• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Indiscriminate name reusage is just an established hazard of the brand, I guess. I think some versions of the BW story try to reconcile it by saying the original Predacons founded the Predacon movement, but that still doesn't explain Rampage.

aparisi2274

13661793_1116775651691214_2727345177915840740_o.jpg

:(

Tizoc

Da fuck
You know these organic like designs would be a lot better if they didnt look so very derivative and overdesigned

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Just once it'd be nice to get a movie design other than Prime and Bumblebee who are identifiable as the character they're supposed to be.

Firemind

Indiscriminate name reusage is just an established hazard of the brand, I guess. I think some versions of the BW story try to reconcile it by saying the original Predacons founded the Predacon movement, but that still doesn't explain Rampage.
Should have named them Terrorcons then. You have the Maximals who maximize and the Predacons who terrorize...

Besides, those bumbling idiots by association shouldn't be even in the same league as the majestic Predacons and their glorious leader Razorclaw.

Hey man, theres alot of Tom's, Mike's, and Dave's in the world. I'm sure there's tons of bots named Hot Rod going around

Like absolutely everything you could think of regarding Transformers (and most of what you couldn't), MTMTE explores, plays with and even in one issue makes a plot point of this. One of the less spoilery examples is a background character who's referred to have been named Prowl before the one we know rose to fame and he changed his name to avoid confusion... but all the good names were taken, so he had to settle for Dent.

Edit: Come to think of it, I believe it was also MTMTE that introduced the naming scheme for forged bots adding their home city (ex. Megatron of Tarn, Orion Pax of Iacon), and, for constructed cold bots / MTOs, the military operation they were created for (ex. Getaway of the Corcapsia Incursion). It did introduce the very concept of forged / constructed cold, so it would make sense...

Mike M

Nick N
Between the red coloring and Bumblebee's notmouth and door wings, honestly it looks like a better Cliffjumper than Hot Rod.

Enkidu

I just got a FansToys Willis and that thing is a beauty. It's not perfect (part of the transformations feels a little fiddly) but this is probably the closest I have seen a third party coming to matching the look and feel of the official Masterpiece line. I genuinely have a hard time seeing how Takara will be able to beat this figure (heck, I don't know if they will be able to match it).

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
FansToys MPs are the only ones I would potentially confuse with official product. Their Dinobots and Insecticons are phenomenal. I don't know what Takara could do to improve on the FT Insecticons.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Buzz Lightyear joins the combiner wars!

dUEfqT7.jpg

And he can combine with the previously released Woody & Friends combiner for maximum ridiculous.

69b9nxz.jpg

NEO0MJ

I saw that Buzz mech before but didn't know it could combine with the others, not that I'm surprised. I didn't however realize that there's a buzz there, and that they'd crucify him to the main mecha.

Jaeger

The later Japanese exclusive G1 series has always fascinated me. There is so much I missed out on earlier on. Shout! Factory has the whole collection subtitled, and it's half the price it used to be now.

I will be getting this soon.

Wow. Alpha Trion from Titans Return wave 2 has the worst beast and vehicle modes. Holy shit. Good thing the rest of the wave is such great quality. It really sucks because I think his Robot mode actually looks great.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The later Japanese exclusive G1 series has always fascinated me. There is so much I missed out on earlier on. Shout! Factory has the whole collection subtitled, and it's half the price it used to be now.

You really didn't miss anything. For whatever reason, Transformers in Japan is targeted at a very young audience (even younger than the US show was), and most of it is borderline unwatchable. I've never made it much more than 1/3 of the way through any of them. And that's not even getting into the crazy and sometimes offensive (Arcee reduced to being the Autobots' secretary? Fuck you, Headmasters) changes they make to the characters.

Beth Cyra

You really didn't miss anything. For whatever reason, Transformers in Japan is targeted at a very young audience (even younger than the US show was), and most of it is borderline unwatchable. I've never made it much more than 1/3 of the way through any of them. And that's not even getting into the crazy and sometimes offensive (Arcee reduced to being the Autobots' secretary? Fuck you, Headmasters) changes they make to the characters.
They had some decent moments to be fair.

Magnus VS Six Shot was good for its time.

I also kinda respected how the dumped Prime and Rodimus to focus on new characters.

I think they're well worth a watch if you have a particular interest in what happened next (in an alternate timeline).

I found them interesting to watch, especially after they 'break away' from the US series. Enjoyed seeing Ginrai (Powermaster Prime), Overlord, Fortress Maximus, Deszaras, Star Saber and others in action (look up the eBay prices on Grand Maximus - I want one but goddamn!).

If you get the box set you might also get the bonus TF Zone episode, and then you can look up what happened next..Battlestars (the reincarnated Optimus Prime as Star Convoy and Super Megatron), Operation Combination...and then it kind of wraps up with Metrotitan (Blue Metroplex Decepticon repaint).

Honestly, I love lots of the G1 expanded universe stuff, starting with the Japanese series. Then it's the Transformers Universe comics (fanfictiony but it made me buy the Optimal Optimus repaint, Primal Prime) and on and on and on...

My other G1 interest is the characters that never had the chance to be fleshed out, like the Turbomasters and the Predators. My first ever TF toys and they all just die quickly in their fiction appearances (except Thunderclash).

I'll put my anorak away now!

Buzz Lightyear joins the combiner wars!

I didn't know about these at all. Funny how crazy Japan is about crossing over Transformers with Disney properties. :) Nightmare Before Christmas next, please?

In any case, I don't like the Buzz or the double combiner that much, but the Woody one is pretty awesome. If they came over here at a reasonable price I would pick it up.

1upsuper

I just learned about DX9's Mightron, and I think I'm going to have to pick it up. Getting the gold masterpiece Megatron a few months ago just made me want more Megs, and Apollyon looked too fragile for me. This one looks great and seems to have a fun, involved transformation, which is the most important part for me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I just learned about DX9's Mightron, and I think I'm going to have to pick it up. Getting the gold masterpiece Megatron a few months ago just made me want more Megs, and Apollyon looked too fragile for me. This one looks great and seems to have a fun, involved transformation, which is the most important part for me.

I would suggest taking a long look at the Maketoys one first. Maketoys is generally of a higher quality than DX9.

Aske

I would suggest taking a long look at the Maketoys one first. Maketoys is generally of a higher quality than DX9.

Agreed - I'm not even in the market for a Megatron, but Maketoys' Despotron is tempting me something fierce.

I just caved on FansToys' Soar. Couldn't resist getting in on the new run that's coming end of August. I don't plan to get any other Dinobots, but there's always been something I love about Swoop.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Agreed - I'm not even in the market for a Megatron, but Maketoys' Despotron is tempting me something fierce.

I just caved on FansToys' Soar. Couldn't resist getting in on the new run that's coming end of August. I don't plan to get any other Dinobots, but there's always been something I love about Swoop.

Then you made a wise choice. As a Swoop fan I just couldn't get over how cool the FT one was once I took it out of the box. And the wingspan is huge. While I have a soft spot for Stomp because nobody ever makes Sludges, Soar might really be my favorite of the FT Dinobots so far.

Jaeger

The large bits of kibble on Mightron's back kept me from getting him. Despotron looks so much better.

And with the Japanese exclusive series, the whole franchise in general is aimed at kids. For every serious ep and storyline you would have several silly kiddy eps where no one gets hurt or the ep doesn't deal with the bigger picture/threat. But I still enjoy it I suppose.

Aske

Then you made a wise choice. As a Swoop fan I just couldn't get over how cool the FT one was once I took it out of the box. And the wingspan is huge. While I have a soft spot for Stomp because nobody ever makes Sludges, Soar might really be my favorite of the FT Dinobots so far.

Great to hear. Even with the handful of issues people have had, Soar just seems beloved by all. I keep hearing about how great he feels in hand, and I love his colouring so much. Couldn't settle for anything less than the original blue version, and he's been rare and expensive all year. Glad I can finally get him for under $200.

All the art the bots for the upcoming movie they've been releasing this past week look distinctive except fucking Hot Rod. Why did they do this to Hot Rod :(

Also, did Hasbro get back the name? I thought they couldn't use Hot Rod?

Drayco21

All the art the bots for the upcoming movie they've been releasing this past week look distinctive except fucking Hot Rod. Why did they do this to Hot Rod :(

Also, did Hasbro get back the name? I thought they couldn't use Hot Rod?

I thought Hot Rod was the only art released so far; looking these up, I'm really liking these so far- Sqweeks looks interesting enough, I really dig Drift's new color scheme, Crosshairs design is still pretty fantastic and I hope they figure out a decent toy for him this time out- hopefully we start seeing the Decepticon designs soon, because I want to see what's up with Megatron's tusks.

I'm surprised how much I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The toys will likely be more half-assed junk aimed at a much lower age group than the Prime Wars stuff, just like AoE was. The only real up-side is that Hasbro has said they are well aware that people disliked the drought of real product during the previous movie lines, and are going to try and keep it more balanced this time out. I'm sure the fact that the last two movie lines have severely underperformed while Generations product consistently sells out in a reasonable timeframe has something to do with that, as well.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nice to see them finally getting some character in the faces after five movies. Crosshairs was a repulsive dickhead in 4 but at least he's a distinctive design and not a junkpile.

Also I'm pretty convinced Hot Rod was originally going to be named Cliffjumper.

Drayco21

The toys will likely be more half-assed junk aimed at a much lower age group than the Prime Wars stuff, just like AoE was. The only real up-side is that Hasbro has said they are well aware that people disliked the drought of real product during the previous movie lines, and are going to try and keep it more balanced this time out. I'm sure the fact that the last two movie lines have severely underperformed while Generations product consistently sells out in a reasonable timeframe has something to do with that, as well.

For the most part, sure, but AoE Scorn, Hound and Strafe are some of my favorite figures in years; the one-steps and gimmick figures will make up the majority of it, but if we get some more of the cast with that level of engineering and fun, I'll be more than satisfied.

I'm not sure how you'd even deal with Crosshairs' car door/sides trenchcoat in toy form well, though.

Top Bottom