• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Steins;Gate ~ The tears fell—but not for the reasons I expected (SPOILERS/Pics)

Andrefpvs

WARNING! Spoilers for the entire game. Also, people on mobile data might want to leave right now, there are way too many pics on this page.
——————————— Playlist for this thread :) ㅤ———————————

So, a few months ago, I decided to play Steins;Gate. I was intrigued by its premise, and since I also somewhat recently got into visual novels, I figured I'd try one of the classics. The fact that a PS Vita port of the game was released also helped -- I mean, who doesn't love reading in bed? So, this past summer, this was basically me:

sAJ3B4Al.jpg

I try to go into new experiences with as little expectations as possible -- I find that this is the best way to enjoy any type of media. But, it's not really financially responsible to buy a game without at least getting some idea of what I'm getting into. So I looked around here a little bit.

"I had to take a break afterwards."
"I was destroyed by the end."
"In general there were several scenes that made me really cry."
"All of the feels."

— Actual quotes from fellow NeoGAF members

Oh hey, that's all I need to know! I like going on an emotional ride. So I suppose this is a sci-fi adventure with tearjerker elements? Heh, let's do this!

...Little did I know that tears would indeed fall from my eyes, but not for any of the reasons I expected.

Let's start at the beginning. What follows are my impressions of the game as the story unfolded.

=====================================
1 - Tutturwhat?

Steins;Gate begins by introducing us to the main character, Okabe Rintaro. Actually, the game begins with a possibly well-made intro video that I deliberately didn't watch. I just can't trust Japanese developers to not spoil their games in their intros.

But I digress. The game introduces Okabe, or "Okarin", as his childhood friend Mayuri affectionately calls him. It also gives an answer to what the hell a Steins Gate is:

01g3EU5l.jpg

Uh. Okay then.

It quickly becomes evident that Okabe suffers from severe immaturity. For some reason, he tries to present himself as this exaggerated supernatural character, a self-proclaimed "Mad Scientist" named "Hououin Kyouma". And he has no problems doing this in public.

Turns out there is a word for this kind of behaviour: chuunibyou. Oh yeah, one of the great things about Steins;Gate is that it knows not everyone will be familiar with the terms it throws at you, so it includes a built-in encyclopedia. It's seriously handy.

RRbJcQcl.jpg

Oh. So you're telling me it's not this?

So, Okabe doesn't really appear to be a likeable guy. He would, however, grow to be one of my favourite characters.

Most of the prologue is full of inane events that totally don't matter and you should absolutely forget about them. Oh, except that a girl named Makise Kurisu got murdered. And a crowd of hundreds of people suddenly evaporated when Okabe sent an email. Y'know, just your standard Wednesday.

2 - It's a time machine, dummies

With the prologue over, the game introduces the rest of Okabe's friends, some of which work(?) at the laboratory he founded. He calls his colleagues "lab mems", short for "laboratory members", because Steins Gate forbid a Japanese teenager not abbreviate everything for the sake of I don't even know.

Turns out Okarin's friends (barely) tolerate his 13-year-old-syndrome persona, and life goes on as normal. Except Okabe can't get what happened in the prologue out of his mind. It just makes no scientific sense, even for a mad scientist.

By chance, or the will of Steins Gate (or narrative convenience), Okabe runs into Makise Kurisu, the girl he had previously seen in a pool of blood. Except this time, she doesn't appear to be mortally wounded. Also, it turns out the email he had sent that day somehow got sent to the past. Well slap my chicken and call me Mayushii, something ain't right here.

Okabe swiftly tries to get to the bottom of the mystery (and under Kurisu's shirt, for a quick autopsy). Oh, by the way, Kurisu is an actual scientist, thesis published and everything, despite having just turned eighteen. That's actually amazing -- I wouldn't want any twenty-something-year-old senior citizens in my teenage thriller.

You can immediately understand that Kurisu is driven by science. Even though she's mad at Okabe's shenanigans, notice the subtle shifts in her expression as she gets more and more curious about the zombie girl + email mysteries:

kNJg2v9.gif

However, there's not much time to think about this right now. Kurisu has to give a speech on -- oh hey! How convenient! -- time travel.

Now, it's at this point that I really start to respect Steins;Gate for what it's trying to do. It throws theories at you, but it clearly explains what parts of the theory are purely hypothetical, which ones require unproven elements (such as wormholes and exotic matter), and what could be actually done if we had the technology.

yGYZ2tCl.jpg

All of this tickled my engineer brain the right way. I found myself pondering and analysing what was being said, sometimes even proposing an answer before it actually appeared on the screen. Fun times.

Okabe and Kurisu, science lovers that they are, quickly start ferociously discussing the plausibility of time travel among themselves, completely disregarding everyone else in the room. You can probably guess how this is going to end up, and it's also going to involve a room.

flR1sBdl.jpg

Oi, dead girl, stop calling me out while I'm listening to my sweet tunes

Kurisu is legitimately intrigued by Okabe's email machine, which, by the way, is a phone and a microwave taped together. Serendipity, or whatever. So, she decides to join his lab. Okabe names her his assistant and starts calling her "Christina", because Hououin Kyouma.

After this, the team starts investigating the PhoneWave (I almost want to snog the creative genius that came up with this name). What does it do, how does it work, etcetera. Long story short, everything that goes in it returns to its previous state at a certain moment in the past. If that something has mass (or energy) above a certain threshold, it also turns into a jellified substance (or is lost, respectively).

At this point, Steins;Gate can be a bit infuriating due to how scientific the characters must act. To the attentive reader, it's already obvious what the PhoneWave is. It's a time machine, but we must test all 65535 variables before we can safely declare that conclusion. It's a time machine, but what if it's "just" a teleporter? It's a time machine, but what if it just hates chicken and bananas specifically?

It's a time machine, dummies.

0myLcT3l.jpg

Thank. You.

3 - Human community, Quiet air

I didn't mind the long science sessions because it's so rare to see actual scientific methods being explored instead of the usual "instantaneous science" that is common in fiction.

But what follows after the discovery of the PhoneWave's function is a real test of endurance to the curiosity of the reader. I'll get there in a bit.

So the microwave can send email to the past. At the same time, there is an online poster by the name of John Titor who's going around claiming he is a time traveller from the year 2036. Titor says that in the future, a method for physical time travel is developed by research organization CERN SERN. SERN used this technology to rule the world, and that's a big no-no, so Titor's mission is to change this future.

Okabe remembers a John Titor from the early 2000s, who allegedly travelled back in time to find an IBM 5100 IBN 5100 computer so he could debug legacy software written in a proprietary language. This hidden function of the IBN 5100 turned it into a small urban legend.

Around this time, Okabe also meets a totally harmless young lady named Kiryu Moeka, who's obsessively looking for an IBN 5100 for her work.

Speaking of John Titor, SERN, and the IBN 5100, there's this new part-timer at the CRT store below that's saying some very interesting things:

92wKUGYl.jpg

eynriLIl.jpg

8Y8BFgol.jpg

"Y-yeah..."
Nio3kcJl.jpg

sgIZ2W3l.jpg

Let's talk a bit about Suzuha. On a first playthrough, it's incredibly easy to miss just how full of intention most of her interactions with Okabe are. What seems like idle chatter is actually the game bombarding you with hints about her nature.

I know this might have been obvious to many people, but I'm not ashamed to say that I was not expecting the reveal of who Suzuha really is, despite all the hints being there from the very beginning. This was very interesting for me, especially since I tend to overanalyse these things and spoil myself in the process.

If you have access to the game, I suggest (as a fun exercise) skipping through the beginning of the game until Suzuha's parts. It's amazing how it's all there.

Back to the story, and since Okabe thinks all of this can't be a coincidence, he decides to track down an IBN 5100 of his own, and asks his hacker friend Daru to hack into SERN, to find out if they really are as bad as Titor claims. Hey, what could go wrong?

Turns out Daru is the real deal, and is able to hack into SERN. Y'know, the inventors of the World Wide Web? No biggie. Meanwhile, Okabe also finds an IBN 5100. It's almost as if the world wanted all of this to happen. Everything's coming up Okarin.

With the info they gather from SERN's private files, they find out that SERN has been indeed researching time travel, and is even experimenting on humans! All of the humans so far turn into a jellified substance upon travelling, losing their lives.

With all this hard evidence, Okabe feels validated, and everyone at the lab is forced to admit that this is more than a simple conspiracy theory.

By this time (and this is what I was talking about earlier), it's normal to think that the game is taking way too long to get going. There are a lot of inane conversations and events, and I can totally see why some people would lose interest at this point. It's valid criticism. However, in my opinion, this overly long set-up plays a very important role further ahead in the game. I'll address that later.

4 - D-Mail

On a lucky streak and feeling like a god, Okabe declares that the lab should further improve the PhoneWave in order to outwit SERN's time travel efforts.

But Okabe has his priorities sorted out, and he decides we must first come up with a cool name for our time-travelling emails.

This isn't really relevant, but when Okabe said this, I remember thinking to myself: "Hmm... it's an email that goes back in time... I think 'Retromail' would be a good name."

Seconds later...

zJDfETSl.jpg

I want to marry this woman.

After feeling disproportionately proud of myself for this, the characters settle on the inferior name D-Mail, named after the DeLorean in "Back to the Future".

Oh, by the way, let me just pause here for a bit and talk about how amazing the art in this game is. It's seriously gorgeous to look at. What's up with the arm belts, though? Oh, and are you listening to the playlist I posted at the top of this post? Isn't the soundtrack so good? Steins Gatedamn.

Anyway. After yet another long session of sciencing, the lab mems figure out the conditions for having D-Mails work all the time. So, it's time to experiment a lot and try to change the past in various ways, in yet another "what could go wrong" moment for everyone except Okabe.

D-mails, as it turns out, actually work. If the D-Mail would actually trigger the Butterfly Effect, then the world actually changes, and apparently Okabe is the only one who can perceive this (an ability he calls Reading Steiner, for no reason whatsoever).

Okabe's friends are quick to take advantage of this, and send their own D-Mails for their own purposes. Moeka wants to revert a bad purchase, Luka wants to become a girl (wait, what), and Faris wants to bring her father back from the dead.

Da2lOR4l.jpg

This happens a lot at this point

All of the D-Mails work, and Okabe is apparently the only one who remembers the world before it was changed by D-Mails. The game really convinces you that Okabe has a supernatural ability, and it's around this point that it kind of jumps the shark towards pure fiction. It had to happen at some point, naturally.

By the way, and this is apropos of nothing, but isn't this pic so unintentionally creepy? It's one of those "when you see it..." moments:
gTnX3Mpl.jpg

I want to think this is actually a subtle foreshadowing of what's coming

Okabe sends one last D-Mail to prevent Suzuha from mysteriously leaving Akihabara. All of these D-Mails would have a disastrous effect, because you see, at some point between D-Mails the IBN 5100 vanished.

5 - Consequences

So the PhoneWave is a beast, and it must be improved. Kurisu, who's actually a neuroscientist despite her dominance of modern physics, suggests implementing her thesis (storing memories as data) as an additional function. Since the PhoneWave can send some bytes of data to the past, Kurisu suggests compressing all of a person's memories (in a way that makes no sense whatsoever, but that I still commend the game for trying to explain it) and sending them to the past, effectively allowing a person to "time leap".

BllilBCl.jpg

This task takes some days to complete, and meanwhile the hacking of SERN had continued.

hI80BTdl.jpg

Of course you didn't

The Time Leap Machine is eventually finished.

Man, I swear. So many hours have passed since the game started, and while the setting is interesting and all, isn't it about time something happened?

tZ7ZKzZl.jpg

2u1JWkAl.jpg

This is a threat. An actual threat, after all this time.

And it's only now, looking back, that I realise that those first hours of the game, where little happened and the game seemed to drag along, were essential to create this false sense of security.

The Organization. It's nothing but yet another one of Hououin Kyouma's childish delusions.
SERN. They're a nuclear research organisation. They have secrets, but they're not actually going to go after people who participate in inane conspiracy theories. And besides, they're in Europe.
We are merely curious, naïve teenagers.
No one knows.
No one cares.
I mean, we think we can change the world, but so does everyone else at some point in their lives.

We are living our lives normally.
Look at how normal and boring our normal lives are.
So much time has passed since we started doing this.
Nothing will happen to us.
No one will come through that door.

n1n4b0tl.jpg

In fact, after the assault begins, it takes a while for everyone in the lab to process what is going on.
The same happens to the player. It just feels surreal, close to impossible. The immediate shattering of Okabe's safety bubble is brutal. Everything feels ethereal, dreamlike. What the hell is happening.

The lab mems are immediately brought back to reality by the appearance of a familiar face. Kiryu Moeka. The young woman who everyone thought was a friend, appears with a gun, demanding that they surrender their time machine.

And to prove her point, she shoots Okabe's childhood friend, Mayuri.

She kills Mayuri. Just like that.

CfruAV9l.jpg

It worked. It was worth it. Steins;Gate took forever to get going, but the payoff is here, and it's going to be a wild ride from now on.

6 - Tears

Okabe still can't believe it, but he retains enough judgement to realise that there is still a way out: the Time Leap Machine. He can send his memories to the past, and prevent this.

But no matter what he does, and how many times he leaps, he can't save Mayuri. She always dies.

e7BP6hDl.jpg

When I started this post I said that Steins;Gate made me shed tears. For the entirety of the game, I didn't cry because I was happy for the characters, or sad about their misfortunes. I didn't even cry because of the fact that Mayuri had died. It was this scene:

31qNyT8l.jpg

Rup8SWMl.jpg

XeBhu2El.jpg

Tears inadvertently ran down my face due to how shocked I was by what was happening. My incredulousness at what was happening, Okabe's hair-rising scream, the complete shift from what was once a slice-of-life story. The sheer malice of Moeka and SERN's actions. It was overwhelming. Before I knew it, my face was silently wet, and my mouth was wide open in shock.

Since this scene is missable, I'll quickly explain how it goes: Okabe is running through Akiba with Mayuri, trying to hide her from SERN. Eventually, he loses her. After desperately looking for her everywhere, he decides to return to the lab. Just then, he receives a mail from Moeka, with a picture attached. The picture is of a 50-year-old newspaper article, about a jellified human that appeared in the wall of a house. At this point, the game takes control away from you, slowly revealing the identity of the Jellyman. The scene ends with Okabe's horrified scream.

If you've reached this part of the post (thank you for reading, by the way!), I'd like to know the effect this scene had on you. I was indeed absolutely shocked.

7 - Fixing things

During one of his time loops to attempt to save Mayuri, Okabe learns who Suzuha actually is:

XXgi3DDl.jpg

Yeah, the hints were there. Apparently, there was some truth to what John Titor posted online. She is in fact trying to change the future into one that isn't ruled by SERN. And the way to do this is to return the IBN 5100 to Okabe. This will allow him to access and decrypt a hidden database within SERN that's written with the IBN 5100's proprietary code. This database stores the data that allowed SERN to track down Okabe. Deleting this data will make it so SERN never knows about him, effectively returning him to the wordline where SERN doesn't get a hold of the Time Leap Machine (that would eventually kickstart SERN's time machine), and where Mayuri isn't murdered. It's a win-win situation.

But it was the D-Mails that everyone sent that took the IBN 5100 from Okabe. Therefore, he must undo the effects of every D-Mail sent.

Including the one that kept Suzuha (who is also revealed to be Daru's daughter) from leaving, since her leaving when she did was a crucial factor in obtaining the IBN 5100, and her mission would fail otherwise.

eOSV6r1l.jpg

All the other D-Mails must follow.

That means Faris's dad must board the plane that had an accident.

yLM9zJHl.jpg

That means that Luka must go back to being a boy (wait, what).

7XKWlPKl.jpg

That means tracking down...

...Kiryu Moeka

Andrefpvs

8 - Hurting people

Okabe must undo the D-Mail that Moeka sent. That means the cancellation message (a D-Mail that contradicts the one originally sent) must be sent from Moeka's phone. That means tracking her down. I was really looking forward to this part, since you know for a good while that it's coming. I enjoyed playing through Faris's and Luka's stories (and man, was it hard to press that "Send" button in both situations), but I really wanted to finally meet Moeka face-to-face.

DHQx9lEl.jpg

Yeah, neither did I. In this worldline, Moeka appears as a heavily depressed, barely functioning, fragile woman. She's like this because she has been discarded by her superior "FB" (from SERN -- and the only person that she could confide on), after completing her mission. Her mission was, of course, to obtain the IBN 5100, thereby eliminating another computer that can access SERN's secret database. And she did this by D-Mailing herself the location of where Okabe initially found his IBN 5100. Yep, "revert a bad purchase" my Upa.

In the current worldline, Moeka still hasn't killed Mayuri. Okabe (and the player) knows that. She's almost incapable of moving, let alone killing anyone. But if she was told to, she would kill Mayuri.

She hasn't killed anyone yet. But she's a murderer. Okabe is frustrated at her, but he only needs her phone. But Moeka isn't willing to part with her phone, no matter what. This only frustrates Okabe further. He wants Moeka's phone to save Mayuri, and he will resort to force if he has to.

3Feh6jel.jpg

I still have mixed feelings about the way Okabe acted here, but I can't deny the way I felt when I first went through this scene. I felt satisfaction every time Okabe hurt Moeka.

