• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REmake HD PS4 vs. GameCube footage

salromano

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/02/resident-evil-ps4-vs-gamecube-graphics-comparison

Is this first footage of the PS4 version? IIRC, the previous footage was of last-gen. Might be wrong, though.

qwc1PYE.jpg

NzVYXSW.jpg

SerTapTap

Looking pretty good IMO. I never got REmake on GC (I somehow actually never heard of it at the time) so I'll probably get this depending on price. Looks like 16:9 is zoomed in rather than stretched or just re-rendered?

Is this first footage of the PS4 version? IIRC, the previous footage was of last-gen. Might be wrong, though.

Why would they do that? Some places have shown last-gen as well, it seems like PS4 would always be the optimal console to show (or PC for basically bullshot quality)

antitrop

That's actually pretty impressive.
PS4 version looks much better to me.

It's been about 10 years since I played REmake on GameCube, can't wait!

salromano

Looking pretty good IMO. I never got REmake on GC (I somehow actually never heard of it at the time) so I'll probably get this depending on price.

Why would they do that? Some places have shown last-gen as well, it seems like PS4 would always be the optimal console to show (or PC for basically bullshot quality)

I think because in Japan the last-gen versions are coming out this year, whereas the current-gen versions in early 2015, same time we get all versions.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
For some reason I read that as RE4 on PS4.

And I thought, "I'm okay with this."

Regardless, shapes us really nice on PS4, resolution really helps here.

Shame they couldn't re-render the backgrounds though.
The part where Jill goes down the staircase looks far better to me in the Gamecube version.

antitrop

For some reason I read that as RE4 on PS4.

And I thought, "I'm okay with this."

Regardless, shapes us really nice on PS4, resolution really helps here.

I would be immensely surprised if the 60fps HD version of RE4 that was released on Steam earlier this year won't make it to next-gen consoles.

AkuMifune

Banned
Actually curious about PS3 version. Was the last video confirmed to be last-gen?

Will be picking that one up Import before Steam one releases.

Moofers

I wasn't noticing a huge difference until they showed Jill and Barry in the mansion. Then it was really obvious.

I don't have a Gamecube anymore, so I'll be all over this. I hope its cheap.

SerTapTap

I wasn't noticing a huge difference until they showed Jill and Barry in the mansion. Then it was really obvious.

I think the start with the dogs is prerendered, I'm not sure why it was even included

I know it's a weird thing to say, but it looks almost too clean.

"The one thing I don't like about REmake HD is it's almost too clean"

antitrop

I tried going through it with Dolphin last year, but the high-res character models clashed too dissonantly with the low-res pre-rendered backgrounds.

Even if this isn't a full Remaster, it's still much better than doing that.

jett

D-Member
It actually looks pretty decent since it was first shown. They've touched up most backgrounds. It looks nice enough.

Xav

The game looks too clean (for my liking) and the grit from the original appears to be gone. On the plus side however, the character models obviously benefit from the higher resolution.

I'm glad they have an option for original 4:3 in the game. When these remasters zoom in to make the game widescreen certain things get lost or everything just feels way too close.

I already have this on GC and the Wii Archives version and will gladly purchase this for that HD goodness.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
just played the remake last month, still looks great, but the PS4 footage looks incredible. Can't wait to replay it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm in that weird camp I think it look too clean, but I can accept that this is a non-issue for most and a natural thing when the game is being brought as an HD Remaster port.

The murky kind of grainy look worked well for the type of game it was, as it reminded heavily of old zombie and horror movies, which have that sort of murky grainy look to them. The lack of clearness can add an element to make things look creepier. The main thing that bothers me is some of the lighting makes some areas way too easy to see, like the staircase to the cellar looks better, but it's lacking the shadows the original had. And the zombies updated models makes you see them very clearly, which is both cool but also I don't think they look as creepy with the added clarity and details. The details are nice, but it seems to detract from the creepiness of the zombies to me because I can see them too clearly.

This is really a series of non-issues I know, but just some thoughts. I'll still buy it, play it, love it, and I can always play the original if I want that original effect, but just some thoughts of how it might detract from the horror and atmosphere if the lighting is too bright and the picture is too clear, as both things sort of take away from the old horror movie feel the original had. I feel this is all going to come to taste, though.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'll just have to use my imagination because the IGN player doesn't work at all on my computer for some reason.

edit: It plays sound.

dat contrast

edit: shit, I just watched the video and it definitely looks much better than anything we've seen so far. The contrast isn't fucked as it was with the PS3 videos we've seen. Plus, the colors are actually better on the PS4; they don't have that greenish grey tint that is plaguing the original Gamecube release. In fact, I'll admit I very much prefer the PS4 version over the original game.

Color me very excited now. Also surprised; I didn't think my stance on this game would change. It did.

SerTapTap

Remake has crushed blacks, worse color grading, excessive use of bloom. Why would they even do this?

Worse color than the horrible green pall over the entire game on GC? The blacks look a bit too dark, hope that's a capture or brightness settings issue since PS4 itself shouldn't crush blacks.

Top Bottom