• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6.9 Earthquake in China. 400+ ppl killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tideas

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_china_earthquake. This is crazy. a 7.2 Earthquake hits baja, and only 2 people die. Once again, you need building standards in EQ area

EIJING – A series of strong earthquakes struck a mountainous Tibetan area of western China on Wednesday, killing at least 400 people and injuring more than 10,000 as houses made of mud and wood collapsed, officials said. Many more people were trapped, and the toll was expected to rise.

The largest quake was recorded by the U.S. Geological Survey as magnitude 6.9. In the aftermath, panicked people, many bleeding from their wounds, flooded the streets of a Qinghai province township where most of the homes had been flattened. Students were reportedly buried inside several damaged schools.

Paramilitary police used shovels to dig through the rubble in the town, footage on state television showed. Officials said excavators were not available. Crews worked to repair the damaged road to the nearest airport and clear the way for equipment and rescue teams. Hospitals were overwhelmed, many lacking even the most basic supplies, and doctors were in short supply.

By nightfall, the airport was operating with emergency power and receiving relief flights carrying medical workers and supplies, state media reported.

Downed phone lines, strong winds and frequent aftershocks hindered rescue efforts, said Wu Yong, commander of the local army garrison, who said the death toll "may rise further as lots of houses collapsed."

With many people forced outside, the provincial government said it was rushing 5,000 tents and 100,000 coats and blankets to the mountainous region, with an altitude of around 13,000 feet (4,000 meters) where night time temperatures plunge below freezing.

Workers were racing to release water from a reservoir in the disaster area where a crack had formed after the quake to prevent a flood, according to the China Earthquake Administration.

The Wednesday quake, which struck at 7:49 a.m. local time (2349 GMT, 7:49 p.m. EDT), was centered on Yushu county, in the southern part of Qinghai, near Tibet, with a population of about 100,000, mostly herders and farmers.

Lightly populated by Chinese standards, the region is remote, making the rescue operation logistically difficult. Relief flights, for example, need to carry in spare jet fuel to augment the limited supplies stored at Yushu's airport, the state-run Xinhua News Agency said.

The USGS recorded six temblors in less than three hours, all but one registering 5.0 or higher. The China Earthquake Networks Center measured the largest quake's magnitude at 7.1. Qinghai averages more than five earthquakes a year of at least magnitude 5.0, Xinhua said. They normally do not cause much damage.

Residents fled as the ground shook, toppling houses made of mud and wood, as well as temples, gas stations, electric poles and the top of a Buddhist pagoda in a park, witnesses and state media said. The quake also triggered landslides, Xinhua said.

"Nearly all the houses made of mud and wood collapsed. There was so much dust in the air, we couldn't see anything," said Ren Yu, general manager of Yushu Hotel in Jiegu, the county's main town. "There was a lot of panic. People were crying on the streets. Some of our staff, who were reunited with their parents, were also in tears."

zaxor0

Tideas said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_china_earthquake. This is crazy. a 7.2 Earthquake hits baja, and only 2 people die. Once again, you need building standards in EQ area

houses made of mud and wood collapsed

Qinghai, near Tibet, with a population of about 100,000, mostly herders and farmers.

Lightly populated by Chinese standards, the region is remote

I mean, yes you're right, but it seems pretty rural from the description. I'm not saying that The government has good reasons for not requiring high standards, but I'm not sure if this place is one where you could expect interest from the government in requiring those sorts of things.

dankir said:
So is like anybody starting to worry about the consistency of this these rather large quakes :S

Yeah, these large quakes have been very frequent. It's like we find out about a new quake every week since Haiti. What the hell's going on?

dankir said:
So is like anybody starting to worry about the consistency of this these rather large quakes :S
No, not at all.
Code:
Magnitude	2000	2001	2002	2003	2004	2005	2006	2007	2008	2009	2010
8.0 to 9.9	1	1	0	1	2 	1 	2 	4 	0 	1 	1
7.0 to 7.9	14	15	13	14	14 	10 	9 	14 	12 	16 	5
6.0 to 6.9	146	121	127	140	141 	140 	142 	178 	168 	142 	58
5.0 to 5.9	1344	1224	1201	1203	1515 	1693 	1712 	2074 	1768 	1725 	704
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

zaxor0 said:
I mean, yes you're right, but it seems pretty rural from the description. I'm not saying that The government has good reasons for not requiring high standards, but I'm not sure if this place is one where you could expect interest from the government in requiring those sorts of things.

