• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vainglory |OT| Mobile MOBA

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

VAINGLORY IS A F2P MOBA PERFECTED FOR TOUCH
Outplay real opponents in this deep, uncompromising real-time MOBA. Fight with lightning-fast controls using powerful heroes. Destroy the enemy Vain crystal and claim glory! Watch the preview video now to see real gameplay of 3-vs-3 multiplayer battles.

A top-class MOBA that works extremely well on iOS/Android devices. It looks beautiful, it's fun to play - and doesn't cost a dime to sample its considerable charms.

Links
iOS : Android

Shit is super dope, and is now out for free on iOS & Android phones/tablets.

It's tremendously fun, and I encourage people who are interested in playing a MOBA on a mobile device to give it a shot. The F2P hooks are similar to other MOBA games: they cycle free playable characters every week, and you can spend in-game currency to unlock the characters. You can buy that in-game currency with real money or earn it by playing.

Check out the hero info and hero guides to get a good start.

Add GAF in-game:
jonbones
Saucycarpdog
DrAquaFresh
fireotter
dokterr
Wthermans

DrArchon

What's the pricing model here? Is it F2P and if you, how bad is it?

The designs of the characters are pretty cool. I like how the aren't just direct rips of Dota/WC3 heroes.

jon bones

What's the pricing model here? Is it F2P and if you, how bad is it?

The designs of the characters are pretty cool. I like how the aren't just direct rips of Dota/WC3 heroes.

The F2P hooks are similar to other MOBA games: they cycle free playable characters every week, and you can spend in-game currency to unlock the characters. You can buy that in-game currency with real money or earn it by playing.

It's not bad at all, and you start with a bunch of in-game currency so you can unlock a couple characters quickly.

Firehead

Should put the links to the app stores in the topic, yo Android / iOS

Game doesn't look bad... really skeptical about a "mobile MOBA" though. Gonna check it out.

Tag is Fireotter

DrArchon

The F2P hooks are similar to other MOBA games: they cycle free playable characters every week, and you can spend in-game currency to unlock the characters. You can buy that in-game currency with real money or earn it by playing.

It's not bad at all, and you start with a bunch of in-game currency so you can unlock a couple characters quickly.

That's good to hear! I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Peterthumpa

I'm impressed the android release is the same as iOS. Will give it a shot tonight.

It's been available on iOS for 7 months already. They're just relaunching it as "Vainglory 1.0" with a host of new updates, tweaks, customizations and so on.

I really recommend it, it is definitely the best MOBA on mobile. The characters are largely unique and interesting. The map itself has 1 lane but multiple jungle objectives.

All in all, it fits the platform really well.

My tag: DocAquaFresh

Add me if you want to play sometime, I have to redownload it as every time I try to get a GAF group going it falls through.

jon bones

updated OP with links and a running GAF list

I really recommend it, it is definitely the best MOBA on mobile. The characters are largely unique and interesting. The map itself has 1 lane but multiple jungle objectives.

All in all, it fits the platform really well.

My tag: DocAquaFresh

Add me if you want to play sometime, I have to redownload it as every time I try to get a GAF group going it falls through.

hopefully that'll be a lot easier now that it's out on Android

Aon

I've played maybe 50 games of this over the last month, it's a pretty damn good effort for an ipad. The three person team with one jungler, carry and roaming support makes teamwork really intuitive, even without any proper communication. Some items are even colour coded to tell you what class of items they counter. Easy recommendation if you're travelling and looking for a multiplayer game.

I was pretty impressed with this when I played it late last year. I'd still rather play Dota any day, but if you're not ready to jump into that madness or you want something you can play on your tablet, Vainglory is the best mobile MOBA I've found.

Donuts

Genuinely curious about this after being a long time League of Legends player. Maybe I'll take the dive one of these days.

Kade

Been playing a little bit of this before bed and other times where I can't access my PC to play Dota 2 or Heroes of The Storm and it's pretty fun. I wish there was a way to turn off the game audio though since I'd like to use this as my on-the-go podcast game. You can add me if you want: Kade0451. Added everyone in the OP.

Coppanuva

I made an account, can't really play it much for a few weeks though. Coppanuva if anyone wants to add me.

Do we know how often new characters are coming out? Debating if I should spend my glory as needed, or wait for some.

Durden77

Whoa...this game is like WAY better than it has any right to be. It's dripping with polish, very well thought out, and has some genuinely clever takes on MOBAs.

I'm very surprised. Thought it was gonna suck but I've been hooked on it for like a day.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Anyone think that the process of getting skins might be a little screwed up?
Whoa...this game is like WAY better than it has any right to be. It's tripping with polish, very well thought out, and has some of it's genuinely clever takes on MOBAs.

I'm very surprised. Thought it was gonna suck but I've been hooked on it for like a day.
Lol, this game might own the mobile market.

Wthermans

Banned
Love the game. Been playing since launch. I am pretty terrible, but mad addicted. Love me some Celeste and Skaarf. Haven't bought Rona yet.

IGN is same as GAF. Wthermans

Durden77

Lol, this game might own the mobile market.

Playing MOBAs in bed is the future.

But for real though, I'm very surprised. I'm playing this more than LoL right now, mainly cause of convenience but still. It's really cool because it's not necessarily better or worse than other MOBAs, it's just different. I expected that it would have to be inherently worse.

Maximo

Interesting love MOBAs to death but on a phone ? How weird, ill definitely give it a download today and give this a bump later with my impressions.

iamblades

I played a couple casual games and it seems ok.

The business model is not ideal for me, but it's way better than LoL in that you don't have to grind out summoners and masteries and rune pages just to have basic functionality like being able to jungle etc.

Technically it is impressive, looks great and runs very smoothly on my phone(nexus 5).

General movement seems a bit slow(basically every heroes base movement feels like CM without boots), but understandable because of the control scheme. Getting used to last hitting without blocking the creep health bars with your finger is tricky, might be better on a tablet though.

Apparently the people playing casual games on this have mostly never played a moba before, constantly people just running into towers and stuff.

Gameplay balance seems to inherit all of the worst traits from league. Items are mostly stat sticks that get better and better the more you upgrade them, ranged heroes have infinite kite potential, utility and CC are grossly underpowered relative to pure stats.

All in all not the worst game I've played. Better technically than LoL, and more interesting to play than HotS. The controls work great aside from the aforementioned blocking of healthbars while last hitting.

Hero pool seems a bit limited at the moment, but it's only a 3v3 game, so you don't need as many to fill out the teams.

mnannola

Wow this game is the most in depth mobile game I have played in a while. More complex than Heroes of the storm, and runs and looks great on my OnePlus One. The UI is well thought out and a pleasure to use. AI seems crappy but hopefully it gets better later on.

Will put some hours into it for sure.

iamblades

OK so I played a couple more games, and yeah you are definitely going to want to play this on a tablet.

There's a hero in this game that is like a cross between techies and nature's prophet, but his minions are tiny and really difficult to click accurately in fights. If you don't kill them before they reach you, they blow you up real good.

Still mostly been playing ringo, and just abusing the fuck out of kiting and his passive(free crit after every creep kill) which I don't think people understand yet. Been starting out like 10 and 0 every game only dying when i get focused in the later game team fights.

I don't think this game is exactly balanced, but I haven't done much in depth theory crafting on it.

Maximo

Probably better on a tablet then phone maybe cause I just have glasses but after six games my eyes already started hurting.
Otherwise it's the best mobile MOBA I have played not sure if that is a huge compliment or not but yeah!
Classes are inspired by others but it seems like every single MOBA is these days so not a big deal there, balance is alittle shaky although I haven't played every class yet.
Just from the few games I have played in did really enjoy it, Hearthstone was the only mobile game I have on my phone for the last...half year or so but looks like Vanglory is joining it for some wasted past time.

RS4-

Looks like friends list is region locked?

Only person I could add was Jonbones. My ID is "dokterr"

Kade

Looks like friends list is region locked?

Only person I could add was Jonbones. My ID is "dokterr"

Weird. I'm in North America and it let me add everyone.

The netcode in this game is pretty junk sometimes. Even on my fast home connection I'm getting "Poor network connection" messages with 200+ ms lag and rubberbanding.

Durden77

Weird. I'm in North America and it let me add everyone.

The netcode in this game is pretty junk sometimes. Even on my fast home connection I'm getting "Poor network connection" messages with 200+ ms lag and rubberbanding.

I'm gettin that too when I'm next to my router. Doesn't seem to affect my game much though.

Add me if ya want, I'm bawlsaq. Lol always the name I use when I try mobile games. Stuck with it though cause I love this one.

Only played the tutorial but this looks like it'll be great. Not a fan of it having last hit just cause that can be hard on mobile.

But more importantly, anyone know how to cheat iOS store region? I'd like to play it in English haha

Anno

Nice to see people are having fun here. I really liked VG when it launched on iOS, guess I need to get back in.

Had to pull out my N7 2013 to play this.

played on a team that knew how to play. played a second game with a team that didn't know what to do. (y)

i had fun. would play again.

donnaben

Taka is the most overused character in the game. All the new players pick him because if you make a mistake you can just use your box and run away. I cringe whenever a random teammate picks taka.

Top Bottom