• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ADATA XPG Nia (gaming handheld PC) introduced at Computex

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

• tiltable screen
  • 7 inch 120Hz screen
  • front facing camera for streaming
  • 4 back buttons
  • USB-C port (support display output & PD charging)
  • kickstand
  • AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme
  • 16GB RAM (upgradable)
  • storage is upgradeable
So far there are 5 handhelds PC being shown at Computex
MSI Claw 8 AI Plus
Zotac Zone
Advan X-Play
ADATA XPG Nia
ROG Ally X

Sleepwalker

While I'm not interested in this it has a couple cool things going for it

- upgradeable ram
- lifting screen

And in one of those videos the dude said they are going to price these close to $500 which imo is good as we should be striving to make these cheaper.

Topher

Gold Member
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That layout looks so much like the Rog Ally it's not funny

Upgradeable ram is cool, but I think shipping with 32gigs by default would quell all ram issues. not like you're going to be using this for long enough where RAM will NEED an upgrade, PC hardware goes by fast

Otherwise meh. I know this is what I asked and hoped for with the release of the Steam Deck and Rog Ally but I was hoping more companies would take the approach of making something with a new and interesting form factor/innovative design rather than.... This. Even the Lenovo Legion Go had more originality in its ideas IMO

twilo99

We are really not quite there yet in terms of available SoCs for all these handhelds, including the steam deck, they all feel a bit .. "beta" to me, but hopefully we can get some ARM chips in the next few years that can provide the needed boost in terms of thermal efficiency.

Currently Apple are the only ones who have the hardware to make a viable handheld.

CamHostage

let's go back to the golden age of portable
1920px-Sega-Game-Gear-wTv-Tuner.jpg

In no world was the Game Gear a mark of the Golden Era of Portables.

I assume you're joking, but taking it serious, but there was not much great about this era of portables aside from that they pushed each other to innovate a little bit with competition. I loved my Atari Lynx (and like 4-6 games on it,) but neither Lynx or GG were must-own platforms for hardcore gamers, and their battery life and weight made them tough to actually take with you. Game Boy thrived because Nintendo had the touch, but even that wouldn't be considered by most to be the golden era of Nintendo portable games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
We are really not quite there yet in terms of available SoCs for all these handhelds, including the steam deck, they all feel a bit .. "beta" to me, but hopefully we can get some ARM chips in the next few years that can provide the needed boost in terms of thermal efficiency.

Currently Apple are the only ones who have the hardware to make a viable handheld.
ARM would harm the already pretty shaky compatibility of many of these devices- I'd doubt they'd work well with reducing thermal overhead too because ARM devices get hot running exponentially less complex games than what your average handheld PC is running

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Currently Apple are the only ones who have the hardware to make a viable hhandheld.
Do they? The M2 chips are using a lot more power than the steamdeck. How much they can scale down and maintain performance, I'm not sure - but it's not a given.

twilo99

Have you not been paying attention to any tech news in the past few months?

There’s a Snapdragon competitor for the M series that’s launching In 2 weeks. Nvidia has a DLSS capable chip powering the Switch 2.

I've started a few threads on the matter, so I am very much aware, but looky here:

I don't like what I'm seeing but willing to wait for some proper testing of course.

Also, not a single machine equipped with the new SoCs ships with passive cooling.. another red flag for me. Even the Surface Pro, which is supposed to be a tablet, has a fan in it.

Last edited:

twilo99

ARM would harm the already pretty shaky compatibility of many of these devices- I'd doubt they'd work well with reducing thermal overhead too because ARM devices get hot running exponentially less complex games than what your average handheld PC is running

True, but I think Microsoft can do a lot on that front to reduce said overhead with a more efficient sandbox/translation layer.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
True, but I think Microsoft can do a lot on that front to reduce said overhead with a more efficient sandbox/translation layer.
I don't mean sandbox or translation. Native phone games make a lot of phones hot. But I suppose that if they crunched hard and improved some of the overhead they could get it to a better state.

twilo99

I don't mean sandbox or translation. Native phone games make a lot of phones hot. But I suppose that if they crunched hard and improved some of the overhead they could get it to a better state.

Yes, and all the heat ruins batteries, so I guess a proper gaming handheld will need to have active cooling for now, at least until, like you say, they improve things on the software side.

StereoVsn

There are some interesting devises coming out for handheld side and at much more reasonable prices. It’s going to be interesting what releases with new AMD and Intel chipsets later in the year.

MSI Claw one could be quite good if Intel delivers (big if).

Ozriel

M$FT
I've started a few threads on the matter, so I am very much aware, but looky here:

I don't like what I'm seeing but willing to wait for some proper testing of course.

Also, not a single machine equipped with the new SoCs ships with passive cooling.. another red flag for me. Even the Surface Pro, which is supposed to be a tablet, has a fan in it.

Sure beats it in multi-threaded performance, and all the handheld PCs have fans so the ‘fanless’ talk is irrelevant.

It should have performance in the same ballpark as the M series chipsets while being more power efficient than the AMD SoCs that have been a fixture in the PC handhelds.

tkscz

When not considering Nintendo/Nvidia or Qualcomm, then yeah. It may not run the best and causes over heating but the fact that RE4:R can run on an iPhone is pretty impressive and clearly apple testing the waters. Though I don't see them truly entering the market as they've created an ecosystem where games are seen to be cheap/free by like 80% of the Apple install base. Average person doesn't see more than $5 being worth a mobile game.

The biggest issue with these handheld PCs is that they are handheld PCs where the hardware needs so much power just to run games well enough for them to seem worth it. When did we start accepting 45 minutes of battery worth the hundreds of dollars they charge for these things? Not to mention Windows running in the background also uses up resources.

Bry0

Sure beats it in multi-threaded performance, and all the handheld PCs have fans so the ‘fanless’ talk is irrelevant.

It should have performance in the same ballpark as the M series chipsets while being more power efficient than the AMD SoCs that have been a fixture in the PC handhelds.
For a handheld you don’t need that many cpu cores for multithreading. The power budget needs to go to a big igpu first and foremost. I don’t see the current Qualcomm chip being that great for a handheld compared to xe2 lunarlake or basically anything amd can put out.

In no world was the Game Gear a mark of the Golden Era of Portables.

I assume you're joking, but taking it serious, but there was not much great about this era of portables aside from that they pushed each other to innovate a little bit with competition. I loved my Atari Lynx (and like 4-6 games on it,) but neither Lynx or GG were must-own platforms for hardcore gamers, and their battery life and weight made them tough to actually take with you. Game Boy thrived because Nintendo had the touch, but even that wouldn't be considered by most to be the golden era of Nintendo portable games.
Almost every word of this post is wrong, wow. It 100% was the golden era.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Thats a weird take in the tweet for that data. He jumps from M2 for the claim of performance to comparing it to the M3. Then decides that thermals equal power - while there might be a correlation it's not 1 to 1. And then doesn't mention multi-core at all. Overall this looks pretty promising for a first try if it holds.

IAmRei

Isn't LR too big? I am asian, seeing Westerner finger is not covering LR makes me wonder if the size is that big...

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
If these companies can make money on these things. Microsoft can 100% make money on selling a few million Xbox's / Handhelds.

They all just need to make sure these things are windows compatible.
The issue is the same as with going third party - Microsoft is not interested in scraps, the business idea needs to be scaleable. This is not.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Can we stop with the passive cooling nonsense? It’s a terrible idea for anything more intensive than light browsing and consuming media. When the components heat up due to performance you want the fan to evacuate the heat away, this is how it works. If not you shorten the lifetime of the components.

El Muerto

Sexy replacement shell. Was it difficult?
Yes and no. It was just time consuming taking everything out and putting it all back in, that part was ezpz. But i broke my screen by using a metal spudger and slicing the side of the screen open. I'd recommend using thin plastic along the edges when removing the screen and dont go in very far. Had to buy a replacement screen and ifixit was out so got one from china on ebay. Been working fine ever since.

Top Bottom