Even with mud and straw, some baseline standards born from sound engineering principles would be beneficial.

Consider Cal-Earth's Superadobes: http://calearth.org/building-designs/what-is-superadobe.html

Some more info at the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Adobe

Super Adobe has also been proven to be competitively strong by modern western construction standards. Strength and resiliency tests done at Cal-Earth under the supervision of the ICBO (International Conference of Building Officials) showed that under static load testing conditions simulating seismic, wind, and snow loads, the Super Adobe system exceeded by 200 percent the 1991 Uniform Building Code Requirements. Due to this, California granted its first permit for the Earth Bag Construction for the Hesperia Museum and Nature Center.

numble

CharlieDigital said:
Even with mud and straw, some baseline standards born from sound engineering principles would be beneficial.

Consider Cal-Earth's Superadobes: http://calearth.org/building-designs/what-is-superadobe.html

Some more info at the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Adobe
Super Adobe is great, but you can't do it with mud and straw, you need barbed wire, and the Wikipedia page still estimates a home to cost $75,000, which, while still very affordable, may not be in reach to all.

numble said:
Super Adobe is great, but you can't do it with mud and straw, you need barbed wire, and the Wikipedia page still estimates a home to cost $75,000, which, while still very affordable, may not be in reach to all.

75,000 if you were to pay for the labor. You conveniently dismiss the caveat in the wiki page regarding this number (no need to repeat it here - please go re-read it). In addition, by any measure, 75,000 to build a house in the US is ridiculously cheap given the cost of labor in the US. Now translate that to comparative labor costs in a poor, rural farm region in China. So yeah, I think you're misrepresenting the cost.

Of course, you've missed the larger point that I was trying to make: that you can build strong, structurally sound buildings that abide by modern building codes using little more than earth, some barbed wire, bags, and some waterproofing material.

CrankyJay

Banned
dankir said:

Can't really worry about something I can't control. It was a good run while it lasted.

numble

CharlieDigital said:
75,000 if you were to pay for the labor. You conveniently dismiss the caveat in the wiki page regarding this number (no need to repeat it here - please go re-read it). In addition, by any measure, 75,000 to build a house in the US is ridiculously cheap given the cost of labor in the US. Now translate that to comparative labor costs in a poor, rural farm region in China. So yeah, I think you're misrepresenting the cost.

Of course, you've missed the larger point that I was trying to make: that you can build strong, structurally sound buildings that abide by modern building codes using little more than earth, some barbed wire, bags, and some waterproofing material.
75k is not ridiculous cheap by US labor standards. Most homes can cost 100-150k in labor. The high cost of homes are related to land and materials. For example, the median home price in the Mid West is less than 130k.

numble said:
75k is not ridiculous cheap by US labor standards. Most homes can cost 100-150k in labor. The high cost of homes are related to land and materials. For example, the median home price in the Mid West is less than 130k.

You've restated my point.

And again, you're ignoring the caveat given to that number in the wiki page and also ignoring the dramatic difference in labor costs in rural China and in California, USA.

numble

CharlieDigital said:
You've restated my point.

And again, you're ignoring the caveat given to that number in the wiki page and also ignoring the dramatic difference in labor costs in rural China and in California, USA.
The point is that it is really high, because of the manual filling required, for a simple building--you need to compare the labor cost of two simple buildings. If it is a 25% savings from a complex building in the US, it is adding an enormous cost when compared to building a simple mud and wood building, even when you compare labor costs in rural China and the US. Surely you wouldn't say it costs $75k or more to build a mud and wood/straw hut in the US, would you? Basically, to build the Super Adobe hut, an additional 25% in labor could get you a US standard house, even with the lowered costs of labor and materials in China.

To put it another way. Even if it ends up costing $750 (it probably actually scales to at least $1000, and that's being generous--cheap as China is, things are not 75x cheaper in China) to build in China with lowered labor costs, the farmer is making the choice between a $75 mud/wood/hut and the $750 Super Adobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom