.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This has been a concern from literally no one up until now. There's been no rumor from credible sources or from anonymous devs, nothing.

Yep, I haven't heard a single thing on GAF or elsewhere about this being an issue.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Didn't get given tasty free electronic treat, turns to fear, uncertainty and doubt mixed in with his own defeated feeling of sourness.

While it comes as a surprise to no-one, the ease with which you can see videogame personalities stropping like big kids is pretty shocking.

Serious question: When was RROD found out about?
I doubt they will have made the mistakes of last time, but the points made above have piqued my interest.
If it does have problems (which I doubt) I'll likely know before EU launch, and would consider cancelling.

I watch his show since day 1 but I'm losing interest, today in particular he just seems to be grasping at straws. Slow news day I guess.

I'm the first to defend journalists from GAF hate but.. Annoyed Gamer doesn't seem to be overly burdened with game industry insight.

RaikuHebi

Banned
This is a bunch of bollocks. The media is conveniently turning the subject away from resolutiongate with this bullshit.

MormaPope

Banned
Thinking about it, its sad Phil Fish left the industry because of this dude. Phil probably/might've called it quits sooner or later, but that whole incident has soured me on this dude and what he does.

komplanen

I trust this rumor as much as I like Marcus Beer. In other words I believe the PS4 is running so cool it's reversing global warming.

Has the overheating been mentioned as a potential issue anywhere by anyone before?

I mean, besides that time that unit locked in the unventilated plastic box overheated at that event a couple of months ago, obviously.

Do you know about the PS4 cooling solution since you're saying they could have afforded a better one?

No but you'd think after what happened this gen everyone would make sure they will not have big heating problems. I'm not an expert but AFAIK improving cooling isn't that big of a problem with just changing the box size if need be, more powerful fans/more power to existing fans even if it means more noise and better ventilation. But this is just if this ''rumour'' or whatever was true. Also having external power brick helps too, no?

I'm just a little surprised since I don't remember Marcus usually talk about rumours of his own.

Binabik15

Guys, remember when that one PS4 overheated in a small plastic coffin? You're GAMBLING with your LIFE if you let on of those things in your home!

Cade

I wonder if his source is that pic of the PS4 with the red light in the closed plastic kiosk. Bwahaha

Essentially, this is the narrative a lot of people are trying to sell. I've been monitoring Twitter a bit just to feel the pulse of both consoles and a lot of people think it means the PS4 is some overheating disaster waiting to happen, and it's a self-perpetuating rumor. Very annoying.

He really is reaching, he decided to do this episode at the exact time Sessler had his little outburst. Since then, the manufactured outrage toward Sony has dropped as journalists seemed to have taken a step back from that criticism. However, Marcus seemed to have wanted to carry the torch for no particular reason. Also, alleging that PS4's are over heating? We've literally had no credible sources say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom