• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone think VR won't become a huge part of the gaming landscape?

oni-link

I see a lot of people who are understandably excited for VR, and what it can offer for gaming, but really I think it could go one of two ways, it could end up as something that will become the main way we play games and a way a lot of games are played, or it could be something really cool that is mainly enjoyed by enthusiasts

I get the impression that most people seem to feel like it's going to be huge and become a large part of gaming going forward, but does anyone think it won't?

Personally I think it could go either way, as I can't really see the majority of people who want to play games wanting to wear goggles or use motion controls every time (I mean other than the gyro in the goggles) nor can I see most people coming home to their loved ones and opting to sit in their own world wearing goggles

That said, it does offer a lot of exciting opportunities and the chance to really immerse the player in a game world

So how important do you think VR will be with regards to gaming in the next decade? Mainstream or niche? Permanent fixture or passing fad?

What do you think?

Permanent fixture. But it won't replace easily the normal gaming systems, it will be something like a total 1/4-1/5 of the gaming industry.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I have no idea. All I know is that it is one of the hardest sells in gaming history since the only way one might give a shit is to try it. No conference will change that. No expos will change that. It needs to be demoed in every damn major retailer it can be. That's pretty tough.

Even then? Well, judging by the Oculus conference, it's about as interesting as Kinect is to me. Not very.

Not this headset incarnation anyway at the prices they are probably going to charge.

But hey they will be able to make the tech cheaper in the years to come so I could be wrong.

I think it will become a large part of gaming. Will it become the "majority" of gaming? I don't think so. Not every game is conducive to VR so the alternative will always have a space. But I do think it will go beyond the enthusiast crowd. Especially when the technology advances enough and gets cheap enough where you can buy a standalone headset for $99 .

Helznicht

Huge part of my gaming landscape. Don't really care about the rest. There will always be indies creating content for VR even if it does not make it mainstream.

Courage

We have Sony, Valve and Facebook getting involved. You bet your ass it's gonna be big, whether we like it or not.

Dunkley

Niche, honestly I feel like regardless of how well VR is marketed it seems unlikely that it will be mainstream.

But who knows?

ironcreed

Banned
I think it stands to have a bigger impact outside of gaming. Obviously when it is cheaper. I know that is where my interest in it lies.

Interfectum

I would wager the average customer doesn't want to wear shit on their heads and face while consuming entertainment. All these investors are in for a pretty big awakening when these devices hit shelves, IMO.

I think all consoles will have VR headsets and there could be "arcade" type places in cities where they have extremely high end PCs running headsets along with all the other VR paraphernalia you can imagine eg. omnidirectional treadmills, LED suits etc. so people can pay for eg. an hour long top of the range experience, probably multiplayer with their friends.

Depends on price and support. Don't think it'll be a big part right away, likely a couple years from now when the tech gets better and cheaper with more games to play that support it.
Sounds like it's expensive to get it to run properly, so I'm not sure I see it getting a ton of console support anytime soon and few PC gamers will be able to use it properly.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's years if not decades away, although I guess it depends on how you define huge. To me I'm defining it as a 100 million+ selling mainstream device.

Ramsiege

It's going to bomb hard. VR, like motion controls, will be a fad, though it will never get even close to as big as motion controls were during the height of the Wii's popularity.

It's expensive, there are to many variations, and a lot of people won't like the anti social-like behavior this will require to fully enjoy.

oni-link

We have Sony, Valve and Facebook getting involved. You bet your ass it's gonna be big, whether we like it or not.

Back in 2008 we had Sony, MS and Nintendo all working on and pushing pointer/motion controls, as of 2015 they're more or less dead in core gaming

It's not a perfect comparison, but the point is just because a lot of people are pushing something doesn't mean consumers will care about it once the novelty wears off

And we had every TV manufacture and hollywood pushing 3D as the next big revolution in the living room.

Simply because these big corporations get behind something doesn't guarantee success.

Another good example

ironcreed

Banned
I would wager the average customer doesn't want to wear shit on their heads and face while consuming entertainment. All these investors are in for a pretty big awakening when these devices hit shelves, IMO.

Agreed. Even though I think it could be bigger for things like watching sports events, virtual tours, etc. I still think it will be a cornered market for quite some time. The masses are not going to rush out to buy these expensive headsets.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Long term? Absolutely a large part
Short term? Niche

I can see into the future, a lot of the "serious gamers" can't.

And by long term I mean many years into the future

Shai-Tan

Banned
It depends on whether you mean near term or long term. In the near term the large cost of buy in on competing transitional products and the power required to drive 3d will make it a very niche product.

More than that, a killer app hasn't been created yet although the control schemes are starting to get good enough that we can see on the horizon the uniqueness of the experience revealing itself.

In the long term I do think it will be important because fatigue with traditional experiences as genres become self similar and offer very little that is new. The new ways to play games will revitalize existing genres and maybe create a few new ones.

Interfectum

And we had every TV manufacture and hollywood pushing 3D as the next big revolution in the living room.

Simply because these big corporations get behind something doesn't guarantee success.

Well we have Valve, Facebook, Sony and now Google getting on the VR Front. If Microsoft and Amazon join in I would say VR is here to stay.

Edit: We also have Samsung Gear & Google Cardboard if you count those too.

Blobbers

Current estimation:
5-10 million lifetime Oculii sold, tops.
Maybe a bit more for Vive.
Morpheus has a chance.

Odds are VR is doomed to remain niche. But we should at least wait and see what they price these bad boys at.

KooopaKid

Banned
ACwSX.jpg

Hip Hop

Yup.

The money being spent on this is insane, pretty much everybody is involved.

This will make VR huge, whether you believe it or not.

Weren't those TV's also very expensive? I feel like there is less of a barrier of entry when it comes to VR on all fronts.

Pop

VR will be bigger outside of gaming. Just imagine all the other possibilities instead of gaming.

Could have been something special yesterday but Oculus screwed that up. Hopefully Sony actually shows some new demos of what you could expect when wearing a VR headset.

Oppo

Such hand-wringing around this. I don't get it.

dude819 said:
VR is 2015's 3D. It will come and go just the same.
I really doubt that.

3d was pushed on audiences from the top-down, from corporations looking for another differentiator to charge more for.

VR started grassroots, as evidenced by the insane meteoric rise of Oculus from Kickstarter to Facebook multi billion dollar purchase.

Also, seriously, who bets against anything Valve finds interesting.

Sou

VR is more likely to inspire a whole new genre of "games" and reach a different set of audience outside of the existing console crowd.

Newman96

I'm not sure it'll do particularly well within the mainstream, personally I think it's cool tech but not what I want when playing video games. I don't think the general public will warm to it as easily as they did with the Wii

cackhyena

I'm just not a fan of the idea of VR in the first place. Already unsettled by the idea it's gonna eat up a good chunk of E3 time.

Shai-Tan

Banned
VR is 2015's 3D. It will come and go just the same.

I think the fault with that comparison is that home tv 3d is a very inferior experience between active glasses, passive glasses that use half resolution, tvs not being large enough to experience scene depth, etc. Maybe VR manufacturers can't deliver but I think it's already much more viable.

Nikodemos

Back in 2008 we had Sony, MS and Nintendo all working on and pushing pointer/motion controls, as of 2015 they're more or less dead in core gaming
Motion controls are incredibly shit without VR. Classic controls are incredibly shit with VR.

Courage

Fair enough, but there will definitely be a massive push. It ultimately depends on how the market will react to it.

MaDKaT

For games? Not initially. I do see it doing very well but it will take time and the headsets will need to shrink.

VR won't become a huge part of anything. It is going to be the motion control fad of the next years and then slowly die.

Current estimation:
5-10 million lifetime Oculii sold, tops.
Maybe a bit more for Vive.
Morpheus has a chance.

Odds are VR is doomed to remain niche. But we should at least wait and see what they price these bad boys at.

5-10 million for Oculus?! More like 500k to 1 million if lucky.

Seanspeed

Banned
VR's just gonna be a fad. It's just like 3D. Plus, I don't want to stick something on my face. What will my friends think? And what if somebody steals my dog while I'm playing? PS4 isn't even powerful enough to do VR anyways.

Top Bottom