YHA2NE7l.jpg

In real life, I am absolutely, 100%, against violence. But, at that point, while engrossed in the narrative, and after the way the game had shocked me several times and after all that Okabe and everyone else had to sacrifice, I wanted the most available culprit to pay. To feel just a portion of the pain she had inflicted on others. And I still hadn't forgotten about Jellyman Mayuri, the scene that shook me the most.

UpcfH4Gl.jpg

And this is a traumatized Okabe, dealing with the source of his trauma.

Eventually, Moeka capitulates, and is left sobbing silently on the floor. This is yet another powerful moment in the game, one that gives the player the opportunity to reflect on Okabe's actions after his rush of adrenaline has subsided.

Okabe has calmed down as well, and tries to win over Moeka, who eventually even starts to cooperate with him. He sends a few cancellation D-Mails, but none of them work. Everyone comes to the conclusion that Moeka would only give up on her pursuit of the IBN 5100 if the D-Mail came from FB, who (even though they've never actually met) is like a mother to Moeka.

After a series of stakeouts, Okabe and Moeka finally track down FB and--WAITAMINUTE! That's not a woman! o_O

4Wx3hjMl.jpg

O-oh. Sorry. But Steins Gatedammit, why is it always the cool characters that are the traitors.

To be honest, I was a bit more annoyed at this reveal than I was surprised. Because I don't believe that every character that is introduced must always be intrinsically linked to the overall drama. Sometimes they can just be there, living their lives, taking care of their daughters, being awesome.

But alas. Tennouji, Suzuha's boss, is FB, which stands for Ferdinand Braun. Curiously, Okabe had been calling him Mr. Braun throughout the entire game, in yet another thing that Hououin Kyouma accidentally got right.

Anyway. FB kills himself for reasons that are explained but I never quite fully understood (why would you actively pursue an IBN 5100 if that means your inevitable death?), and his daughter Nae kills Moeka, completely validating my premonition that she's actually a murderous psycho.

This is a bit too much for Okabe, but he knows that if he sends the cancellation D-Mail from FB's phone, all of this will be undone.

I think at some point during the game, the detachment from causality starts to affect both Okabe and the player. It comes to a point where deaths don't really affect either of them that much. We have the PhoneWave and the Time Leap Machine. We can undo it. I don't know if you can have a time travel story without this natural disregard for discardable consequences, but I can't deny that it took away some of the weight of what would otherwise be very powerful scenes.

Okabe ultimately forgives Moeka, and sends the D-Mail.

He did it. He returned to the worldline where he has the IBN 5100. Now he can save Mayuri.

Hououin Kyouma has won.

Or has he?

I don't know if the game was expecting the players to forget about this, but I never did. In fact, it's a bit silly that this never crossed Okabe's mind until this point. You see, the worldline where SERN doesn't steal Makise Kurisu's time machine is the worldline where...

t37PNQjl.jpg

9 - Illusion of choice

So Kurisu isn't a zombie girl. What happened is that when Okabe sent that crowd-evaporating email in the prologue, it actually worked as a D-Mail that changed the worldline to one where Kurisu wasn't murdered, and was therefore able the create the world's first time machine (which was eventually stolen by SERN to create their dystopia).

Okabe must now choose. Stay in the wordline where SERN will inevitably attack and kill Mayuri, or return to the worldline where Kurisu is already dead.

When I was playing this section for the first time, I was waiting for the part where I'd have to make a choice. Turns out the game has a quite convoluted way of deciding which ending you'll get, and in fact there's nothing you can do at this point. The ending has already been decided for you.

As someone who enjoys figuring these things out on his own, I didn't appreciate that I ultimately had to resort to a guide to get to my desired ending. You have to respond to a series of text messages in a very specific way to get on the right track.

However, no matter what Okabe decides, there's no escaping reality. From a purely utilitarian point of view, Kurisu can't be saved.

This leaves Okabe completely crushed. He just couldn't win in the end.

This isn't helped by the fact that Okarin and Christina realise that they're actually in love with each other (as if 40 hours of sexual tension weren't enough for anyone to reach this conclusion). But seriously, considering all the possible endings, I was happy to see that Okabe and Kurisu was the canon pairing. The way I see it, it just makes sense. Kurisu was the one Okabe confided in in his struggles to save Mayuri. Meanwhile, Kurisu opens up with Okabe about her family problems. They're both driven by the same interests, and come to perfectly understand each other.

F918WvCl.jpg

Nothing like a pre-death make out session

They both agree. It's for the best. Okabe must return to the original worldline.

And so, the deed is done. Goodbye Kurisu. Hello future.

Okabe destroys the PhoneWave and the IBN 5100 (where the hell did he even get one in this worldline?). He rejects his Hououin Kyouma persona, as a final sign of the personal growth he was forced to achieve, as well as all the loss he had to endure.

eoimHYsl.jpg

And so, the credits roll, and a certain feeling of dissatisfaction lingers...

10 - Final thoughts

• I'm glad I played this game. It definitely was not what I thought it would be. It was different. It was thought-provoking. It was complicated, but also simple when it had to. Most of all, it was memorable. I also really enjoyed the focus on modern physics.

• Okabe is genuinely hilarious. Not his chuunibyou persona, which I mostly ignored, but the times this behaviour blows up in his face and he's forced to face his weaknesses. He's also so freaking random at times, it just catches you off guard.

WKzecNNl.jpg

yDX5JTal.jpg

Wtv6jIb.gif

I was laughing out loud at least once every 10 minutes.
And to that effect helped...

• ...Okabe's voice actor. Amazing. Simply amazing. I'm usually one who doesn't care if a game is dubbed or subbed, but I just can't imagine anyone else pulling off Okabe like this actor did. I'm not really knowledgeable about the voice acting industry in Japan, but I won't be surprised if this man is extremely popular. He had me laughing; sharing his triumphs; physically feeling the pain in his screams full of despair. Amazing.

• Kurisu could have done with being less of a tsundere at times, but other than that she's great. Incredibly clever and methodical, and sometimes ruthlessly goal-driven. Her (unfortunately rare) sweet moments are heart-melting.

• Daru is too much of an otaku caricature. Some of the things he says are off-putting to say the least. At least with Kyouma everyone knows it's a character. I didn't exactly dislike him, but I can't say I cared much for him either.

• Mayuri. To me she was the "little sister" character, and I never looked at her as a romantic option. She shares an incredible bond with Okabe, but even in the ending where they end up together, it never felt quite right to me. They love each other very much, but their current relationship is perfectly balanced.

• I really liked Suzuha. She's cool. I'm a bit bummed she couldn't stay with everyone in the end.

• Faris was an interesting character in that she knows exactly how men tick and how to take advantage of that. I wish she dropped her "cat speech" more often, though, as those were her best moments.

• Luka. Man, you just want to hug her and give her a boost of self-confidence. Wait, I mean him. Her? Lukako made me so confused at times. "Someone this cute can't be a boy!"

• Moeka... I still don't know how to feel about her. She's mostly desperate, but that desperation made her capable of incredibly malicious actions. I think one can feel sorry for her, while still not forgetting all the bad things she did.

• Regarding Hououin Kyouma and his Assistant, while I said above that Kurisu could have acted less often like a tsundere, it's interesting to note that most of the times she does this it's in response to Okabe's behaviour. In fact, and to keep it thematically appropriate, Kurisu and Okabe's relationship in the lab resembles Newton's Third Law: when Okabe goes chuunibyou (Action), Kurisu goes tsundere (Reaction). When Okabe acts normally around her, Kurisu follows suit. I thought this was an interesting dynamic.

• Some parts of the game were so intense that they even evoked physical reactions from me. For example, I don't remember a game making me so uncomfortable as this specific scene in Suzuha's ending:

HFlQylil.jpg

Okabe, what are you thinking? She's negative-seven-years-old!
g4t7N1bl.jpg

I was legitimately creeped out. Irregular breathing and all.

• I encountered an interesting bug during Luka's ending (the one where she and Okabe fall in love, and decide to let Mayuri die instead of turning Luka back into a boy). For some reason, I couldn't put the phone away after reading Lukako's message a couple of times. This had the curious side-effect of me having to witness Mayuri die while being constantly confronted with my choice by Lukako's message.

juI2aJPl.jpg

• I didn't appreciate that Kurisu's ending was unlocked in a convoluted way, as I previously mentioned. If you don't respond to a message in a very specific manner near the beginning of the game, you're locked out of the ending. The true ending was even harder to get, because you have to do the same with many more messages.
Wait, true ending?

11 - Open the true ending

Holy shit. Let me just say, I was not ready for the way the game segued into the true ending.

So, the credits are rolling, music is playing, and the game looks like it's going to end in the same way every other ending did. But then, all of a sudden, the music fades out and you hear a phone ringing. Thinking that my mind was playing tricks on me, I actually glanced towards my real phone. But nope. Okabe is getting an actual phone call in the game, during the motherfucking credits. And it's goddamn SUZUHA! -- the time-travelling girl that eventually disappeared permanently into the past. And she says she wants to meet with "Uncle Okarin".

inOFOVYl.jpg

The credits suddenly stop scrolling down, and instead start fast rewinding and holy shit I this what's happeni

BAM! CHAPTER 11, OPEN THE STEINS GATE

Sg4FXbql.jpg

FUCKING. EPIC.

So at this point I'm super psyched that the story is continuing. Okabe and friends go to meet Suzuha, who looks slightly different from the Suzuha they knew.

She comes from the future once again, and she brings bad news. You know this worldline that you worked so hard to get to? Whoops, sorry. It actually leads to World War III and nuclear devastation. Welp, that sucks.

To me, this was actually a bit of a turn off. All that drama, and turns out this worldline is a stinker too? Oh, wait, Suzuha is still speaking.

"We have to reach a wordline named Steins Gate, where the future is undecided. And we'll do this by saving Makise Kurisu."

Oh, why didn't you say that from the start, dear niece?? Let's do it!

Okabe hops in Suzuha's time machine, and they travel back to the prologue of the game. Remember all those inane events that totally didn't matter and you should absolutely have forgotten about them? Lol jk, they're super important.

There's only enough fuel for two round-trips in Suzuha's time machine. That means two chances to prevent Kurisu's murder. I don't know how much the rest of you know about thrillers (I'm an expert), but that means the first one is going to go horribly wrong.

zcB7vRNl.jpg

Yikes. That's nasty.

So it turns out that the person who killed Kurisu in the prologue was accidentally Okabe from the future, in a twist that I actually saw coming the moment Okabe travelled back in time.

They return to Okabe's present, and he's absolutely destroyed. But Hououin Kyouma to the rescue! He receives a D-Mail from his future self, explaining that Okabe doesn't have to save Kurisu. He just has to make past Okabe believe that she's dead, therefore putting in motion all the events that followed after.

That's actually pretty clever. I may have seen the "Okabe = Kurisu's murderer" twist coming, but this is indeed a well-thought out solution. Well done, future Okabe! They should make a game about you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The thing is, everything has to go perfectly this time, because...

Pn2izBFl.jpg

It all goes wrong. Okabe had thought about using a stun gun on Kurisu and using artificial blood to fake a deep wound, but the blood coagulated before he had the time to use it. What should he do now?

In the "Final thoughts" section, I talked about how this game evoked physical reactions from me, and this is yet another one of those moments.

Okabe is desperate to find blood, and he can only think of a single solution: he must use his own. So he slits his own stomach. That's seppu'kool, Okarin!

M3Eaaw7l.jpg

Okay, technically, he allows himself to be stabbed. I just really wanted to make that seppuku joke.

