• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 remake coming out on November 27 in Japan

L~A

Just saw this over at Games Talk: the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake is coming out on November 27 in Japan. First print will include a soundtrack CD (with the Main Theme), standard for Atlus games. It'll cost 5 980 Yens.

shin-sekaiju-2_140826nxjbx.jpg

(Source)

New character: Regina (voiced by Yu Kobayashi), apparently the grandaughter of a minister. She likes to cook, apparently. Cooking will play a major role in the game, with over 70 recipes and cooking for money at the city.

Edit:

新システム
New System

迷宮内にある採集ポイントや討伐したモンスターから食材を集め、70種類以上の樹海料理が作れる。
From inside the labyrinth with harvest points and defeated monsters you can collect ingredients, that can be used to make over 70 different food items.

料理は街で販売しお金を稼ぐこともできる。稼いだお金は都市開発などにも使用可能。
You can sell the food you cooked to earn money. Money can be used to help build up the town.

新キャラ「レジィナ(声:小林ゆう)」
New character: Regina? VA: Kobayashi Yu

大臣の孫娘で職人肌の料理人。
Minister's grand-daughter and a seasoned chef.

L~A

It was always known the game would come out this year, they did say Winter 2014.

I wasn't aware that they were milking this series.

You know the rules. Release another game within 2 years? You're milking the series to death. Don't release anything for 2 years? You've killed a beloved franchise and you should be ashamed of yourself.

FluxWaveZ

It was always known the game would come out this year, they did say Winter 2014.

But they said winter 2010 for Catherine and it came out in 2011. Same might happen to Persona 5. At least, since winter technically extends like that, I was thinking this might be 2015 as well. November is nice.

L~A

But they said winter 2010 for Catherine and it came out in 2011. Same might happen to Persona 5. At least, since winter technically extends like that, I was thinking this might be 2015 as well. November is nice.

True, but when they said Winter 2014 they had already shown quite a few things, including an actual trailer with actual game footage.

Whereas Persona 5... well... And besides, this is a remake, hardly the game that'd need a delay.

No Devil Survivor 2 don't count, it's dead :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

You know the rules. Release another game within 2 years? You're milking the series to death. Don't release anything for 2 years? You've killed a beloved franchise and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Its a yearly franchise at this point. I'm not sure if thats "milking it", but as someone who enjoys the games it is more EO than I need, and the kind of thing that makes me wish there were some other interesting RPGs upcoming on the 3DS

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just saw this over at Games Talk: the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake is coming out on November 27 in Japan. First print will include a soundtrack CD (with the Main Theme), standard for Atlus games. It'll cost 5 980 Yens.

New character: Regina (voiced by Yuu Kobayashi), apparently the grandaughter of a minister. She likes to cook, apparently. Cooking will play a major role in the game, with over 70 recipes and cooking for money at the city.

Edit: can someone translate?

I'm sure there's stuff I missed.

新システム
New System

From inside the labyrinth with harvest points and defeated monsters you can collect ingredients, that can be used to make over 70 different food items.

You can sell the food you cooked to earn money. Money can be used to help build up the town.

大臣の孫娘で職人肌の料理人。

wrowa

Another game within 2 years? This will be the fourth game in a little more than 2 years...

vareon

新システム
New System

大臣の孫娘で職人肌の料理人。

Is that a new feature I never heard of?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh, I thought it was just Winter.

Its a yearly franchise at this point. I'm not sure if thats "milking it", but as someone who enjoys the games it is more EO than I need, and the kind of thing that makes me wish there were some other interesting RPGs upcoming on the 3DS

Yeah, it certainly is a yearly series. And if we count Persona Q there will be two games released this year. I just hope they can keep it fresh enough for their audience in Japan, since it's clearly still consistent enough to keep the series going.

wrowa

4 was July 2012, Untold June 2013 and this November 2014. Don't think they released more?

PersonaQ is as much an Etrian Odyssey game as it is a Persona game.

But even if you don't count that - despite the Q in the title being a clear reference to EO and the gameplay being completely EO - you still have a new release every year. Considering that everyone accuses Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed), Activision (Call of Duty) and Level-5 (Inazuma Eleven) of milking due to their annual releases, why wouldn't the same standard be applied to Atlus?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

wut? just because the formula is the same?
they are managing Etryan mixing new releases with remakes: I think that after 2nd remake, they should release the 5th. if not, I'll agree that they are mis-managing the IP

But even if you don't count that - despite the Q in the title being a clear reference to EO and the gameplay being completely EO - you still have a new release every year. Considering that everyone accuses Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed), Activision (Call of Duty) and Level-5 (Inazuma Eleven) of milking due to their annual releases, why wouldn't the same standard be applied to Atlus?

Because they're remakes. Granted you can argue about making remakes of games that are not that old and stuff, but still it's not like they're just making new copy pasted games, they're taking the old games then adding story mode to it and adding various features.

There's also the duration/length of the series to consider. People crap on AssCreed or CoD because they've been doing it for years, this is only 3 games in a row and they'll be out of remakes to do soon anyway, at which point we'll see what they do.

As somone who haven't played the originals, I'm glad they're doing this. Less glad about the fact the game probably won't release until 2016 in europe though, should have maybe bought a US 3DSXL instead.

I bought EO4 after loving EO Untold, but now I'm just going to wait for remakes to play them in order. EOU sold reasonably well in NA if I'm not mistaken? Or did I make that up?

tuffy

Expanding it with a cooking minigame is the last thing I would've expected for the remake, but it seems like an interesting way to keep players exploring the labyrinth and farming monsters.

Katsuragi

I hope they release a standalone version of the soundtrack later down the road. I don't want to import the Japanese version of the game just for the OST.

spiritfox

I hope they release a standalone version of the soundtrack later on (like they did for the previous games). I don't want to import the Japanese game just to have the soundtrack.

That soundtrack's most likely just a promotional one with a few tracks and maybe some special arranges. Full OSTs have always come after the game's release, and EO hasn't missed a release just yet.

L~A

2015 is a lock for us then

hope it comes after MH4

Not just 2015... probably late February. That's my guess anyway.

新システム
New System

大臣の孫娘で職人肌の料理人。

Thanks a lot, Parakeetman. Added to the OP.

ohlawd

Not just 2015... probably late February. That's my guess anyway.

Thanks a lot, Parakeetman. Added to the OP.

I'm thinking that too with an early 2015 release

scratch that, I hope it comes before MH4. That way, I don't have to juggle between those two. Honestly thinking of dropping my cheap Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, etc preorders cuz MH too strong man

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man I wish they would bring back the MP feature that 3 had. I dont even remember if 4 had it. Since anyways with 3 was pretty amusing you and a friend taking on a boss with the mashup party combination.

Very odd way to play MP but man were there crazy times to be had just from that single fight.

ohlawd

fantastic covers for both.

sometimes I wish Atlus did have dual audio for their games. I forgot to comment about Yu Kobayashi. HNNNG Yu <3

Rutger

Banned
Hopefully it's not going to be too much of a wait to get it in NA.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the classes get rebalanced in this. The Hexer in the original made the game way too easy.

Top Bottom