• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm thinking I just got hacked on PSN

pizzacat

Banned
im looking at my bank statement this morning and 3 charges from psn surprise me. 1 for $30, 1 for $5 and 1 for $20

Sure enough I look at my accounts purchase history and I now own Lego Jurassic world, some other game mouse craft I think and a psp game.

I know people have had issues with Sony before but what can I do?

JamesAR15

You didn't happen to be using your DS4 on a PC or anything? I have heard of people doing that and it was also controlling the PS4 and ended up buying stuff. Either way I would definitely change your password and remove your CC.

OneUh8

You didn't happen to be using your DS4 on a PC or anything? I have heard of people doing that and it was also controlling the PS4 and ended up buying stuff. Either way I would definitely change your password and remove your CC.
Wow.... That's crazy.

pizzacat

Banned
No I use Xbox one controller for that.

Also change your passwords.

Though actually in my case I did this and Sony thought it was the hacker, and my account got shut down for it. All I can say is good luck, my account got rinsed for FIFA points, and Sony (EU) were an absolute nightmare to deal with. Almost lost access to my account with £200+ worth of games on it.

pizzacat

Banned
Mousecraft is a PS+ game OP.
Dude bought it anyway somehow

tS8BloDh.jpg

FelipeMGM

Since you were charged $55 you must have bought only LEGO Jurassic World, assuming you had a extra 5 bucks on your account. Mousecraft is a PS+ game

EDIT: Gawd, I figured out all wrong

pizzacat

Banned
What really pisses me off was that he bought like the lamest games.

Need for speed carbon for the psp

Mouse craft

Lego Jurassic

Give me that guilty gear on sale man

big_z

I would remove payment, change password, make sure your ps4 and any other sony platform is set to primary and take the loss. Sony is awful with customer service and hacking related issues and you would be risking losing the account trying to deal with them.

Footos22

use Paypal with a different email address than your psn account.

Why people still leave their card details with psn is beyond me.

I would remove payment, change password, make sure your ps4 and any other sony platform is set to primary and take the loss. Sony is awful with customer service and hacking related issues and you would be risking losing the account trying to deal with them.

I wouldn't go that far; they're absolutely dreadful, but you just need to be persistent. And unfortunately, they usually respond best to getting irate. If you're calm and give them lots of "I understand it's taking a while, that's fine" you won't get anywhere.

pizzacat

Banned
Since you were charged $55 you must have bought only LEGO Jurassic World, assuming you had a extra 5 bucks on your account. Mousecraft is a PS+ game

EDIT: Gawd, I figured out all wrong
Actually mousecraft was free, the person just bought the vita version of Jurassic world and 2 racing games

t64ISYH.jpg

Because he REALLY needs his racing on the go

I'm thinking he bought Lego Jurassic because he saw the motorcycle and assumed it was a third racing game

I'm not even sure how he could do this.

When I first signed my account into PSN on PS4, in order to buy anything I needed re-input my payment details, just like when I first signed into my second PS3.

When I buy online on webstore, I need input the security code on the back of my card for every purchase that costs money.

pizzacat

Banned
I wouldn't go that far; they're absolutely dreadful, but you just need to be persistent. And unfortunately, they usually respond best to getting irate. If you're calm and give them lots of "I understand it's taking a while, that's fine" you won't get anywhere.
Just called and they're aren't even open right now lmao.

I called 800-345-SONY. Not sure if that's the one I should call or not

pizzacat

Banned
I'm not even sure how he could do this.

When I first signed my account into PSN on PS4, in order to buy anything I needed re-input my payment details, just like when I first signed into my second PS3.

When I buy online on webstore, I need input the security code on the back of my card for every purchase that costs money.
I have my card as my first payment option, I'm the only one who uses the ps4, I have a PSTV but it's offline anyway. I even have a passcode for the ps4.

I'm not even sure how he did it

acm2000

why dont you people use credit cards or paypal? both offer you protection, goodluck with sony, you're gonna need it

Just called and they're aren't even open right now lmao.

I called 800-345-SONY. Not sure if that's the one I should call or not

Ah it's US, they may be better then I don't know. If I remember rightly this was taking place at the time they split the PS between "Playstation" and the "Sony Entertainment Network", whch only made it more confusing.

My struggles.

why dont you people use credit cards or paypal? both offer you protection, goodluck with sony, you're gonna need it

If you chargeback on either Sony will forever ban your account. They only offer protection so much that you need sacrifice you entire digital library.

Hello!

9zUwL3uh.jpg

As I mentioned I only have a ps4 and pstv that's registered but never online, how do I see the specifics as to what is registered and how do I deactivate these things

I think the desktop site's probably your best bet. You get to see the model and name of the system.

Yep desktop site is the way to go about things and find out what machine has been activated.

Anyway, why so many account hacks? I think there's a major security breach on PSN, sony shoule fix it. Until now I saw a lot of people with PS4 getting hacked, maybe the breach is PS4 only?

I've not seen that many considering the millions of PSN accounts out there.... it's certainly a problem and the biggest issue is that Sonys support actually isn't that great in these circumstances.

pizzacat

Banned
So it says I have 1 ps4 and 2 vitas, probably the pstv being one of them, do I leave it how it is before I call Sony?

Anyway, why so many account hacks? I think there's a major security breach on PSN, sony shoule fix it. Until now I saw a lot of people with PS4 getting hacked, maybe the breach is PS4 only?

More likely phishing, people using the same e-mail/password on other sites that got breached, or straight up contacting Sony and providing just enough accurate info that Sony believe you're the account holder.

So it says I have 1 ps4 and 2 vitas, probably the pstv being one of them, do I leave it how it is before I call Sony?

If you changed your password leave it as is for now so Sony can see what happened. Don't want to blow your one time per 6 month deactivation imo.

SomTervo

There are a lot more details on your Account page on the desktop website. Go there and root around.

Have you taken off your cards/changed your password?

FYI buying credit off Amazon is instant. The code shows up right there on the web page after you click 'buy'.

There's literally no reason to put your card on there. I've only just taken mine off actually, it was a real crutch by the end. Just go on Amazon, look up 'PSN code', buy whatever amount you need (has £5/$5 increments all the way up to £50/$50 IIRC) and voila, you have your credit instantly and very securely.

I dunno, man. If it was me I'd definitely deactivate the vita that you know isn't yours AFTER changing your password so they can't just reactivate.

If you changed your password leave it as is for now so Sony can see what happened. Don't want to blow your one time per 6 month deactivation imo.

Or listen to this guy. Sorry. Honestly, I'm not sure what to tell you since I've never dealt with this before. Now I'm all paranoid and want to check my activated devices.

Nah it's mostly phishing, keyloggers or using passwords/usernames accross multiple services that gets people in trouble.

laser

Neo Member

1. Phishing.
2. People reuse their Username and PW on other sites that aren't as secure, and those sites get hacked. Then the hackers pretty much spam all the major sites looking to be able to log in with the hacked UN and PW.

It's more likely to be located/traced if it's left up there I guess.

What they did with my account was apparently create a duplicate of my system with the same system ID so they couldn't be located though. Crazy.

MageBoySA

This isn't a Sony breach. If it was, we'd have heard about it, and forced password changes would have happened. Things like this are usually a weak password that gets brute forced. (Of shared passwords between different accounts that get picked up from one and tested on others.) At lot of this is probably leftovers from heartbleed just getting used now.

Have you logged into PSN on your PC recently? I'd run your favorite scanner for keyloggers. Maybe it's time for a nice reformat.

PreFire

I just use PSN credits.

Idk how anyone could leave their card info on PSN with their history of being hacked.

Go to bestbuy, buy a $50 PSN card and add it to your account. Also, change your password.

pizzacat

Banned
I'm 19 and just got approved for my first credit card last weekend but I needed a deposit for it like $300, luckily I've been saving for some extra classes for next term so I at least will have enough for the week but damn it's just an inconvenience

Top Bottom