• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts dedicated server info | 'Thunderhead' - only XONE not PC / 360

mocoworm

Much more at the link:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-22-watch-this-space-for-cod-ghosts-dedicated-servers-on-playstation-xbox-360-and-wii-u

Infinity Ward has confirmed dedicated servers for the Xbox One and PC versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts, but what about other platforms?

During Microsoft's Gamescom media briefing this week Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin announced the Xbox One version of the upcoming shooter would benefit from dedicated servers powered by the Xbox Live cloud in a similar fashion to Respawn's Titanfall.

In an interview with Eurogamer following the announcement, Rubin confirmed dedicated servers for the PC version also - but wouldn't be drawn on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

"Those [Xbox One and PC] are the only platforms we're talking about at the moment," Rubin said. "So, watch this space!""Microsoft's 300,000 server Xbox Live Cloud is a subset of Microsoft's Azure platform. The part reserved for Xbox Live is called Thunderhead, which can only be used for Xbox One - not PC or even Xbox 360.

While Rubin wasn't able to go into detail on how Ghosts will work on the cloud (in-game you'll connect in the same way you're used to, except you're connecting to dedicated servers), he did provide interesting insight into how the decision to use it came to be.

"Very early in the project we had a bunch of meetings with Xbox, where they'd come in, a few engineers and their representatives, and they'd start telling us about what the Xbox One was going to be," Rubin said, "what the specs were at the time - they change over time - what some of the plans were, some of the features, Kinect, online, all that sort of stuff. They started giving us the brain dump of everything they knew they were aiming for.

"Information comes in batches. They don't necessarily know everything all at once. And one of those meetings was the talk of the Xbox Live Cloud. We perked up at that. They weren't prepared to answer all our questions, but we were grilling them, asking, what does it mean? What does it do? What's the coverage? How many servers? What's the throughput? We just kept going and going and going, and they were like, we have no idea how to answer those questions. It doesn't exist yet. We'll get back to you.

"So we dropped it for a while. Then it came back, and we had details on Xbox Live servers and the cloud. Then we sat with that information and studied it, and tried to figure if this was something that could work for us. We felt, yes, this will help us. We can do dedicated servers off of it and we think it will make for a better experience for people.

"We ended up pulling the trigger probably only a couple of months ago. The cloud service they're offering hadn't completely formed yet. But we pulled the trigger, and now I've announced it so now I have to do it.""

Marvel

could never
"But we pulled the trigger, and now I've announced it so now I have to do it."

89hs.jpg

No pressure.

potam

Banned
I realize that the infrastructure MS has put into place probably isn't as simple as normal dedicated servers, but all this sounds like bullshit.

It'd be like if a car manufacturer said, "Michelin showed us a new tire. We had to sit back and study it, and then reinvent the car."

burney

Neo Member
I would have bought the game if had dedicated servers on PC. But I guess this saves me some money for something else.

Interesting stuff about the isp's, particularly European ones.
Edit: The first line of the story states that PC's will have dedicated servers, just not Thunderhead

SpeedNut

I don't see anywhere where it lists Ghosts dedicated servers specifically on XONE and not elsewhere. The Thunderhead cloud is what the dedicated XONE services tenant is for all kinds of stuff, not just COD.

Jarmel

Banned
Activision might be trying to hammer out some sort of deal with Sony. That said, knowing the limited timeframe, I could see the PS4 version not having dedicated servers this year.

I realize that the infrastructure MS has put into place probably isn't as simple as normal dedicated servers, but all this sounds like bullshit.

It'd be like if a car manufacturer said, "Michelin showed us a new tire. We had to sit back and study it, and then reinvent the car."
They would have to see in what way it would benefit them, the players, how they could implement it best into the game, can they make those changes in time for launch etc etc. So yes, they would have to wait until the trigger was pulled.

On PS4, if MS is making this viable by offering at silly prices then you can be sure they won't want people using it on PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That doesn't state that PC/PS4/PS360 won't have dedicated servers - only that 'Thunderhead' doesn't support PC/PS4. Which makes sense if Thunderhead is literally the Xbox one reserved part of Azure.

