• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel if the PS Experience starts getting more love than Sony's E3?

Dynomutt

Hey Gaf as the title states how would you feel if Sony started transitioning those impact announcements to PS Experience. It's seems to be going that way.

TLOU 2 was announced at PS Experience and it was huge! E3 seems to be becoming more of a highlight real and has swapped places with the PS Experience becoming the more personal conference. Now I don't know what this means for consumers in general as far as exposure but it seems that way. The panels and interactivity we huge at PS Experience last year and it was arguably on par with an E3 conference with the announcements.

I almost feel like they may have removed content from E3 and said lets stick to fundamentals.

Also remember the PS Experience was not announced until Sept 27th last year. This year it is a whole 6 months with dates as well 12/9 and 12/10! I already have my room reserved just in case. I may be wrong but this PS Experience could be huge.

What do you think Gaf? Good or Bad? Both?

Maybe they announce PSN 2.0, PS4 Pro OS upgrade (Supersampling), backwards compatibility and cross play. Would blow the roof off!

gablekevin

Neo Member
As long as we keep getting awesome games i dont care where they are announced.Already either conference (e3/psx) have more games i want to play than any of the other conferences so its all good for me.

RSchmitz

That would be alright, but I think some games feel more like PSX than others.
Sometimes I think devs like to show stuff directly to fans too.
I guess it depends on the game and the kind of reveal. Also about balancing each conference.

I think PSX is great and I´m really happy it managed to turn into an yealy thing.

finalflame

I've been to the last 2 PSXs and intend to go to all the future ones, as to where I have zero intention of ever going to E3 (except if work sends me). I don't mind at all if they hold on to juicy announcements for PSX.

NewDust

PSX is for enthusiasts. E3 is for press. Sony wants the biggest games to get the biggest press, so in that way it makes sense how their conference went. But I think they let the pendulum swing to far. MS's conference seemed way more well rounded, even if it did lack in major first party games.

I'd rather get excited twice a year, then once and the other time being a reiteration of things already known or far from release.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Last year's PSX was pretty insane so I could see them focusing more and more on the show. I wouldn't mind either.

Crayon

However that want to break it up over however many conferences.... Whatever idk.

This e3 the Ms show may have had an influence on what sony chose to show. In a dick measuring contest, you only pull it out far enough to win.

Animagne

TLOU2 at PSX was a baffling decision, escpecially when they have spent so much time with Uncharted at the start of this E3. If PS4 gen is winding down, it's time to show off games more, rather than making crazy announcements. So it makes sense it has slowed down this year.

Kudo

PSX has been the 2nd highlight of the year for me for since it started, the ones they've had so far have been insane.

Sony:

We won't be have an e3 press conference for 2018 because we have to be responsible to our install base. We must think of the children.

We look forward to seeing you at PSX.

Shin

Banned
Maybe, PSX is a fanfest thing so why not.
E3 crowd is pretty much all press also no? they are boring as hell.

libregkd

Personally, I think PSX would be a better place for Sony to announce some long off projects (Like The Last of Us) and E3 being reserved more for games that are going to be released within a years time or so. (Kinda like this year's E3 where basically everything major coming from Sony had a 2017/Early 2018/2018 date attached to it).

Skeeter49

It'd be the better place. It's the perfect time to tell gamers what they'll be playing in the next year. E3 isn't positioned like that, and the only way it's beneficial is if Sony tells us what we're playing in the fall, and they don't do that.

PSX getting a bigger focus would be the best case scenario, and might be a sign Sony's looking at Nintendo Directs and EA Play and wants in on that success, their own event where they can control the message, and aren't competing with other conferences.

My worry is PSX taking on too much, becoming the place for what you'll be playing in the next year, and focusing on the far away reveals as well, which should be saved for E3, like TLOU2.

I think it's heading that way.

Sony E3 conference for 2 years in a row was basically 1h of trailers. Nothing wrong with that ofc, it's just a different style. PSX has a lot of people related to playstation coming up on stage, like a big party.

