• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overhyped New AAA IP of 2014: Titanfall, Watch_Dogs, Destiny. Which REALLY delivered?

What was your favorite publisher flagship new IP of 2014?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
These three were pretty much the most overhyped and attention grabbing with each media blitz. Watch Dogs did have some not so hot showings after the initial showstopper reveal.

Exclisivity may have hurt Titanfall but its no secret that Ubisoft and Activision were relatively happy with the openings for Watch Dogs and Destiny, respectively.

I know Destiny is still relatively new but I believe the consensus is forming.

For me, Watch Dogs had potential but open world GTA type games need to do something really special to grab my attention which it didn't. I haven't played Destiny yet(curse the lack of a PC version
not port begging, mods pls
but word on that seems to be solid gameplay and mediocre to bad everything else.

That leaves Titanfall. After seeing it, I instantly fell in love with the dynamic parkour/platforming system. Combine an additional layer of game mechanics with the Titanfall, and it really brought a lot of variety which kept me coming back for more. Surprising for ma game which doesnt even have a real story mode/single player. So for me, its Titanfall.

Metacritic scores(highest scoring version)
Titanfall (XB1,PC) - 86
Watch_Dogs (PS4) - 80
Destiny (PS4) - 75

What does GAF think?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Well, based on the reviews, I'd say Titanfall delivered. 86 is not bad at all. I would want to play all three of these games sooner than later.

Dawg

The only game that actually delivered, was the game that got the least hype before release.

Wolfenstein.

Massa

I really enjoyed Watch Dogs, and now I'm loving Destiny. Unfortunately didn't get to play Titanfall.

Titanfall.

It´s the only one of those 3 that actually does something new and it does it wonderfully. It needs content and proper support by the devs tho, this game can be huge if they want.

BD1

Banned
I liked Titan Fall the best.

Watch Dogs was fun, but didn't really break any new ground.

I find Destiny to be the most boring slog of a game I've played in some time.

meptrep

I don't think any of these are impressive.

Watch Dogs was pretty awful overall and Titanfall was really shallow and got boring super fast. I haven't actually played Destiny myself since it's only on console but it doesn't look or sound any better than the other two.

de1irium

I didn't have a problem with Titanfall ... there were some things about it I didn't like, but it more or less delivered exactly what it intended to.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The only game that actually delivered, was the game that got the least hype before release.

Wolfenstein.

Not a new IP, Dawg.

Indiedevs

Banned
The game Ubisoft brought to E3 2012 was not the Watch Dogs game we got. They lied about the graphics, and should suffer the same fate as Sega and Gearbox for what they did with Aliens Colonial Marines because of that.

Titanfall delivered the most if I had to choose. Destiny and Watch Dogs are too bland for me to choose one of them even with Tianfall's flaws.

DukeBobby

I only played Watch Dogs, and it didn't deliver in the slightest.

Probably the most forgettable game I've played in a long time. It was painfully average in almost every department.

I really enjoyed Titanfall...still play it a reasonable amount. Watch Dogs IMO disappointed. Haven't played Destiny yet, not sure I will with other releases close.

KB24

I've enjoyed Destiny the most out of this bunch. Still, Watch Dogs and Destiny are prime examples of why I rarely let myself get hyped up for an upcoming release.

Denton

Of these three, Watchdogs is by far the best. I am looking forward to the sequel, especially if they fix the mistakes.

I enjoyed Titanfall although I didn't play it for a long time because my buddy who I play with lost interest.

I didn't buy Watch_Dogs in the end because I just got tired and deflated on it by the time it came around to coming out. Wolfenstein came out around the same time and I thought that looked much more interesting (and I did really enjoy Wolfenstein)

Destiny, well I'm not really into the whole online only MMO/MMO-lite whatever you want to call it and I didn't enjoy the beta and I cancelled my preorder after that. The complaints i've seen sort of back-up that I probably wouldn't have liked it a whole lot.

I will get Watch_Dogs at some point to see what its like but I liked Titanfall the most out of the 3 based on the beta making me want to actually buy it.

Dysun

I enjoyed Watch Dogs and Destiny. They were fun for around 20-30 hours each.

Their biggest fault is they were just another pair of games, nothing revolutionary. But that's ok

Eggbok

I don't get why people keep calling Destiny overhyped....The hype did not really exist until the beta that was litterally a few weeks ago??? I remember so many people saying how boring Destiny looks, based off gameplay, etc.

But anyways Destiny is the only I've managed to play consecutively since it released. I only played Titanfall for 3-4 days, and I didn't get far in Watch Dogs either. Of the 3 you mentioned, I've enjoyed Destiny the most.

Banned
Well if you base it on score, then Titanfall.

If you base it on amount of content, then Destiny.

If you base it on my subjective opinion, Destiny.

Titanfall's hype was that it was the next big MP game, and it lacked content. The core gameplay was fine though. What they sold you with the gameplay was great. They never promised much for SP, hyped the core mechanics, which worked, and just failed to keep the momentum.

Titanfall delivered: if you played these games for the first time, it seems Titanfall delivered and was enjoyed immediately... it just had no lasting appeal, from what I gather, but it seemed to be enjoyed

R3TRODYCE

Out of those I'd go Watch_Dogs followed closely by Titanfall.

I enjoyed the SP and MP component of WD and TitanFall was pretty solid for an online shooter.

Salty Hippo

I didn't play Watch Dogs, but Titanfall is everything I expected it to be. Had my 40 hours of fun like I usually do with most competitive online games I care to get into, and called it a day. If the COD demographic bailed early it's not my problem. It was a great experience.

Destiny, on the other hand, felt like a complete waste of potential.

Bgamer90

Banned
Loved Titanfall and I'm liking Destiny. Watch_Dogs was the only game I was really disappointed in.

I would chose Titanfall out of the three in terms of "delivering". Played the game for a ton of hours and it's very fun.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Wolfenstein.

This is an opinion. I'd rate all of the games in the op above this in terms of how much fun and replay value I had with the game.

Asbear

Banned
Destiny is the only one I've played and it's the only one that interests me. Co-op might start to get too stale now that I've seen all of it but PvP remains fun for about 5-10 matches every day. I really like it. It's also the most polished game of the bunch I'd say.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't get why people keep calling Destiny overhyped....The hype did not really exist until the beta that was litterally a few weeks ago??? I remember so many people saying how boring Destiny looks, based off gameplay, etc.

But anyways Destiny is the only I've managed to play consecutively since it released. I only played Titanfall for 3-4 days, and I didn't get far in Watch Dogs either. Of the 3 you mentioned, I've enjoyed Destiny the most.

Exactly, the hype was almost non existent. Then people played the beta and found themselves enjoying it a lot more than they thought they would. That's all that happened.

Waaghals

Both Destiny and Titanfall have very sound gameplay; their problems relate to the content (story, levels, social aspects).

They both have a very good chance of having amazing sequels.

None of them and people will learn nothing the next time a huge marketing campaign is slapped in their face like a floppy publisher wiener:p

antitrop

I enjoyed Titanfall the most out of all three of them.

I got 100 great hours out of it and the gameplay was some of the best of any online FPS I've ever played. It definitely leaves a lot of room for improvement in the sequel.

I wish it was less like Call of Duty and more of its own thing. More like an arena shooter, without ADS or regenerating health and with pickups and shit. Put pickups around the terrain to encourage the wallrunning mechanics, because most players ran around on the ground like idiots.

Kariodude

Banned
GTA V is the last game that was hyped up and actually lived up to the hype. Oddly enough, it might be the next game that lives up to the hype too.

I played a bit of each, haven't bought any but I can say that at least Titanfall was fun from what I played, I'd need to play Destiny more to form an honest opinion but the small time I had with the game was positive, and Watch Dogs was just boring.

Top Bottom