• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Experience Inc has multiple Xbox One titles in development for the West

jbug617

Banned
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/2...er-multiple-xbox-one-titles-development-west/

Now you’re opening an international branch and self publishing Stranger of Sword City for Xbox One. Why did you want to start an international office? Is Experience planning to self-publish future titles?

Chikami: A different company has been publishing Experience’s games for the West since several years ago, and thankfully, it appears the games have been reviewed quite well there. Because of this, we wanted to reach more Western fans and show them the fun of our games. Even now, we are in the middle of developing multiple titles on the Xbox One for Western release.

So far, the company has only announced Stranger of Sword City as the only Xbox One title that will release in the West. Chikami mentioned in the interview that they’re in the middle of developing multiple Xbox One titles for Western release, so perhaps we’ll hear about some from the new titles and projects that the company is expected to unveil at their 10th anniversary event on May 1st.

Shizuka

Aren't they satisfied with Vita sales in Japan? I mean, SoSC sold seven times more on Vita than on XONE there.

Wereroku

Rinさとり;199101450 said:
CEO is a Xbox fanboy.. I wish they release their games on steam.. Since many of their games already are on pc, that includes Stranger of Sword City.

I thought it was just that they had more close business connections with Microsoft and the developer contracts were a lot better on the 360. I mean that seems to have changed with the PS4 but I think worldwide publishing is still easy with MS since you seem to only have to submit it to one entity for approval and QA.

Aren't they satisfied with Vita sales in Japan? I mean, SoSC sold seven times more on Vita than on XONE there.

The XBO versions are just PC ports I doubt the costs are that high. It's mostly just selling to a bigger audience. The Vita is going to enter end of life at some point they need to have a platform to move to. Maybe they will do PS4 as some point but that would involve a new set of dev kits and probably someone with PS4 experience which would involve more costs then a XBO port.

Faustek

Isn't money involved? Like a paid exclusive window. Anyway, good for them. Hope it doesn't bomb and hope this doesn't stop the Vita releases happening.

robotnik

Chikami: A different company has been publishing Experience’s games for the West since several years ago, and thankfully, it appears the games have been reviewed quite well there.
Dear Chikami-san, this doesn't mean it will be the same for xone titles.

I really want to support this developer, but I won't buy this console just for this.

Tohsaka

Dear Chikami-san, this doesn't mean it will be the same for xone titles.

I really want to support this developer, but I won't buy this console just for this.

Yeah, seriously. I don't care if they just port stuff already on Vita to Xbone, but there's no chance of me buying one just for their games if they're not on Vita as well.

Mozendo

Maybe it'll just get released the the Xbox One first then it'll come out on other consoles like with what happened with Stranger of Sword City?
Anywho can't wait to see what games they're working on but their press event is in May.
It's bad enough SoSC Vita was pushed back ;___;

ohlawd

bless this company

I mean, I haven't played a single game from them that I liked but eh, keep doing your thing Exp

Banned
Cool.

Xbox already has the first party racers, first and third person shooters, and platformer IP's down pact. It would be nice to get some studios that do RPG's, Zelda clones, and tomb raider clones. Fill out that catalogue.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is it a digital title only? I might buy it just to support.

Yeah digital only in the West. Since apparently the reason is due to not having the capacity to do physical asides from the more obvious which is no US office. Since their English corporate site still lists the Japan address.

The Japanese physical version came out yesterday though.

It's insane that they're doing a Vita and Xbone release for this game. I really don't think that many single-console niche-JRPG fans are buying Xbones, and the Vita isn't exactly the best-selling system either. PS4/PC in addition to the Vita release would make much more sense to me.

Edit:
Holy shit, in JPN this game was released on 360, XBone, Windows (no steam release), and Vita. Is Microsoft funding them 100% or something? I have no idea why they wouldn't release on PS3 given the install base in Japan compared to 360/Xbone.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's insane that they're doing a Vita and Xbone release for this game. I really don't think that many single-console niche-JRPG fans are buying Xbones, and the Vita isn't exactly the best-selling system either. PS4/PC in addition to the Vita release would make much more sense to me.

Edit:
Holy shit, in JPN this game was released on 360, XBone, Windows (no steam release), and Vita. Is Microsoft funding them 100% or something? I have no idea why they wouldn't release on PS3 given the install base in Japan compared to 360/Xbone.

Because the PS3 was a shitshow to develop for. Also you would need to hire a bunch of folks with experience developing for the platform. Since they already have experience working with the PC moving onto the Xbox 360 and One isnt exactly difficult. That and for the most part if you look at the general release history of DRPGs most are on handhelds. As outside of Acquire no one else really bothered with the PS3 and everyone else just did stuff for the portable systems.

They had released Students of Round on the PSP anyways and their other titles on the Vita.

That seems like an odd choice before seeing how the first game sales are on the Xbox one.