I swear I almost felt ill at this point. The descriptions of Okabe's actions are way too visceral. At some point he decides there isn't enough blood, so he uses his hands to stretch his own wound.

Holy atoms, this game is powerful.

But it works. Past Okabe is fooled. Okabe, still suffering from heavy blood loss, returns with Suzuha to the present, knowing that Steins Gate awaits on the other side.

At this point, I was sure Okabe would die. I don't know why, but the theme of the game (Skyclad Observer) had me believing that Okabe would die while travelling to Steins Gate, and would somehow become the all-seeing observer (with Reading Steiner) of that world. The dreams Okabe had of him being in space also added fuel to this.

Well, that's one theory I got wrong.

Okabe recovers from his wounds in the Steins Gate worldline. Of course, in this worldline, he and Kurisu were never partners. The woman he loves barely knows he exists.

Okabe thinks this is an acceptable compromise in order to ensure her and Mayuri's survival.

He decides to meet all the lab mems he recruited in previous worldlines, and make them honorary lab mems in this new one. This includes forgiving the people that had hurt him so much in a past that never existed.

ufKhspKl.jpg

And so he lives in peace, vowing never to mess with time travel again.

To me, if the game had ended right here it would have been a satisfying ending.

NWZQpTyl.jpg

But Steins Gate decided to go even beyond.

0deSSlEl.jpg

Turns out, Hououin Kyouma's unique Reading Steiner ability isn't really that unique. Everyone can remember things from past worldlines, if given a little push. And Kurisu will eventually remember everything.

When I finished Steins;Gate, I wasn't really sure if I loved it. But I can't deny that it left an impression on me, in more ways than one.
And, at the very least, I can say that I already miss it.

I guess this is...

KBpwak9l.jpg

deoee

I did not read every part of your thread but you nail everything I've read. This game... Or story is do good and beautiful on so many levels.

I seriously miss the characters from when I first finished the game a few months ago. I felt like I was interacting with real friends with persons I care about.
Not to mention the brilliant physical stuff and the mind blowing revelation to me that the whole time travel story really happened in rl (I'm on mobile - but there is a wiki article about it)

I still have to watch the movie

Andrefpvs

I did not read every part of your thread but you nail everything I've read. This game... Or story is do good and beautiful on so many levels.

I seriously miss the characters from when I first finished the game a few months ago. I felt like I was interacting with real friends with persons I care about.
Not to mention the brilliant physical stuff and the mind blowing revelation to me that the whole time travel story really happened in rl (I'm on mobile - but there is a wiki article about it)

I still have to watch the movie

Thanks for reading! I also miss the characters. The lab is actually one of the cosiest places I've ever seen in a game :)

I've just ordered the complete anime series on Blu-ray, and I also want to see the movie after that! I'm also hoping that Steins;Gate 0 gets localised...

About the time travel story, is that the John Titor story, or is it something else?

Holy crap. This is the best LTTP thread I've ever seen.

El Psy Kongroo.

Thank you! El Psy Kongroo!

I think one of those quotes was mine lol.
And SG is my GOTY over all those AAA and noteworthy indies.
I just got that much out of it.
Yeah i bawled like a bitch.

deoee

Yes, I'm talking about Titor. It literally blew my mind when I found out it's all true. Even small details like the IBM look the same :D made the whole thing more awesome for me.

Also their theory of.. How were they called - kerp black holes (?) is based of a existing theory which also is neat.
Or that the labs website really exists

I'm really looking forward for the Spin off which will be set in the timeline where Okabe does not go back to rescue Kurisu.

Another thing: the voice actors really I insanely good. He plays a character in Danganronpa 2 and you just know it's him.

Amazing game, I really liked that it focused on terminology that made it feel like it was actually happening right now, what with CERN and such. Expected to like it, didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

cj_iwakura

The VN's ending is so perfect that the anime could only attempt to match it, and though they make a valiant effort, they never quite get there.

Also, did you see the optional thing with Nae, which
explains how Okabe dies in the future?

tGR8JhV.jpg

Now THAT'S chilling.

Prelude.

The true ending unlock is legit amazing, no one escapes from the hype.

Also, yes, Mamoru Miyano (Okabe) is the man.

Another thing: the voice actors really I insanely good. He plays a character in Danganronpa 2 and you just know it's him.
But... he doesn't? Who are you thinking of? Gundham? That's Tomokazu Sugita.

deoee

The true ending unlock is legit amazing, no one escapes from the hype.

Also, yes, Mamoru Miyano (Okabe) is the man.

But... he doesn't? Who are you thinking of? Gundham? That's Tomokazu Sugita.

Wasn't it the same guy? Yes I was talking about Gundham. I'm sure I looked it up not long ago and thought that's Okabes VA.
Maybe I'm mistaken :eek:

Edit: yeah right you are totally correct. I looked Gundham up and found out he's Kyon while Mamoru was L.

Sorry, my bad ^~^

Zalman

And SG is my GOTY over all those AAA and noteworthy indies.
I just got that much out of it.
I put it on my list in the GOTY voting thread. It's certainly one of the most memorable games I've played this year. The characters felt so real to me in a way I haven't felt since Persona 4. And the soundtrack is wonderful too (I actually imported it right after beating the game).

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Excellent OP. I should look into fetching this for PSTV, huh? I enjoyed the anime more than I thought I would. I'd have shallowly preferred it went in a somewhat different direction in its back half (I'm an unabashed lover of "cliche" epic scale stuff and I don't think that's ever gonna change) but as a more character-centric vehicle with science fiction overtones I thought it was fairly damned good.

Andrefpvs

Yes, I'm talking about Titor. It literally blew my mind when I found out it's all true. Even small details like the IBM look the same :D made the whole thing more awesome for me.

Also their theory of.. How were they called - kerp black holes (?) is based of a existing theory which also is neat.
Or that the labs website really exists

I'm really looking forward for the Spin off which will be set in the timeline where Okabe does not go back to rescue Kurisu.

Amazing game, I really liked that it focused on terminology that made it feel like it was actually happening right now, what with CERN and such. Expected to like it, didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

Yep, so many elements come from real life, it's seriously incredible how they made it all fit.

There's more information about the actual John Titor (including his real posts) here:

http://www.johntitor.strategicbrains.com/TimeMachine.cfm

The VN's ending is so perfect that the anime could only attempt to match it, and though they make a valiant effort, they never quite get there.

Also, did you see the optional thing with Nae, which
explains how Okabe dies in the future?

http://i.imgur.com/tGR8JhV.jpg

Now THAT'S chilling.

Yeah, I did see that! Nae is just terrifying, goddamn!

Excellent OP. I should look into fetching this for PSTV, huh? I enjoyed the anime more than I thought I would. I'd have shallowly preferred it went in a somewhat different direction in its back half (I'm an unabashed lover of "cliche" epic scale stuff and I don't think that's ever gonna change) but as a more character-centric vehicle with science fiction overtones I thought it was fairly damned good.

Thank you!

I don't know about getting the game after watching the anime, but there has to be tons of details the anime couldn't cover, right? I say go for it :)

Catvoca

Banned
Great OP! I only played the game early this year, and watched the anime immediately after but this made me wanna replay it all over again! The anime is fantastic by the way, I think it captures just about everything great about the game. Obviously its a little more condensed and doesn't include all the optional endings, but It's pretty much just as good as the game IMO. The anime also has a movie-length sequel set after the events of the game which is pretty good! I might re-watch the series now....or start a new save file in the game haha. Such a powerful story, I think it transcends being a good videogame story, and is one of the better told stories in any medium.

Nishastra

Banned
:O

I didn't know that! Does that mean the other ";" games take place in the same universe?
Steins;Gate is filled to the goddamn brim with Chaos;Head references, all talking about stuff from it as if they're things that happened. Pretty much every cell phone conversation that isn't directly related to the plot (or Rai-Net) is a Chaos;Head reference.

That moment that got to you specifically OP, i remember feeling sick to my stomach and not breathing for a good minute and staring at that for that minute as well.

Legit shook.

Steins;Gate is filled to the goddamn brim with Chaos;Head references, all talking about stuff from it as if they're things that happened. Pretty much every cell phone conversation that isn't directly related to the plot (or Rai-Net) is a Chaos;Head reference.

This is an exaggeration.

MilkBeard

Might have to play this. Saw the anime and really enjoyed it. I still miss it, and even Chaos;Head doesnt hold a candle to it.

Prelude.

:O

I didn't know that! Does that mean the other ";" games take place in the same universe?
Technically yes, but they're not really related. It's basically just for a few references here and there like Gero Froggy, Phantasm, Blood Tune etc. They're all from C;H. Also, Kurisu and Daru make a cameo appearance on twitter in R;N. Very marginal stuff.

Andrefpvs

Yes, as far as I know. I've never played Chaos;Head though.
Technically yes, but they're not really related. It's basically just for a few references here and there like Gero Froggy, Phantasm, Blood Tune etc. They're all from C;H. Also, Kurisu and Daru make a cameo appeareance on twitter in R;N. Very marginal stuff.

You know what, I did feel like I was missing some of the context in some phone interactions. Also, the trophy list of the game does make references to a "chaotic head".

I'm interested! I'll definitely purchase any of the games they release here :)

Great OP! I only played the game early this year, and watched the anime immediately after but this made me wanna replay it all over again! The anime is fantastic by the way, I think it captures just about everything great about the game. Obviously its a little more condensed and doesn't include all the optional endings, but It's pretty much just as good as the game IMO. The anime also has a movie-length sequel set after the events of the game which is pretty good! I might re-watch the series now....or start a new save file in the game haha. Such a powerful story, I think it transcends being a good videogame story, and is one of the better told stories in any medium.

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to watching the anime and the sequel movie, I need more Steins;Gate, ahah!

Dude, i read it all!! You expressed everything I wanted to say about this game!! Good job!!

El Psy Kongroo.

Thank you for reading it all! You have no idea how happy that makes me. Thanks for your words!

El Psy Congalee Kongroo!

That moment that got to you specifically OP, i remember feeling sick to my stomach and not breathing for a good minute and staring at that for that minute as well.

Legit shook.

I know. That freaking scene... so amazingly well done. I'll never forget it.

Might have to play this. Saw the anime and really enjoyed it. I still miss it, and even Chaos;Head doesnt hold a candle to it.
real nice op, i was saving this game for later but damn i feel i need to play it right now after reading your posts

Thanks! I really hope you enjoy it :)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It was like playing the game all over again! XD God I love this VN and you pretty much hit most of what I thought while I was playing it too. A bit long in the tooth at first but then SHIT GETS REAL!!

Cool! Yeah! Son of a bitch!!

El Psy Kongroo!

Bittercup

That's a fantastic opening post!
And I feel the same. Always heard good things about the game, finally played it when it was released on Vita and it ended up as my game of the year.
I love this game so much. The characters and the story with all its twists are just so good.

is the game still any good if u watched (and loved) the anime?
I watched the anime after playing the game and found it rather weak. It's still a good anime but it has too few episodes to really tell the story and flesh out the characters.
Especially side arcs like Faris and Luka suffer the most from that.
I would definitively play the game.

Sora_N

Holy fuck dude you wrote the whole story in your OPs wit such great detail. That's what this game deserve.

I just finished the plat a few days ago.

I miss that world so much I'm listening to the radio dramas haha.

My GOTY and one of the only games I finished this year.

I also started looking at time travel articles.

EDIT: if you think back about how you actually get the true ending its really I interesting how the conversations that lead up to it are like.

Nightbird

Whoops, there are some endings I didn't saw yet, so I better get off this train!

But just to let you know: I think this game is amazing, and definitely worth it! :)

cireza

Best game of 2015 for me, and best VN I played.

I really hope that the next one is translated to English on Vita.

sasuke_91

Great OP! When I read the thread title I thought the game brought tears to your eyes because of how bad it is or something. I'm glad I was wrong.

I only watched the anime and I LOVE it. 9/10 in my book. I plan on playing the VN someday (if my backlog allows it).

I remember my reaction in the anime when Mayuri died the first time. I couldn't believe it.
The fact that deaths didn't matter at some point is also a thing I noticed when Mr. Braun killed himself. There was a scene where Okabe told Kurisu how deaths didn't matter to him anymore and how he sometimes tried things out just to see how Mayuri would die this time. That scene crushed me.

Now I want to play the VN O_O

Great OP. Fantastic game. Definitely my GOTY.

I was the same, went in with minimal expectations and just enough knowledge to justify my purchase, and I was absolutely floored.

I don't recall ever being as hooked on a narrative as much as this. I had the Vita version and was playing after waking up, whilst eating my breakfast, on the bus to work, the 20 minutes I had before my shift started, on my breaks, during my lunch, on the bus home and during the evening pretty much from when I started to when I got the true ending. I had to apologise to my girlfriend for the duration of my infatuation with this game! Dark days indeed.

The emotions hit me like a brick, I've gotten close to tears with games before, but never full-on tears streaming down my face. No shame in admitting that!

It certainly left a Steins;Gate shaped-hole in my soul for a while afterwards. Now I'm just praying for a localisation of the sequel.

Interestingly enough, the sequel which takes place in the alternate line where she couldnt be saved?

I dont think I want any part of that game.

Kazer

Great OP!

I saw the anime a few years ago and decided to play the VN earlier this year and I'm really glad I did. It felt way more fleshed out and the alternate endings added a lot too.

Definitely give the anime and the movie a watch! I just saw the movie about a week ago and it was pretty good. I feel like it should've been turned into a mini 12 episode series instead as it felt a bit rushed, but it's still worth a watch.

Steins;Gate 0 starts sometime in the Spring I believe. The VN came out a few weeks ago in Japan so I'm hoping it gets localized!

Yomidi

That's probably the best LTTP I've ever seen.
I liked the game, even if I was a bit bored by the first 4 chapters.

OMG Aero

A while ago a friend recommended the Steins;Gate anime to me but I never got around to it so when I heard that the game was being released for the Vita I decided to play through that instead and I'm so glad I did.
The OP pretty much describes how I felt about the game from hating Okabe Kyouma at the beginning of the game to him being my character of the year by the end, how I felt once shit started to hit the fan, and how hyped up the credits fake out on the true ending makes you feel.
In short:
v79AYOW.jpg

For Christmas I bought a different friend a copy of Steins;Gate because of how much I liked it and wanted him to experience it. I know how important the slow build up is once you get the pay off when the lab gets attacked, but when you are playing for the first time the opening of the game can be a bit of a slog so hopefully he'll stick through it to the end.
I've just ordered the complete anime series on Blu-ray, and I also want to see the movie after that! I'm also hoping that Steins;Gate 0 gets localised...
I bought the anime series shortly after finishing the game and although I've not finished it yet (I've only got the last two episodes left to watch) it's a really well done adaptation of the game. You mentioned that you couldn't imagine anyone else voicing Okabe, but I would recommend watching the English dub of the anime because the English voice actor for Okabe is really good. Don't get me wrong the Japanese voice actor for Okabe is amazing and he does a great job of getting across how the character feels even if you don't understand the language but the English voice actor is great too, to the point that I wouldn't mind playing through the game again if there was a full English dub with the anime voice actors.

Amazing OP. It's not in my GOTY list only because I played it a few years back on PC, but damn if it isn't powerful and takes you unaware. The scenes you mentioned that made you react had the same effect on me, the jelly man one is heart-chilling and had me welling and the one with the blood is literally gut-wrenching. Funny thing is I just had the same reaction right now reading about and remembering them.

Both Faris and Luka's choices/endings were very moving to me; the game may end up rather satisfyingly for most involved but damn if they didn't get the short end of the stick. Luka especially as the version of her that's happily a biological girl gets erased from existence, and the scenes right before and after sending the mail are so incredibly and touchingly voice acted. :(

Special mention for Kurisu and Mayushii for turning two character archetipes I absolutely loathe (tsundere and moe) and making them work for me, for once. The first one thanks to her smarts and deadpan wit, and the second one for her incredible voice actress.

Wow, amazing LTTP thread! It feels like I'm replaying the game.
I think the moment I've cried the most was Suzuha departure, so damn sad. Her whole story is sad actually.

And yes, definitely watch the movie (and maybe the OAV before)

Sora_N

GOTY 2015.

I seriously check everyday for news that other games in the "series" are being localized.

There's a novel too right? Ugh I need more SG stuff.

I got the figma of Kurisu years ago. I'm trying to find the Nendoroid for cheap now.

StereoVsn

GOTY 2015.

I seriously check everyday for news that other games in the "series" are being localized.
From what I have seen, the other games I. The series are not nearly as good. Steins;Gate is simply amazing. OP, your write up was probably the best one I have seen for LTTP or RTTP, major props for doing that wand such a superb game as well (my favorite VN hands down).

suikodan

Wow, thanks for the huge wall of text OP. The feels were definitely back for a moment.

Kudos for mentioning Suzuha's ending. It's the one that shocked me the most.

The main theme of the game is definitely in my top 10 now. It's so poignant.

For unknown reasons, I couldn't get the true ending because there is a bug with my copy. I followed multiple guides, wiped my saved games and still, it wouldn't work.

I watched the anime. It was ok but the movie was horrible.

VNs aren't really my style of games but this story caught my interest. Hopefully we'll see more of it translated.

Top Bottom