• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Volotaire

So what do we know about the rumoured PlayStation 4.5? In the wake of last week's post-GDC outing of the hardware by Kotaku, we have independently established that it's real and that Sony's R&D labs have prototype devices, and we also have more than one source referring to it as PlayStation 4K, the name we'll be using for now. And this is where things become slightly strange - because while more GPU power is being offered to developers, realistically it is nowhere near enough to provide native 4K gaming at the same quality level as current 1080p titles. The full extent of the spec is a current focus of enquiry for us, but realistically, it is simply impossible to cram the equivalent of today's top-end PC graphics hardware into a console-sized, mass-market box.

Everything we've heard positions PlayStation 4K as a machine capable of playing current and next-generation ultra HD media, while also offering support for other aspects of the 4K spec, such as high-dynamic range and a wider colour gamut - aspects of the 4K spec that could be introduced to gaming. However, in terms of additional computational power, we've got be realistic about what Sony can deliver with a mid-generation refresh.

We can say that with some degree of certainty because PlayStation 4K will almost certainly use an evolved version of the APU technology used in the current console. Once again we will see semi-custom versions of AMD's CPU and GPU technology integrated into a single, console-friendly processor, and thanks to the firm's openness with its technology roadmaps, we have a good idea of the base building blocks Sony has access to in building its next PlayStation.

We also know about the fabrication technologies available. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One arrived when 28nm microprocessors were firmly established, and right now the industry is moving on to 14nm and 16nm chips using 3D 'FinFET' transistors. Shrinking transistors and innovative new architecture are what make generational leaps in computational power possible.

Eurogamer speculating on possible options:

• Option #1: A new, more powerful PlayStation - A new Polaris APU
  • Option #2: PlayStation 4 evolved - Using same generation, higher spec components (older games may run better)
  • Option #3: PlayStation Plus - A model analogous to a PS4 Slim with 4K support for gaming, but gaming resolution remains at 1080p

More in the article concerning the possible options for PS4K

Source: Eurogamer

Thanks to Nibel!

UPDATE 1: ZhugeEX claims that he has information from sources who have been accurate in the past, but this DOES NOT imply that the information is confirmed or accurate.

Look at number 7

g1ZVvKX.png

ekim

Never doubted the first rumor. Curious about it. Maybe it's just a 4K output for Movies and stuff and not for gaming? (Option 3 in the article)

MadYarpen

so what does it mean for me as a PS4 owner?

I can buy a better console and NOT be able to achieve 4K, or what?

Or will this new console make 1080p games perform better?

E: this is my first console and I hoped next purchase would be PS5 whenever it comes...

LordRaptor

So pretty much confirms its a hardware revision to integrate the PSVR breakout box and adherence to 4K media playback rather than for 4K gaming.

chadskin

EG/DF make a much better job than Kotaku in conveying what's realistically possible and what's not.

Personally, of the three possible options they outline, I suspect it's going to be option #3.

Kudo

So it's just PS4 with 4K output? Given that it has more horsepower it might run games steadier but I'd assume devs are told to use vanilla PS4 devkit for optimizing?
I don't know, doesn't sound as bad as what it did first. I hope it's just called PS4 Slim.

Consumer

Damn, that's slick.
I'll bite when there's a Mirrors Edge VR black Friday bunduru (or something along those lines).

dealer-

so what does it mean for me as a PS4 owner?

I can buy a better console and NOT be able to achieve 4K, or what?

Or will this new console make 1080p games perform better?

E: this is my first console and I hoped next purchase would be PS5 whenever it comes...

4K for media, maybe enhanced games at 1080p, better frame rate etc. It won't have enough juice for 4K gaming.

Sounds like it could possibly not be as massive a factor as initially believed, if all they're doing is adding native 4k playback and UHD support for media.

But then again...not as interesting if that were true, though perhaps not as catastrophic to many of us.

Geoff doesn't like this. Seems like we are going to need to buy a whole new console for a marginal improvement. Unless there is a way to upgrade the current console which I doubt.

Raist

Banned
My guess (if real): smaller APU, HDMI 2.0 and 4K enabled for video content. Won't change a thing for games.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
It could be that the PS 4K would be tailored towards 4K Blu-ray playback, rather than 4K gaming, albeit it could be a bonus feature for games that are developed to its spec while maintaining all games work on the original console.

Rellik

because while more GPU power is being offered to developers, realistically it is nowhere near enough to provide native 4K gaming at the same quality level as current 1080p titles.

So we're getting 4K Pacman and Frogger.

Jeff Rigby post if you're ok

Didn't he guess that Sony would be making a new console to output 4K media? Damn you jeff.

Orpheum

I recently bought a 4k TV and i still need something that plays 4k blu-rays. So yeah, i don't mind an upgraded PS4

Zomba13

So, PS4 with 4K output feature?

Sounds like it. PS4 that can output at 4K and play 4K blu-rays and streams etc but not actually render games at that resolution.

I honestly prefer this to the the half-step, more power for games. Like, maybe games will run a little smoother on it but not enough to make games exclusive to it so enhanced games will be able to reach their 30fps 1080p more consistently compared to the first PS4.

Then again I know next to nothing about tech and we don't really know anything about this PS4K apart from it's likely to be a real thing that will show up at E3. Everything is just rumour and "my source says it's real".

SuperHans

How many more shaders does jaguar need for 4K?

Even 980Ti would struggle at some titles.

Jaguar is the CPU core not the graphics. You need around four times the power to push 4k vs 1080P so it would need 4 times the shaders at the same clock rate or less if they clock them higher. This is massively simplification of course as it doesn't take into account the increased memory usage.

IvanJ

Banned
So, basically, a Slim model.
Just like last gen for both consoles, some improvements, but nothing crucial to impact current owners, as far as games are concerned.

Auctopus

Am I mistaken in thinking that games of the late-7th gen stopped testing with phat PS3s so games like GTAV and TLOU ended up breaking/bricking/overheating those consoles?

Acosta

So, basically, this is the PSX of our time, same console with enhanced multimedia.

I'm ok with that, not a fan of introducing a more powerful version in middle of generation just because. But If they feel they want to push 4K media and try to use Playstation as a trojan house, fine, wouldn't be the first time. They could even push a "VR Starter Complete Pack" using this,

Top Bottom