• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 is a strong year for Japanese games

Klossen

Banned
Anyone else notice how Japan is basically going all-out this year? Despite a shrinking console/dedicated gaming industry, they still seem adamant to make great games for an international audience.

Released

Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate

monster-hunter-4-ultimate-topper.jpg

Gamespot Review said:
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate manages to expand upon the things that people love about the series, while simultaneously making concessions to those getting involved for the first time. It's an absolutely astonishing time-sink, but it rarely feels like a grind; when the game gets its hooks into you, you can expect to find yourself engrossed for at least 80 hours. Those who become truly invested can expect to find their in-game clock running into the hundreds of hours. Sure, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate isn't without some of the series' time-honoured idiosyncrasies, but it's the most streamlined and accessible game yet, and one that's hard not to truly obsess over.

Bloodborne

Edge Magazine Review said:
A dazzling work of dank, abject horror that cements Miyazaki as one of the all-time greats. Sixteen months after PS4's launch, the new generation has finally begun.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Gameinformer Review said:
Purists will decry the changes made to Majora’s Mask no matter how slight they may be, but I am seated firmly in the “change is good” camp. It’s everything you remember, but without the boredom or frustration related to the passage of time.

Splatoon

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

Kirby and the Rainbow World

Dragonball: Xenoverse

Resident Evil: Revelations 2

Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea

Final Fantasy: Type 0/Episode Duscae

Toukiden Kiwami

Upcoming 2015 Titles

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Persona 5

Yakuza 5

Yoshi’s Wooly World

Devil's Third

Fatal Frame 5

Tekken 7

Bravely Second: End Layer

Mighty No. 9

Disgaea 5

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

Tales of Zestiria

Dragon Quest Heroes

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter

Yo-Kai Watch

God Eater 2: Rage Burst

Digimon: Cyber Sleuth

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

Rodea The Sky Soldier

Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4

What did I miss? Seems fairly impressive for such a small percentage of the total gaming industry workforce to pump out so much greats consistently.

nib95

Banned
Definitely a solid stream of releases. Would not be at all surprised if a Japanese game wins GAF's 2015 GOTY. I'm sure you've still missed out a fair few as well, such as Disgaea 5 for example.

Definitely a solid stream of releases. Would not be at all surprised if a Japanese game wins GAF's 2015 GOTY. I'm sure you've still missed out a fair few as well, such as Disgaea 5 for example.

Well most of the conestants are Japanese....MGSV, Persona 5, Bloodborne.

18-Volt

Add that list Yokai Watch 3, Tales of Zestria, God Eater 2 Rage Burst and Digimon Cyber Sleuth as well. Hopefully we'll see some more great announcements at TGS or something.

Tohsaka

I'd add Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls, Tales of Zestiria, Dragon Quest Heroes, Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy, J-Stars Victory Vs+, Senran Kagura 2/Estival Versus, Legend of Heroes; Trails in the Sky SC, Corpse Party: Blood Drive, and some others I can't think of at the moment.

Hell yeah. Some games I'm looking forward to that aren't in OP: Disgaea 5, Dangonronpa Ultimate Despair Girls, and the re-release of Steins;Gate on PS platforms

salromano

Missing lots, but here's some of the confirmed localizations:

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (PS Vita)

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (PS3, PS Vita)

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (PS4)

Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4)

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight (3DS)

Godzilla (PS4, PS3)

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (3DS)

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Century (PS Vita)

Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (PS Vita)

J-Stars Victory VS+ (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven (3DS)

Lost Dimension (PS3, PS Vita)

Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (PS4)

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (PS4, PS3, PS Vita, PC)

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (PS Vita)

Persona 4: Dancing All Night (PS Vita)

Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition (3DS)

Rodea the Sky Soldier (Wii U, 3DS)

Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul (PS4, PS3, PC)

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (3DS)

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker (3DS)

Steins;Gate (PS3, PS Vita)

Stella Glow (3DS)

Tales of Zestiria (PS3)

XBlaze Lost: Memories (PS3, PS Vita)

Yo-Kai Watch (3DS, maybe 2015, I dunno?)

I'm sure MGS V will win GOTY for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, etc. etc.

JordanN

Banned
In a perfect world; MS, Sony and Nintendo would put aside their differences and try and inject Japan with some life support.

Like, put into a pit $1 billion aimed at Japanese Publishers and say "go make something for us".

Kudo

Eiyuu Senki (Ps3) should come this summer too.
Also at the moment Japan-only upcoming Natsuiro Highschool (Ps3/Ps4) and GalGun Double Peace (Ps4/PsVita).

Rathorial

Well the list is better than last year, but quite a few of those titles are sequels to franchises, or remakes/remasters.

I'd say only a few get me excited.

List is awesome.
I just want Persona 5 to actually release this year. I also want it to actually be localised in the UK this. Atlus plz.

dramatis

Anyone else notice how Japan is basically going all-out this year? Despite a shrinking console/dedicated gaming industry, they still seem adamant to make great games for an international audience.
The slate looks great this year, but I would argue that most of those games aren't made for the international audience.

impact

Banned
It's ok. Majority of the list is not good but there's enough great stuff like Bloodborne to keep me happy.

Japanese gaming's downfall has to do with the Japanese gamers and their love for mobile and handheld, not the developers.

Top Bottom