• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Graders Try Tasting Menu at Daniel (Video) - Spoilers: More adventurous than GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Seriously, these kids scoff at you ketchup-loving, sweet potato fry-hating fiends.

Also, the video is totes adorable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/magazine/fine-dining-for-second-graders.html?_r=0

One Saturday afternoon last month, six second graders from P.S. 295 in Brooklyn got a head start on the fine-dining life when they visited the acclaimed French restaurant Daniel. There, five waiters presented them with a seven-course tasting menu (after the trio of canapés and an amuse-bouche, naturellement). The meal was overseen by the star chef and eponym himself, Daniel Boulud, whose goal was, he says, “for the children to really discover a lot of flavor, a lot of layers, a lot of texture.” These discoveries included Smoked Paprika Cured Hamachi (the “most-foreign thing for them,” Boulud says), Crispy Japanese Snapper (“which they loved to see”) and Wagyu Beef Rib-Eye (“a big success”). To capture the children’s reactions, the magazine asked Jeffrey Blitz, the director of the Oscar-nominated documentary “Spellbound,” to make a video. The initiates seemed to enjoy the experience, but that isn’t to say they loved all those flavors and textures. At one point, after tasting a custom-made nonalcoholic cocktail, 7-year-old Chester Parish said: “This is, like, the only good course. It’s yummy.”

GAF is Chester.
Rohan is so bougie.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Rich babies. Also not sure what else was on the tasting menu but fish, fish and beef isn't that 'adventurous'. I'm sure most would love to enjoy this tasting menu if given the chance.

Talon

Rich babies. Also not sure what else was on the tasting menu but fish, fish and beef isn't that 'adventurous'. I'm sure most would love to enjoy this tasting menu if given the chance.
Rich? These are public school kids. Didn't even watch the video?

Probably 5% of GAF has even tried hamachi, as common as fuck as it is as sashimi and sushi.

Kids really, really did not like the poached squash raviolo.

Talon

Look at those tiny dishes... You've got to have 7 courses because that's the only way you're going to one meal's worth.
You're missing the point of a tasting menu. The idea is to get a wide variety of flavors and textures in a single meal. They have to be smaller portioned, or you'll get extremely full very quickly. Not to mention that the fact that the bites are smaller means that chefs can more easily put out extremely rich dishes that would be impossible to get through in a larger portion - e.g. an extremely fatty piece of tuna.

Last tasting menu we had was 19-courses, and we were even stuffed by course 15 or so and barely got through a delicious dessert.

Desi

Glad I finally took the time to watch this video. I read a lot of nytimes at work but I don't have any speakers there.

The blonde boy was having a blast. Even liked the caviar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom