• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long Lines And Sell-Outs For Dragon Quest XI In Japan

Kotaku.

Water is wet. Sugar is sweet. And Japan loves Dragon Quest. In the least surprising news of the weekend, the latest DQ release drew long lines. At some locations, the game sold out.

Website Inside Games covered the Tokyo launch, reporting how over 200 people lined up at the Bic Camera in Ikebukuro. Another 200 people lined up at the Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara.

Some registers were marked “For Dragon Quest XI Only” to handle pre-orders.

Shops also did this for Splatoon 2, and it seems like a smart way to prevent those with pre-orders from having to line up for a long time.

Tons of photos at the link.

Can't wait for numbers ! Hope they are really really high, game deserves it and it will show SE Dragon Quest offline games with a strong cast are what they need to so ! :p

Yjynx

Well quite surprise for PS4, since you could easily download the game to play while wait later for the physical for collection.

Trago

giphy.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well quite surprise for PS4, since you could easily download the game to play while wait later for the physical for collection.

Downloading in japan like that is still a vast minority of folks, traditional channels are still the main ways people buy

Samaritan

I'm always baffled when I see so many people lining up for physical versions of a game in Japan. I understand not wanting a digital version, or having an internet plan that makes downloading such large files difficult, but not ordering the game from Amazon or other online retailer and instead waiting in huge lines for hours? I'd love for someone to explain this phenomenon to me.

Kyoufu

I'm always baffled when I see so many people lining up for physical versions of a game in Japan. I understand not wanting a digital version, or having an internet plan that makes downloading such large files difficult, but not ordering the game from Amazon or other online retailer and instead waiting in huge lines for hours? I'd love for someone to explain this phenomenon to me.

You get so many streetpass hits when lining up for games.

KtSlime

Many people see it as a festival. I had a copy ordered on Amazon, and went to my local Geo and waited in line and picked up another copy, just for the fun of it.

deleted

I heard they had to cancel school because so many kids were going to be skipping in order to play it!

You're probably joking, but wasn't this a real thing once, around the PS1 or SNES era DQ? Or was that always a rumor?

Will be interesting to see the split for the game. Especially the hardware bump for PS4 and for 3DS with the 2DS XL just releasing.

Owensboro

You're probably joking, but wasn't this a real thing once, around the PS1 or SNES era DQ? Or was that always a rumor?

I always assumed it was an urban legend kids liked to tell each other during recess. At least, that's how I remember hearing it.

Edit: I probably need to be more absurd to hammer home it's a joke I guess. Rats.

Can't wait to see the sales of PS4 version versus the sales of 3DS version.

I heard they had to cancel school because so many kids were going to be skipping in order to play it!

It's summer vacation in here east Asia, and it won't be over until mid/end of August. (Maybe that's why Japan love DQ so much cause they don't know what the fuck to play during summer.)

If DQ XI was released on the Switch combined with the stock issues of the console at this point...

I believe we would have Southpark - Black Friday scenario on our hands..

Happy games seems to be doing great - as per expectations :p

deleted

I always assumed it was an urban legend kids liked to tell each other during recess. At least, that's how I remember hearing it.

Edit: I probably need to be more absurd to hammer home it's a joke I guess. Rats.

Nope, it's clearly a gag, but it scratched something I heard 10-15 years ago.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Many people see it as a festival. I had a copy ordered on Amazon, and went to my local Geo and waited in line and picked up another copy, just for the fun of it.

Some "festival". Looks like a bunch of bored men waiting in a long line to get their game from a retailer.

I do wonder if Japanese gamers tend to prefer physical copies, and shy away from digital? For DQ I can get going physical, but those long Splatoon lines made no sense to me.

KtSlime

Some "festival". Looks like a bunch of bored men waiting in a long line to get their game from a retailer.

I do wonder if Japanese gamers tend to prefer physical copies, and shy away from digital? For DQ I can get going physical, but those long Splatoon lines made no sense to me.

There is no reason to wonder, it is fact. Japanese gamers prefer owning their games. And why wouldn't they, if they don't want the game anymore they could always sell it.

Festival wasn't my words, it's from an interview asking people why they lined up for DQXI

ethomaz

Banned
They changed to Saturday releases (no school day) decades ago... before SNES releases.

Will be interesting to see the split for the game. Especially the hardware bump for PS4 and for 3DS with the 2DS XL just releasing.

It was a thing at NES releases that forced the publishers to release at non school days... so DQ since SNES only launches on holidays and stores opens just for it.

Top Bottom