• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VesperArcade: post-patch KoFXIV netcode is "godlike ... way better than GG, SFV"

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
link to the vid where he goes more into detail about his experience with the netcode:
https://youtu.be/4F1eOne_ElE

Very nice to hear given the poor reception of the game's online at launch. It is still delay-based and not rollback-based but it sounds like that's not a problem here at all.

How does it feel to you guys?

DR2K

Banned
Like when it works it works, when it doesn't it's horrible. It's significantly better than any of the KOFs before it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
We already had a thread of 2, but I don't begrudge another one, personally! ;-)

For me, it's the best improvement I've seen from a "Network Patch" since that first one for... Blazblue? It easily proves that whatever SNK had under the hood was very competent, and that the day 1 issues were a very unfortunate bug. No way could they have re-written anything as fast as they did, and have it turn around that fast.

Just for personal taste, Solid Delay > OK Implimentation of Rollback by a mile. I utterly HATE watching moves re-wind from block to hit, hearing the wrong sound effect due to this, and seeing proper reversals turn into blocked moves.

That's the most miserable kind of netplay I've had since the atrocious Hyper Fighting Netcode on early XBLA, which is my personal Turd Standard setter. (And I actually really, really played SamSho II and 98UM on XBLA, and KoF Neowave on Xbox BackCompat, and I still think it was much worse.)

I haven't had a match I'd consider "horrible" since the patch. A stutter here or there occasionally, but I expect that on a system that has Wireless play (that many probably default to) out of the box.

Along with party battle, being able to set up rooms with easy opt-in / out match making, and the Online training mode I don't hear many talking about, I think it's a very, very solid set of online options and netcode together. It actually feels like a feature set, rather than a fancy wrapper for straight P2P gameplay.

Uraizen

Banned
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's godlike, but it's still good. It's godlike compared to their previous efforts, though.

smokeyp

It has been pretty consistently awesome for me since the patch.

It's not going to magically cure shitty connections though (even though it sometimes it seems like it performs a little hoodoo magic for some "1-bar" connections).

MrCarter

It's a shame the netcode might be good but the actual gameplay, presentation and character models are off to me. KOF13 looked and animated far better to me.

What a strange comparison. SF5 and especially GG do not have great netcode. I mean it's 2016, at this point any delay-based netcode is lousy by definition. Anything "godlike" should be compared to games with actual great netcode like Skullgirls or Killer Instinct.

(I know SF5 is rollback, it's just extremely poorly implemented.)

But good to hear they're making improvements, at least. Maybe by the time they release the PC port it will up to snuff for some extremely casual friendly play...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's a shame the netcode might be good but the actual gameplay, presentation and character models are off to me. KOF13 looked and animated far better to me.

Yep, I was coming to snark with "maybe they can the PS2-level textures now." But...

I mean it's great, but they need to get that tech to Street Fighter and other main-stream fighters.

petran79

Banned
Regarding netcode, does the game sync before every single 3x3 battle or just in the start of the whole battle?

Skilletor

Yep, I was coming to snark with "maybe they can the PS2-level textures now." But...

I mean it's great, but they need to get that tech to Street Fighter and other main-stream fighters.

I'll take the roster over the graphics if the gameplay continues to be as good as it is.

Deps

Yeah netcode is pdamn good now. Ranked can still be bad due to the wonky connection filters, but lobbies are great.

Xevren

I do hope they fix the connection status so the filters work. Something else would maybe be host migration for lobbies so everyone doesnt get booted.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Odd, I hadn't realized GG Xrd was considered to have poor netcode. I've played a bit online and it seemed good, for delay based.

KoF after the patch is pretty good though. SF V - when it works right between both players - is still better. But Skullgirls and Killer Instinct are of course the apex predators of online fighting games for the moment.

I'm still not sure what to think about MK after the XL update. I seem to have bad luck getting players who are on terrible connections so have a poor history there.

Sou Da

it seems unanimous that it's really good. you're still having problems after the patch?
On here maybe. It's still as often delayed as it ever was, they just got rid of the additional slowdown.

It's all cosmetic.

For matchmaking at least, Party mode was the only consistently blood experience but all six people were in South Florida.

Renkax

I still have problems with the slowdown in matches .:/ not as heavy as before but it's still there and it sucks. Also preferring 3 bars and up doesn't connect me to any opponents it says there are no matches found

Shadow780

Wouldn't say it's godlike but it's better than before for sure, at least for people in the same city it's been excellent.

Raitaro

Good job, as always, by Vesper. Really love how on top off things he is in terms of providing quick updates.

Hopefully Maximilian will post an update as well, since the biggest negative in his review was in fact the netcode.

As for KOFXIV: I really, really hope more people give this game a chance, especially now that the netcode seems really good. I can't wait to see what this current SNK team can cook up next if we give them a chance to do so.

KingBroly

Banned
It's a delay-based netcode? That's very surprising.

Being better than SF5's netcode isn't, because it's extremely inconsistent.

Neoxon

It's a delay-based netcode? That's very surprising.

Being better than SF5's netcode isn't, because it's extremely inconsistent.
As mentioned earlier, SFV still has the edge when both sides have their shit together from an internet connection standpoint. But KoFXIV's netcode is still solid thanks to the patch. I wish it was rollback-based, but I'll take what I can get.

That said, I do agree with those saying that Skullgirls & Killer Instinct are god-tier when it comes to netcode.

Top Bottom