Generally with development roadmaps are already made ahead of time. Since as a smaller company you need to be constantly working on something otherwise you bleed out cash with folks sitting around idle and trying to suddenly schedule a whole project last minute is a nightmare along with coming up with an actual plan for said title.

gar3

Just to rant here but why is it that whenever a JPN console exclusive title comes to an Xbox system it's always either a stupid move on the part of the developers and/or an obvious payola/moneyhat situation from Microsoft? We saw this lord knows how many times with all the shoot 'em ups last generation on Xbox 360. I personally only bought a small number of those 360 shoot 'em ups cause the genre just isn't my cup of tea but I did buy an Xbox 360 console based on the fact Mistwalker was on board the system with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey so there are fans of Japanese-made stuff buying Microsoft consoles specifically for JPN developed titles. Obviously the PS3 was way more the JPN system of choice same as the PS4 is now but I'm not seeing too many pro-Microsoft and Xbox One posters going into the numerous random JPN PS4-exclusive game announcement topics basically port begging and calling out the devs for being morons.

That said I pre-ordered the physical JPN XB1 version of Stranger of Sword City and will be more than happy to support any additional physical releases of their future titles either on Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo consoles.

Because the PS3 was a shitshow to develop for. Also you would need to hire a bunch of folks with experience developing for the platform. Since they already have experience working with the PC moving onto the Xbox 360 and One isnt exactly difficult. That and for the most part if you look at the general release history of DRPGs most are on handhelds. As outside of Acquire no one else really bothered with the PS3 and everyone else just did stuff for the portable systems.

They had released Students of Round on the PSP anyways and their other titles on the Vita.

I can understand prioritizing the 360/Xbone releases given their familiarity with the architecture, but it seems crazy that they never invested in a port to PS3 afterwards. Even a sloppy port with poor utilization of the Cell wouldn't really have mattered much as long as it was passing numbers accurately, given it's a dungeon crawler and doesn't really need to maintain any performance.

What I find especially strange is the combination of neglecting PS3 and PS4 in favor of the 360 and Xbone. Ignoring everything else, and accepting that they have a preference toward developing on Microsoft consoles, it seems so strange to me that they wouldn't also have a PS4 port after the Xbone port given their architectural similarity. It's even stranger to me considering Xbone's smaller WW install base and especially their minuscule JPN install base.

Just to rant here but why is it that whenever a JPN console exclusive title comes to an Xbox system it's always either a stupid move on the part of the developers and/or an obvious payola/moneyhat situation from Microsoft? We saw this lord knows how many times with all the shoot 'em ups last generation on Xbox 360.

Not port begging, just really don't understand how the financial motivation for neglecting Sony consoles given the unpopularity of Microsoft consoles in Japan. I was aware of the Shmup stuff on 360 and never really understood that either, but shmup developers have done stuff that's really strange to me for years (Under Defeat releasing on DC in 2006! Still astounds me)

"Hey. What could be big in the west in terms of JRPGs? PC? I dont know.
Oh. It must be the Xbox One. So many gamers buy an Xbox One for the japanese games. Sure!!!"

You clearly know how EXP operates huh?

I know they are also developing for PC, so I wonder why they didnt directly say "we have some Steam announcement too for these."

See the SteamDB entry for Swords of a Stranger, where they still deny they are working on it, even though its been worked on almost daily...

I know they are also developing for PC, so I wonder why they didnt directly say "we have some Steam announcement too for these."

See the SteamDB entry for Swords of a Stranger, where they still deny they are working on it, even though its been worked on almost daily...

Well they aren't going to blow the lid on all of their announcements just yet. EXP games are slowly going to make it to Steam, I think they have potential on Steam. But for now, their focus in the west is console gaming related. Also EXP doesn't bring their games directly it's up to third party pubs to pick up the games, I'm not sure who is working on the PC port of Stranger of Sword City. Could be NISA but I have no clue.

Well they aren't going to blow the lid on all of their announcements just yet. EXP games are slowly going to make it to Steam, I think they have potential on Steam. But for now, their focus in the west is console gaming related. Also EXP doesn't bring their games directly it's up to third party pubs to pick up the games, I'm not sure who is working on the PC port of Stranger of Sword City. Could be NISA but I have no clue.

Yeah. According to ESRB its NISA.

Faustek

Everyone talks "potential" and always reference the "similar" games that have made it well.
There's a gulf of difference in the games that have made it well. It isn't enough just to have a solid game. It isn't enough to have a few forum posters talk well about it. Unfortunately a real social presence is needed and a really good community that can blow the trumpets. Nothing they have. The lewds did well....well probably because of the lewd.

And that's not talking how different the games presents themselves either.
Don't get me wrong. I would love for, nearly, all companies to flourish. I just don't see them invading that space. Yet.

Wereroku

Just to rant here but why is it that whenever a JPN console exclusive title comes to an Xbox system it's always either a stupid move on the part of the developers and/or an obvious payola/moneyhat situation from Microsoft? We saw this lord knows how many times with all the shoot 'em ups last generation on Xbox 360. I personally only bought a small number of those 360 shoot 'em ups cause the genre just isn't my cup of tea but I did buy an Xbox 360 console based on the fact Mistwalker was on board the system with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey so there are fans of Japanese-made stuff buying Microsoft consoles specifically for JPN developed titles. Obviously the PS3 was way more the JPN system of choice same as the PS4 is now but I'm not seeing too many pro-Microsoft and Xbox One posters going into the numerous random JPN PS4-exclusive game announcement topics basically port begging and calling out the devs for being morons.

That said I pre-ordered the physical JPN XB1 version of Stranger of Sword City and will be more than happy to support any additional physical releases of their future titles either on Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo consoles.

In this particular case it's probably because the XBO actually had a month where it sold less than 100 units in Japan. It's trending far below even the X360. I doubt that is solid enough sales for even a niche series. I think that is probably why they are aiming for the international XBO userbase. I am sure the international sales will determine their targeted platforms in the future. Also people do go into JPN exclusive threads and say it is stupid to release games only on that platform with most saying it should be on Vita or PC as well.

It went well for Cave and Mistwalker... right?

I guess if you have the capabilities to release it on another platform, why not? There's probably some reason why Japanese devs keep choosing the Xbox even though the console embodies the word 'failure' in that market. I'm way too uninformed to have the slightest of what it is, though.

I think it's just familiarity as well. They know the Xbox Japan team well and they know DirectX well. I mean it's like Sony getting some ex harmonix employees projects because they hired John Drake.

OVDRobo

I guess if you have the capabilities to release it on another platform, why not? There's probably some reason why Japanese devs keep choosing the Xbox even though the console embodies the word 'failure' in that market. I'm way too uninformed to have the slightest of what it is, though.

gar3

Mistwalker was set-up by Microsoft and outsourced most development to other companies. Its financial time on Xbox 360 was absolutely fine.

Cave was told by Sony to piss off.

Wereroku

Mistwalker was set-up by Microsoft and outsourced most development to other companies. Its financial time on Xbox 360 was absolutely fine.

Do you have a source for this? I remember reading that as well but I can't find anything on google.

MCD

MS Japan good with small/indie devs? I believe it's mostly about good relationship. Like Kojima with Sony.

OVDRobo

Yeah. I remember Mistwalker being Microsoft's big push for Japanese games on the Xbox aside from buying exclusivity of Tales of Vesperia. Still stings a bit since Tales of Vesperia PS3 never came out in the west and was a superior version.

Didn't know about the Cave thing, though. A shame since they make such fantastic SHMUPs. I bet Sony would be a lot more receptive to Cave in today's market, but they seem to be doing their own thing and are embracing Steam in more recent times, which seems like the right move for such a niche company without them needing to lower themselves to going back to Sony.

Niche genres as a whole seem to be lacking a stable home in today's market. The Vita is seemingly the best place for them at the minute, but I'd imagine that market is slowly eroding as time passes and no-one else will buy one. Steam is being overrun with low-budget games of varying quality so niche titles are getting increasingly lost in the crowd, regardless of quality, and the consoles never seem to generate much hype around smaller releases any more.

Both the highest and lowest ends of the market seem to be more tenuous than they ever have been for developers.

gar3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Glad to hear it. Nice to see a company trying to make a niche on a system, rather than just complaining how there isn't one.

Haven't got to lay into SoSC much yet, but I'd like to support their endeavors on the console!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Do you have a source for this? I remember reading that as well but I can't find anything on google.

The source was Mihara from Arika, the company that was porting their games to PS2 at the time--he said he wanted to put out a certain Cave game during the PS3 launch window but Sony knocked back his application because they thought releasing such a "low-quality" game at retail would reflect poorly on the PS3. (That game did eventually get a retail release on PS3 many years later and it was the only Cave game to do so.)

I can't remember if he posted it on his blog or if it came up during an interview but it was a Japanese post, for sure.

Wereroku

Like with Soul Hackers on PlayStation in the US it is just one of the many unsubstantiated rumors of its generation but it is no more or less valid than the tired Micro$oft moneyhat statements. Best one can find is a Siliconera interview from back in the day:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/0...-maybe-ps3-probably-not-and-a-social-shooter/

So it's a combination of being familiar with MS and the ps3 being a batshit architecture. Yeah I swear I read something about Sony not working with them well but I can't find the source anywhere. Maybe I just read it on a forum back in the day.

The source was Mihara from Arika, the company that was porting their games to PS2 at the time--he said he wanted to put out a certain Cave game during the PS3 launch window but Sony knocked back his application because they thought releasing such a "low-quality" game at retail would reflect poorly on the PS3. (That game did eventually get a retail release on PS3 many years later and it was the only Cave game to do so.)

I can't remember if he posted it on his blog or if it came up during an interview but it was a Japanese post, for sure.

Woot thanks I knew I had seen it somewhere. Sounds like the same thing they were pulling with Working Designs and Growlanser.

So, basically Crazy Ken pissing off developers?

Man, imagine how much more smoothly the PS3 would have gone if Sony wasn't in a Pick and Choose attitude from their virtual monopoly on gaming 6th gen. I really hope that their trajectory with the PS4 thus far doesn't lead to them returning to the attitude they had at the beginning of 7th gen.

I didn't realize that was applied to consoles too. They had some really weird policies about releasing on PSP back in the day, iirc SCEA wouldn't allow any ports that didn't have substantial changes, so US never got Breath of Fire 3 psp, and I don't think the Power Stone compilation ever made it to the west.

Top Bottom