• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate the fact today open-world design is seen by reviewers as a pro...

I just read the IGN review of Driveclub and they said this:

THE VERDICT

Driveclub is the best-looking racing game I’ve ever seen on a console, but down deep it’s a more modest, conventional arcade racer than the sprawling, open-world types we commonly see today.

I mean, WTF?

Why do games get knocked for not being open-world?? I, for example, prefer closed circuit racing above those open-world games. For me Burnout 2 (and 3) are far better games as Burnout Paradise. SSX Tricky for me, was the highlight of the series. And I could go on for hours.

Why are all games have to be open-world this day and age? For me the cons of open-world design are hugh as they are less focused, less memorable, less tight and far more generic.

Are there other games who don't like them?

EDIT: Also with adventures or RPG's: if they are too open, too non-linear they always cause a 'why should I care' reaction in my case when playing. For me it get's too random and generic.

But then again I prefer a certain case of linearity and focus. Different gamers with different tastes, but one should not review a game negatively for being not designed with an open-world is what my message is.

mossypne

One of the points IGN made was that cars where very euro-centric..... Makes a change from all the American stuff that is usually in games/

I never take IGN reviews seriously.

Banned
It all started with GTA. Some people assume open world means more opportunity for interactivity and a different experience for each player but what you usually get is dumb AI, poor graphics and choppy framerates with boring gameplay and collectathon/backtracking missions.

I'd rather have zelda or infamous types of open world with atmosphere, fun missions and exploration and combat then watch dogs or Skyrim (Skyrim did it right though).

Raptomex

I love open world games but not every game needs to be. For me personally, an open world helps me get better immersed in the "world" of the game. Though, that really only applies to select games like GTA. Most other open world games I just beat and I'm done. I think open world also helps with replayability, the unpredictability of the world, the ability to do whatever, wherever, etc. I'm not a big multiplayer guy so any game that allows me to keep coming back is a plus in my book.

I liked Burnout Paradise but I think 3 and Revenge are superior. I also find it less immersive when these open world racing games don't have pedestrians/NPCs walking the streets... in a city. It's ridiculous.

Some games should be linear. For example, Rage. The game was a great shooter, everything else about it was half-assed. The "open world", the story, the car combat, etc. All subpar compared to the shooting.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yep. I've grown to actively dislike open world games. It ruined racing games for me and other genres as well. It steals away good mission by mission or track by track design.

Only exception for me this far is Ground Zeroes which is borderline open world (more like Crysis).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think that except for GTA V, most of the best rated games in the past years were not open-world. A game with disappointing reviews shouldn't result in such generalization.

Renpatsu

I think the main point of contention is that Driveclub is relatively sparse when compared to the typical feature sets that open-world racing games are known for these days at a minimum. Not that open-world design is inherently better.

Carefully crafted adventures > all. Whether that is "open world" or not, I don't really care. Some people call Dark Souls "open world" since it's all one interconnected labyrinth. Is it? I have no clue.

tzare

It happened last gen. Open world is great scripted is bad. Uncharted was one of the victims. It is pathetic but this is how this works, both on forums and journalism.
Next step tetris open world

In a racing game I wouldnt want an open world. Despised the latest Burnout for that...

But in like action-adventure games or the like I really want to have more open enviroments.
Lets take Remember Me for example. A great world, full of details but you can almost only take one certain way, maybe go to some other rooms, but it feels so limited to have a linear path.

I remember in RtCW you had missions where you could either sneak, be Rambo or do both to a certain degree on a more open map.

DryvBy

I love both open-world and linear. It really depends on the game. I don't get this need for everything to be open-world myself. Hot Pursuit is closed circuit if I remember, and it's a lot better than NFS: Rivals.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Carefully crafted adventures > all. Whether that is "open world" or not, I don't really care. Some people call Dark Souls "open world" since it's all one interconnected labyrinth. Is it? I have no clue.
I wouldn't consider it open world as it has real level design. It's the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I don't know, the open-world criticism seems to be pretty irrelevant to the review. I don't understand why they use it as an indicator of quality rather than just a characteristic of the game. To me, it's almost like complaining that Smash Bros isn't open-world; I know, that doesn't make a lick of sense, but it's just not how the game is meant to be designed.

A good game is good regardless of the differences in design choices, imo.

Exactly. The Souls series is the best example of this. I think by definition, Dark Souls is open world. However, Demon's Souls is definitely not. These games, at least to me, are basically on par with each other.

DeviantBoi

I preferred the tracks of the original SSX over the "open-world" mountain of SSX 3.

Same thing with the Burnout tracks on the PS2; I preferred them over the city of Burnout Paradise.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's a mistake to create this thread with just Driveclub as your evidence, but yes, I think there has been a clear shift towards open world not only in the press taste making but also in the buying public. We are at the point now where I sort of fear for solid linear game design...but we are probably a few years away from that being an issue.

It's just so much easier to create a meandering open world and litter the map with meaningless side activities. I booted up Mordor over the weekend and instantly I had deja vu...

Interfectum

Yep. I've grown to actively dislike open world games. It ruined racing games for me and other genres as well. It steals away good mission by mission or track by track design.

Only exception for me this far is Ground Zeroes which is borderline open world (more like Crysis).

Ground Zeroes is more of a living, breathing sandbox than a typical "open world" game. Kind of like a level in Hitman.

jamsy

I concur with OP. Open world is vastly overrated. Oftentimes open-world is a lazy way of foregoing actual level design.

Especially in racing games, where I'm trying to go as fast as I can (without crashing), I don't want to constantly be looking at a tiny map and trying to figure out which road to take. That's not fun to me. Which is why I couldn't ever get into Burnout Paradise.

danmaku

I love open world games, but that's a stupid complaint.

It's a mistake to create this thread with just Driveclub as your evidence, but yes, I think there has been a clear shift towards open world not only in the press taste making but also in the buying public. We are at the point now where I sort of fear for solid linear game design...but we are probably a few years away from that being an issue.

It's just so much easier to create a meandering open world and litter the map with meaningless side activities. I booted up Mordor over the weekend and instantly I had deja vu...

No it's not. It's easy to create a big boring open world map just as it's easy to create a small boring corridor.

SSReborn

A lot of gamers think like this too so it could be reflective. Me? I disagree personally I like open world but I don't want all my games to be like that.

bjork

The answer is to start writing your own reviews. Get hired at a place. Destroy the machine from the inside. The planet's dyin', Cloud!

I like both kinds of experiences, it really just depends on the title.

Peltz

I agree with OP, but some games do "open-world" (I'm beginning to hate that term) correctly. Some Zelda games, Infamous, Xenoblade, Skyrim, Metroid games, etc are fun and memorable.

I am definitely with you OP. Open world is fine for certain types of games and genres and i even like it when executely properly, but I do not like it shoehorned in so many games or seen as a negative when it is not present. I prefer linear games because as you mentioned, it generally has more focus, better design and direction. Yeah, reviewers and the industry seem to be infatuated with open world for some reason and think of it as a necessity which probably resonates to companies and developers who think that is the new "thing" now. Also, they are famous for many filler missions that do not necessarily contribute to the mission or the game. Next they will probably try to shoehorn "open world" into Street Fighter if they think it will sell.

ElyrionX

Linear games are a relic of the past when technology could not create compelling open worlds. Why would I spend 20 hours playing Uncharted when I can get a better experience playing GTA5? If I wanted a linear on-rails story-driven adventure, i'd rather watch a movie.

Open world is an instant purchase for me, I don't enjoy any other kind of games.

I don't want to be funnelled down a corridor, I want to achieve my objective in whatever way I want to.

They have a small point.

Arcade racers have become largely open world affairs. Forza Horizon being a recent example but also Need for Speed has been open world for ages.

Its hard to not compare Driveclub to its competitors. Maybe they should have leaned into the Sim side a bit harder.

Jb

So what you're really saying is you hate when not being open-world is seen as a con by reviewers?

One of the points IGN made was that cars where very euro-centric..... Makes a change from all the American stuff that is usually in games/

I never take IGN reviews seriously.

well not having any japanese, korean, and american vehicles in a racing game is a little strange-

I love open world games, but not every title needs to have it.

sometimes, less is more. having a more focused or contained environment can provide more consistent content or a tighter experience.

it is neither a positive nor a negative.

Personally I think alot of "Open world games" would be better if they had a single player, mission based focus.

Notable examples:-

Saints row 3&4
Watch_dogs
Infamous Second Son & First light.

I played these games exactly like that and ignored the side content for the most part. They felt alot more solid because of it.

To be honest, the last open world game that I enjoyed as an open world was just cause 2.

Most of these games just need to be mission based with optional side missions, selectable from a menu.

SSReborn

Linear games are a relic of the past when technology could not create compelling open worlds. Why would I spend 20 hours playing Uncharted when I can get a better experience playing GTA5? If I wanted a linear on-rails story-driven adventure, i'd rather watch a movie.
Subjective, Period.

Shiggy

Yeah, as soon as it's less of an open-world and the game gets more linear, I'm happy. That's why I'm probably one of the few people who loved The Last Story and Disaster: Day of Crisis and hated Burnout Paradise.

BumRush

I completely agree...i only have time for like one open world game a year with life, wife, kid, etc. Now I haven't played Driveclub yet to see if it does what it attempts to do well, but the fact that it isn't open world should never be a knock.

I generally resent reviews that speak ill of what a game is not, rather than what it is. A warning is fair but not much more than that.

driveclub has that pseudo open world racer feel though doesn't it. it isn't real world tracks, it's sprawling nature and vistas nonsense. it wants to be real world roads and locations. how are the tracks though, are they actually good?

nkarafo

I prefer my racing games to be "closed world". Couldn't care less about a huge world when i can't get out of the car and explore. Seems like a waste of resources when they could make any racing game run at 60fps.

For other genres, i usually prefer open world. Or Interconnected/Metroid/Dark souls style.

Interfectum

Open world is an instant purchase for me, I don't enjoy any other kind of games.

I don't want to be funnelled down a corridor, I want to achieve my objective in whatever way I want to.

Most "open world" games are still funneling you down a corridor, except instead of a corridor they are nodes that you have to travel to.

Sort of off topic, but I do miss arcade racers that didn't have to have real cars, real physics, real locations, real tracks and where just plain fun. Also, they did not need to be open world. Just a well designed track and lots of cars on it racing to the finish line.

oni-link

I like open world games but if you play a lot of them back to back you begin to see behind the curtain, and most open world games are open when out of missions but also dull, then when in missions they're super linear with some games even just telling you exactly what to do

I love GTA5 but some of it feels like a play where i'm an actor just doing as i'm told, pop ups literally appear telling you where to stand and what to do the entire time, and if you mess one up its mission over

It's also harder to shoehorn in some great level design when all your levels are designed to take place in what is often meant to be a believable location

They do world building, exploration and atmosphere really well though

It's not always a plus at all

Yeah, as soon as it's less of an open-world and the game gets more linear, I'm happy. That's why I'm probably one of the few people who loved The Last Story and Disaster: Day of Crisis and hated Burnout Paradise.

I think people are definitely missing the point of the thread. It's not what your preference is, it's that the reviewer is using his preference as an indicator/evidence of quality.

Top Bottom