It doesn't even say PC/PS4 couldn't use Azure for dedicated MP servers. Pretty misleading title IMO

edit:

In an interview with Eurogamer following the announcement, Rubin confirmed dedicated servers for the PC version also -

This states PC *does* have dedicated servers

wouldn't be drawn on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

"Those [Xbox One and PC] are the only platforms we're talking about at the moment," Rubin said. "So, watch this space!"

and this pretty much suggests PS4 will too, otherwise they'd come right out and say it didn't. That is classic 'bought exclusive timing don't mention the other platform until X date' language

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wait none on PC either? wtf

The OP conveniently left out the parts where it doesn't benefit the Xbone. You should read the article in the OP.

The full article confirms dedicated servers on the PC, and replied with an enthusiastic 'watch this space!' for PS4 and 360 versions, suggesting there will be dedicated servers, just not using Xbone's so called 'thunderhead' infrastructure. There is no outright denial of dedis on PS4 and 360 despite the fact that none of the previous version ever had dedicated servers, which is a little suggestive.

Twinduct

So 'Thunderhead' is just a product name for the sub sect of servers from Azure that's dedicated to Xbone?

I mean technically they can just use the non-dedicated VMs then for the other ones right (Granted I imagine it'll cost more than using the subsidised Thunderhead servers)?

And just like with MW2 (3?) 99% of the people playing aren't going to care or notice.
Oh they'll care.

Lag is big talk among the poorly skilled players who think they're God's gift to the world and should be getting 30 K/Ds every game.

A lot have been calling for dedicated servers suggesting it will be the answer to all lag issues, it'll be fun to see how those players react when they realise they're still shit.

gtj1092

Thread title is a bit misleading. Makes it sound like only Xone will have servers when all the article says is that cod on xone will use thunder head.

mocoworm

I don't see anywhere where it lists Ghosts dedicated servers specifically on XONE and not elsewhere. The Thunderhead cloud is what the dedicated XONE services tenant is for all kinds of stuff, not just COD.

Thread title is a bit misleading. Makes it sound like only Xone will have servers when all the article says is that cod on xone will use thunder head.

That's what my thread title says. Thunderhead - only for XONE , not PC or 360. It's a split title, hence the | in the middle.

burney

Neo Member
That doesn't state that PC/PS4/PS360 won't have dedicated servers - only that 'Thunderhead' doesn't support PC/PS4. Which makes sense if Thunderhead is literally the Xbox one reserved part of Azure.

It doesn't even say PC/PS4 couldn't use Azure for dedicated MP servers. Pretty misleading title IMO

edit:

and this pretty much suggests PS4 will too, otherwise they'd come right out and say it didn't. That is classic 'bought exclusive timing don't mention the other platform until X date' language

Guess it's back on the to buy list if they implement the net code for the dedicated servers properly.

PSGames

edit:

It could also mean they want to avoid negative press for as long as possible until the games have pretty much launched.

Oh man this is way too funny. The writing is on the wall, but nobody wants to accept this. PS4 is not getting dedicated servers. It is funny how people can read when something positive for the xbox one, and something negative for the PS4 happens, but can't read even the finest details when it is as clear as day for the pricing of killer instinct lol. I feel like I'm on system wars at game spot. I thought I left the place clearly not.

Atrophis

Oh man this is way too funny. The writing is on the wall, but nobody wants to accept this. PS4 is not getting dedicated servers. It is funny how people can read when something positive for the xbox one, and something negative for the PS4 happens, but can't read even the finest details when it is as clear as day for the pricing of killer instinct lol. I feel like I'm on system wars at game spot. I thought I left the place clearly not.

Who's paying for the PC dedicated servers? Why would they not also pay for PS4 servers?

So, basically, once again, the cloud is just dedicated servers? I dont hear them using it for advanced AI server side calculations or any of that mumbo jumbo.

"Those [Xbox One and PC] are the only platforms we're talking about at the moment," Rubin said. "So, watch this space!"

That is not what this quote means my friend! Sure, it may not end up with dedicated, but they didn't say one thing that clarifies that dedicated servers ARE NOT coming to PS4. The writing is on the wall? They said they dont want to talk about other platforms right now, but stay tuned.

USC-fan

Banned
Calling it now, xbone , pc and ps4 will use design servers. No way there are making two Versions of the net code. The games not running the new engine will not have servers.

so the vast amount of revenue that was generated by XBL on the 360 isn't even paying off in the form of dedicated servers for that specific platform?

you would think the platform that single-handedly created the CoD craze would finally get some love.

Top Bottom