RSchmitz

Personally, I think PSX would be a better place for Sony to announce some long off projects (Like The Last of Us) and E3 being reserved more for games that are going to be released within a years time or so. (Kinda like this year's E3 where basically everything major coming from Sony had a 2017/Early 2018/2018 date attached to it).

I don´t think that would do well.
People want to be surprised.

Tarahiro

After Sony's E3 this year I feel like they have to be saving the good stuff for ps experience. It makes sense, since it's their own event and they don't have to share the news with anyone else.

But I personally think they need to share them a bit more between events but it doesn't bother me if they don't.

Sony:

We won't be have an e3 press conference for 2018 because we have to be responsible to our install base. We must think of the children.

We look forward to seeing you at PSX.

Nice contribution to this topic...

OT: Don´t really matter to me but found this E3 a bit slow and could have brought the TLOU 2 announcement since PSX already had so much good shit.

libregkd

I don´t think that would do well.
People want to be surprised.
Which they still would be just not in an E3 setting/time of year. There were ALOT of surprises at last year's PSX like looking back at that conference it's kind of insane with all the stuff they announced there. But having said that it doesn't mean that E3 would have no surprises. If it weren't for some leaks, Sony's E3 this year had some surprise announcements that were still coming out relatively soon in 2018 with Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus remake.

I just think a fanfest type area is a better place for announcing stuff that is years and years away while E3 is better suited for demonstrating games that are coming out soon/next year as you'd have people/the gaming press all there to play/demo games.

Dragun619

With PSX set at the end of the year, It just seems more suited to reveal their future stuff there than E3.

Wouldn't be surprised if they reveal Sucker Punch's new ip, or show Death Stranding, TLOU2, FF7R, or stuff that's still winter 2018/2019.

crash-14

First I'll say I doubt this will happen any soon. This year Sony was kinda meh in the woaahh department, but E3 still has the upper hand here.

To me it's seems like companies besides Bethesda and Microsoft are starting to caring less for E3 as an needed spotlight rather than another marketing point down the road...

Just look how EA has their own event outside E3, Nintendo doesn't think they need to do a big E3 press conference since they have the directs. And even from Square it feels like it's a common games convention this year.

I don't know what E3 has to do in order to not see this increasing. But as I say, looks like most of the companies start to feel they don't need E3 as much as back in the day.

KORNdoggy

it doesn't matter to me.

they have plenty of other events through the year to announce stuff. by the way people act you'd think they wanted E3 to be the one and only place to announce content. but i like that it's spread out a fair bit through the year. things to look forward to all year round, not just in june.

Petrae

I'd be good with that. Would be great for the fans to have Sony bring the big surprises to its own show.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
To me it doesn't really matter. I think this year's E3 was a result of having a slate of games from last year's big reveal that still aren't ready yet, and newer games are much further off. Honestly since most of the games shown at E3 this year don't drop until 2018, I expect PSX to be similar in a lot of ways, new gameplay trailers of GOW and Days Gone, a new gameplay trailer of TLOU2 maybe and perhaps something to show off Red Dead. Other than that, you may get something about Death Stranding and whatever Sucker Punch is working on. Sony has a sort of backlog now.

PSX is already a way better show than E3. E3 is becoming increasingly less relevant and it's reflected pretty well in how lots of publishers treated this year.

Usobuko

Banned
I don't care.

What matters more is all year round announcement of games, which events getting prioritise doesn't matter.

panda-zebra

Banned
Generating hype, headlines and good feels in December when people are spending the most on hardware isn't a bad plan. Most big games have already released by this time so they're not distracting attention. There's also got to be benefits in dropping bombs and interfacing directly with the fans rather than a room full of press types fiddling with their phones.

Dark_castle

Indifferent really. I just want them to show me the things I care about, E3 or PSX doesn't matter. Ideally they balance it out between the two event so Christmas happens twice each year rather than once. I like to think they didn't balance it well this year and they saved all the goodies for PSX leaving E3 a ghost town. Last year was great showing for both conferences.

ffvorax

I like it, because E3 conference time for Eu is 3AM, PSX usually is on the Evening. So LOVE to the PSX, boooh to E3! :D

Top Bottom