• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision becoming a 3rd party sparked the Video Game Crash of 1983

MarkMe2525

I was thinking of this assertion some more and decided that picking the moment when Activision came to be, as the spark of the crash, is arbitrary and a red herring. I could just as well make the claim that Atari's policy of not crediting and paying developers (their worth) was the spark of the video game crash, as this policy was the motivating factor for the devs forming Activision.

I could then arbitrarily push the "spark" back further and blame the existence of Atari's VCS as the spark that eventually led to video game crash. Without Atari's presence in the market, the video game console industry could have grown in a more steady and sustainable manner. Atari's success was the motivating factor in other publishers decision to flood the market with games to get their piece of the pie.

My point is that attempting to pin down a singular event, as the genesis of the crash, is reductive and ignores the many dynamically forces that played a part in the crash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom