• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard interested in PvE for Overwatch, but not in first game, maybe in dif genre

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So it sounds like they're planning on having sequels at some point, or at least more games with the IP in different genres.

Blizzard said:
Game Informer: You talked about building out the Overwatch universe. Right now, obviously there’s a lot of character and flavor in the maps and characters, but is there ever a chance that there’s going to be some kind of overworld or PvE content or some other way to engage with the game other than just going into matchmaking and boom, you’re in a match?

Jeff Kaplan: Right now, the focus of Overwatch is entirely on our competitive game. We are very excited that we are going to introduce our play-vs.-A.I. feature, which is getting to be more robust. It’s going to be more like Heroes of the Storm play-vs.-A.I., where players can actually queue up solo but get matchmade with 5 other players and play against bots. I think the idea of exploring PvE in Overwatch as game developers has us all eagerly awaiting the chance to do that, whether that be in some subsequent Overwatch game that we haven’t made yet, or even in a different genre of Overwatch. I think we’re all dying to explore PvE at some point, but not for this game. Not for the initial offering of Overwatch, which is really focused on the team-based hero-action combat. So it’s something we’d like to get to someday in a different game.
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...to-game-director-pt-3-building-overwatch.aspx

Blizzard has previously hinted they're interested in looking into mobile Overwatch titles as well:

VentureBeat said:
GamesBeat: Do you think there are strategy opportunities in the mobile space? It certainly seems to be a meeting of two areas you have some interest. You certainly have a great amount of experience in RTS.

Pearce: It’s definitely something we want to have a conscious evaluation of. If you look at Overwatch and StarCraft, we have multiple franchises that would potentially lend themselves to that concept.
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/13/b...lls-why-25-years-of-making-games-isnt-enough/

Brannon

That'd be nice. So many unique characters that they can make lore to make any game they want with it.

Hell... Blizzard X Platinum = Overwatch Revengeance!

I can dream.

wapplew

Project Titan reboot!
I bet it will be MMO lite like desteny/division. Let the MMO master show you hows it's done!

Memory

I hope the Overwatch brand blows up so we can get a full CG movie and and a game with PVE in the future.

Rymuth

Makes sense, this IP was supposed to be Project Titan, right? There's bound to be a lot more concepts/ideas that they didn't include because it's a hero shooter now.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Game's not even out and the press is talking about possible genre spin offs?
=/

I blame today kids and their short attention spam.

Fordfx2

Overwatch: Ghost coming in 2018.

With "real" hair physX!

tumblr_np0emt5HwB1rk4djgo1_500.jpg

PvE sounds weird to me in the context of an FPS. Why not just call it single player campaign?
I think PvE in the context of Overwatch would be party-based. Sort of like MMO dungeons with bosses and the like, but with a team of 5 players using Overwatch heroes instead of their MMO classes. Essentially Destiny strikes, but with more defined character roles.

That sort of content hasn't really been nailed yet (Destiny raids gets the closest, IMO, but they're larger scale and lack the sort of role definition Overwatch's characters present) and I think Blizzard could be the ones to do it if they gave it a real try.

It would be odd to see Overwatch adapted to another genre within 3 or 4 years of the first game being released, but there's a definite demand for more content within the setting they've created and other games might be a good way to meet that demand.

For now though I'd rather see them just focus on Overwatch itself and supplement it with the other media stuff they've been doing, the animated shorts and comics and etc.

I want to see OW be supported for a long time with lots of new maps and characters, not just abandoned after a year or two as they move on to the next OW-branded product.

Top Bottom