• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smartphones and the "de-evolution" of a gamer.

nkarafo

Am i just too cynical or is this a thing?

Let me explain.

Android/IOS games are mostly simple/casual friendly games and shovelware. Of course, there are a few good games that work well with the limited touch screen controls and even a few classics. But i want to talk about the former in this topic.

Now, im not interested about non-gamers or casual gamers who don't have consoles and were never interested in videogames. I want to talk about people who used to game a lot on consoles/PCs/handhelds and now they only play silly, mindless games on their phones.

I see this happening with my friends. We used to game a lot together since the 16bit generation. These guys have new home consoles, one had a 3DS, the other has a VITA etc. But for some reason they play more with their phones instead of their consoles. And i'm not talking in buses but in their homes too. And i don't mean good phone games. I'm talking about endless runners, generic racing games at 20fps and first person corridor shooters with excessive auto aim (because these games are impossible to control with a touch interface).

So i'm in my friend's house, he has a WiiU with Mario Kart8, a Mario 3D world that he hasn't finished yet, the new smash Bros and he also has a 3DS with a few games (most unfinished) and all i see him doing is playing random games in his phone. So i ask him this simple question: Would you play those games if they were on the console/handheld/PC? Would you ever play this endless runner, or this unremarkable racing game there?

The answer was no, of course. He has much better games on these devices. And he used to play much better games in the past too. He even acknowledge that. Yet for some reason that nobody can't explain, he likes playing them on the smartphone. It's a shinny new iPhone6, he HAS to do something with it, right? Same thing with my other friend, he has a Galaxy S4 and like to play a 20fps racing game that looks awful, yet he does. It seems like i'm the only one who doesn't play many games on his phone, which is only logical since i have better games to play elsewhere.

I know about the "ease of use". You just carry the thing everywhere you go (its a phone) and you are bored in the bus so your gaming standards don't apply. So you may play that mindless endless runner for a bit, its better than sitting while watching other people's faces awkwardly. But playing time wasters like this when you have better alternatives? I mean these people used to play awesome games on their consoles. How can they find anything worth playing about an endless runner? Or a slow racing game that has weird controls and bad frame rate?

So, do smartphone gamers play these games ONLY so they can justify their expensive new device? Or are they so bored that putting the disc/cart in a console is too much work for them now?

Oppo

stop looking at it as "lesser". yes you are being too cynical. touchscreen gaming is simply young. needs time to develop after the initial gold rush of the App Store. it's not a step back, it's just another platform.

like cameras, often the best game is the one you have with you. I don't judge people who play the NYT crossword in the morning instead of a round of Carcassone. Would you call Chess inferior?

Endless runners are another good example. PacMan was an "endless eater".

Falk

that puzzling face
Bring Vita on commute, play Monster Monpiece.

That'll make the next guy over playing Candy Crush on his iPhone hella jealous.

Maledict

You are missing the vital idea that many people stop playing games as they grow up, take on new responsibilities, grow families, develop a career, find new interests etc. Smart phones and iPad gaming means they get to carry on in someway instead of just stopping which is what happened to a lot of my friends.

If people want to play console based games they will do. Smart phones don't have a malevolent force to make people use them - they provide an easy to access means of gaming for a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't be gaming at all.

OldRoutes

I see it as buying singles versus buying an album.

Both are valid ways to listen to music, and both are bringing new people and satisfying new needs.

Obviously, singles are more attractive, more plentiful and less expensive.

As simple games existed before, simple games will keep on having an audience ; if it's not on phone it was on Facebook and Wii.

dugdug

Banned
So, do smartphone gamers play these games ONLY so they can justify their expensive new device? Or are they so bored that putting the disc/cart in a console is too much work for them now?

Not really. A lot of these games provide a very basic, but, immediate level of fun. That is really all most people need.

V_Arnold

I am not a psychologist, but this might have something to do with being more attached to your phone than your console (always with you, potentially high price paid for it, status symbol, etc), so games on that give more meaning to your already very important posession compared to just playing a game.

Similar behavior is seen with fans of certain consoles refusing to play multiplatform games or playing admittedly worse exclusives on the principle that those are exclusive.

danmaku

You are missing the vital idea that many people stop playing games as they grow up, take on new responsibilities, grow families, develop a career, find new interests etc. Smart phones and iPad gaming means they get to carry on in someway instead of just stopping which is what happened to a lot of my friends.

This. Games are not that important for them anymore, so a cheap little timewaster is enough. They don't want something more complex. They can find enough complexity elsewhere.

nkarafo

Not really. A lot of these games provide a very basic, but, immediate level of fun. That is really all most people need.
So its true that nobody would play these games in their consoles, right?

In other words its only about the accessibility, not the quality of the games, right?

_DiGiTaL_

toad_film_1.png

Devolving initiated !!!

Oppo

In other words its only about the accessibility, not the quality of the games, right?

Peggle and many others of its ilk are popular on console.

nkarafo

I am not a psychologist, but this might have something to do with being more attached to your phone than your console (always with you, potentially high price paid for it, status symbol, etc), so games on that give more meaning to your already very important posession compared to just playing a game.
This is exactly what i think about.

Nobody would play most of these games on other gaming platforms.

OldRoutes

What? A game is good if a lot of people play it ; it's a good design. It might not be what you like, but games like Candy Crush and Angry Bird got popular because they had nailed their presentation, too.

I don't think the market as much de-evolved as much as some types of games simply stopped being viable as dedicated devices or standalone titles and became viable once again with the popularity of mobile devices and tablets.

There are new types of games and new monetization practices that came with the age of mobile devices, and those indeed feel like needless cash-grabs but I disagree that in general games de-evolved. Some types of simpler games made a comeback, other types of games had to be simplified to be playable on mobile devices and new types of games emerged that made good use of touch controls.

The games I play on dedicated portable consoles as advanced as they have ever been and there are some pretty interesting games on mobile devices that do a better job of being enjoyable in short spurts of time than the ones on my 3DS or Vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Easier to open a pack of Pringles than make a sandwich.

The barrier to entry is so low on smartphones because they're always on and by your side, that you may tend to graze on crap rather than walk 5ft to pick up a console controller

I have a feeling that deep mechanics, challenge and depth are qualities that aren't even that high valued among many of us folks, the so called core gamer. So no surprise there.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They couldn't find the time and motivation to invest numerous hours into a console/pc game anymore (I am guilty too. I am addicted to hero emblems on ios now)

Renekton

My nephew couldn't get past Chemical Plant zone in Sonic 2, then told me Minion Rush is a far superior game. The only console game palatable to another nephew is COD series, but even he play mostly on his pad now.

OP I was mulling the same yesterday.

I am addicted to
Candy Crush
and it's embarrassing. My gaming PC isn't seeing much use, nor my XBox - despite having Saints Row 4, Sunset Overdrive and Shadow of Mordor in my backlog and all started but unfinished.

When I'm chilling out it's easy just to grab my phone and play something "mindless" that I can pick up and play for a bit, then put down.

Maybe also factors in that I'm generally tired from work and/or hanging out with my wife, and phone gaming is more sociable / easy access than hogging the TV to play console games or going upstairs to play on the PC.

Yeah, it's hard to resist the pull of crappy, free-to-play, microtransactions-laden mobile games like FTL, The Banner Saga, Eclipse, 80 Days,

wait a minute

nkarafo

What? A game is good if a lot of people play it ; it's a good design. It might not be what you like, but games like Candy Crush and Angry Bird got popular because they had nailed their presentation, too.
Like i said, there are a few addictive, well designed games.

Its the weird endless runner, the crappy corridor shooter and the slow racing game (i don't even know it's name) that gets me. They play these games for hours even though they have better alternatives of the same genre (i mean racing and FPS) on other platforms that haven't even touched that much.

This subject reminds me of a thread from last year:
Mobile games are to handheld games, what blogs are to books.

First regarding the title. Obviously there are exceptions but I'm going with the general perception of the reading mediums I've stated in my title.

Sometimes us GAFers may feel a bit like dinosaurs in our quest to evangelise handheld videogames. I look at my little cousin and how he carries his iPad with him everywhere, I don't feel any substance in most of the shovel-ware-esque stuff he has on there. But sometimes I get a twinge of guilt. Is it possible for me to judge, perhaps this is to his generation what GameBoy and PSP were to my generation?

But then I can't shake the feeling. There is something fundamentally missing from these titles. They're not substantial, they don't have what I would call an emotional swing. When I played Pokemon or Super Mario Land in my youth, there was so much to it, so much...escape, so much depth.

Obviously this is naturally the case. 90% of the games on his iPad are free. They're not going to pack the same punch as something that has to be sold at a price not far from a home console retail game. But that just compounds the tragedy. The barrier of entry to the shovelware trove is little to nothing. Go to the App Store and bang. But with retail 3DS and Vita games the cost is higher and there may still be a misconception that the digital arenas don't exist for these "dinosaur" consoles.

Mobile games are to handheld games, what blogs are to books. Mobile games have no buttons, handhelds do. I would compare to this to how blogs strain the eye a bit more than a book does. Not to mention how mobile games are but a touch away and there's another one, another touch another game, etc. just like how people browse blog posts and such. But a handheld game, you buy one and you invest yourself in the adventure or whatever the genre can be described as. With a book it's much the same, you are delving in, you are experiencing, it is not transitory, it is a meaty experience.

Though we may sometimes feel we are being snobby about our gaming tastes, I think we very well may be justified. We're looking at each game as a substantial creative work. Just like we respect books on our shelf we respect games on our shelf. But blog posts don't have the same weight as the inky time machine of yore, nor do the packet of crisps/chips mobile games to the 3 course meal of handheld bliss.

It is upsetting that the market is fuelling this possible dumbing down of portable gaming. We can only hope that Sony and Nintendo continue to invest in portable games to the same level they do on their proprietary hardware, if they ever have to cede to the mobile monster over the hill.

I completely understand OP. All we can chalk it down to is that these people were never big gaming fans in the first place, it was always just a distraction to them. Just like how for many people the (arguable) dumbing down of Hollywood over the years hasn't affected their movie watching, but for big film fans it hurts.

Although this wasn't the point of your post it certainly slightly annoys me to see my little cousins with their iPads and endless treasure troves of free crap, that their attention spans can hardly choose between anyway. I'd like to think that if I was a kid during this iPad age that I'd choose consoles and handhelds; I'm sure there are kids who can pick up on the quality differences :).

A lot of the 'time waster' games like that are designed to be as addictive as possible, full of constant little rewards that trick your brain into fixating on it so much that you'll not think twice about forking over a small amount of cash every so often to keep playing. It's hardly surprising they're so popular and taking customers away from objectively better experiences.

And that applies to mobile as much as PC, consoles and handhelds. Cynical, borderline slot machine, style software is drowning the entire industry, not just the traditional market.

We really need tighter, more vigorous laws and controls over them, because they're developed specifically to be harmful addictions.

Gaming on my phone is an after thought for me. I used to enjoy it back before IAP came and turned every game on the app store into a clone of a clone that's "free" to play.

Now, you can't avoid the f2p on mobile. It's everywhere. While some games do it right, most get it wrong and just want to cash in via terrible design decisions (see the latest simcity).

I used to enjoy it... But now it's not gaming to me. It's watch your phone, press button to collect, pay for this part/building, repeat.

It sucks, IMO. Its not gaming to me. Its not even fun.

This is me speaking in general. I know there are gems out there on mobile vut i find them few and far between.

Zombine

Banned
Why can't we just play what we enjoy? There is no correct way to enjoy this hobby. Sometimes I feel like playing Crossy Road or PAD, other times I feel like doing a raid in Destiny or playing Freedom Wars. Just enjoy what you enjoy, and don't worry about what others like.

SmokyDave

Time and convenience. Same reason I'll play Vita over consoles. Same reason I'll play consoles over PC.

I'm starting to think that I'll still be playing smartphone games long after I've packed away my last console and handheld.

Why can't we just play what we enjoy? There is no correct definition of someone who enjoys this hobby. Sometimes I feel like playing Crossy Road or PAD, other times I feel like doing a raid in Destiny or playing Freedom Wars. Just enjoy what you enjoy, and don't worry about what others like.
Hmm. You don't sound like a Real True Hardcore Gamer to me.

marrec

Banned
Mobile phone games are evolving and we're getting more and more solid releases every year from these developers. You're being cynical.

Oppo

Cards? Dominos? Dice games? are they inferior to complex board games? or simply scratching a different itch? people play them for hours.

nkarafo

Why can't we just play what we enjoy? There is no correct way to enjoy this hobby. Sometimes I feel like playing Crossy Road or PAD, other times I feel like doing a raid in Destiny or playing Freedom Wars. Just enjoy what you enjoy, and don't worry about what others like.
I don't disagree with this but i don't know. Something tells me that they don't really enjoy these games. I can't explain it, but that's how i feel, i can see it in their eyes or something. I mean, after a long gaming experience with the best games and all, what enjoyment can you have from a corridor/target shooter that looks and plays worse than the most generic/simple FPS you can find on the Wii?

patapuf

A lot of the 'time waster' games like that are designed to be as addictive as possible, full of constant little rewards that trick your brain into fixating on it so much that you'll not think twice about forking over a small amount of cash every so often to keep playing. It's hardly surprising they're so popular and taking customers away from objectively better experiences.

And that applies to mobile as much as PC, consoles and handhelds. Cynical, borderline slot machine, style software is drowning the entire industry, not just the traditional market.

We really need tighter, more vigorous laws and controls over them, because they're developed specifically to be harmful addictions.

I think reducing the sucess of phone games to clever skinner boxes is doing wrong.

Sometimes small arcadey games like endless runners, a level in candy crush or whatever has it's own appeal. As classics like Tetris show, you don't need sophisticated game mechanics to make things fun.

To people that only play casually, a bite sized instant gameplay loop that is instantly understandable, even if it lacks depthm, may be just what they look for.

bomblord1

Banned
I don't disagree with this but i don't know. Something tells me that they don't really enjoy these games. I can't explain it, but that's how i feel. I mean, after a long gaming experience with the best games and all, what enjoyment can you have from a corridor/target shooter that looks and plays worse than the most generic FPS you can find on the Wii?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

You would be amazed what a delayed reward schedule can do. Read up on this and then think about it in terms of how smartphone games "reward" you.

perhaps it's convenient, perhaps it's 'good enough' either way if people enjoy it i'm not one to judge. this is a dedicated gaming forum and your average person isn't going to be as passionate about gaming as those on here.

i mean to an audiophile on a dedicated audio forum, i'd be a lowest common denominator 'casual' because i don't analise sound quality and am happy with 'good enough'. nothing wrong with that just different priorities, so if people feel that same way about games i can't exactly complain.

jay

As I sat here last night playing Crossy Road while watching Jeff Green die at the Shrine of Amana over and over, I had the same thoughts.

Icefire1424

All things being equal, I would much rather park myself in front of the PS4 or PC for gaming, but with a 9 month old at home, I've found time for "true" gaming to be more difficult to come by. However, it's still entirely possible to play a game or two of Androminion on my Droid while kiddo is asleep in my arms. Good way to scratch that itch when I only have a little bit of time.

Mobile games have upped their game, no pun intented, in the last few years.

That said, in my opinion, the mobile market is not suitable for 'big' games that we see on consoles, PC and even handhelds because of its ecosystem. Many games struggle at 3.99 dollars tag, so many of those games end up in another platfotm to be profitable.

nkarafo

perhaps it's convenient, perhaps it's 'good enough' either way if people enjoy it i'm not one to judge. this is a dedicated gaming forum and your average person isn't going to be as passionate about gaming as those on here.
Well, this is the thing, my friends used to be passionate about games.

Maybe they aren't anymore. Even though they claim they are.

Petrae

I've been playing video games for nearly 40 years, and I do find myself playing on my phone fairly often-- despite owning a 3DS and multiple consoles.

It's a matter of convenience during travel (one less device to carry), it's easy to play while winding down before bed, and the convergent device aspect means that I can quickly shift to social media, web surfing, e-mail, and other functionality instead of grasping for another device.

The games for my phone are consistently cheaper than 3DS games. The visuals are pretty good. Games that are developed with touch in mind work well. They're perfect for play on bus rides or short errand trips.

Top Bottom