• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD is 'working actively on really cool differentiators' to make the next generation of 3D V-cache 'even better'

LordOfChaos

PC enthusiasts know that if you want the best gaming CPU, then you really can't go wrong with the Ryzen 7 7800X3D. Its mighty gaming chops are helped in no small way by the additional 64MB of 3D V-cache, so when AMD announced its new Zen 5 architecture, many hoped there would be some info on Ryzen 9000X3D models. That never happened, but AMD did tell us that it's "working actively on really cool differentiators" to make 3D V-cache "even better."

While at Computex 2024 in Taiwan, we chatted for a while with Donny Woligroski, AMD's senior technical marketing manager. When we got around to talking about plans for 3D V-cache versions of Zen 5 chips, he was especially enthusiastic about the technology.

"The X3D stuff, we have a lot to say about it. The best part about it is we're not just resting on laurels. We're improving what we can do with X3D, it's really exciting and I'm super looking forward to talking to people about that."

Woligroski couldn't go into any specifics, but he did continue talking about what AMD is doing regarding 3D V-cache. "It's not like, hey, we've also added X3D to a chip. We are working actively on really cool differentiators to make it even better. We're working on X3D, we're improving it."

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
What they really mean is the 9000 series 3D chips are going to be very expensive.
They going to condition the masses to love it with an Everybody Loves Inflation Sitcom.

Cbs Robert Barone GIF by HULU

intbal

They going to find some way to embed them in a mesh rather than place them on top?
I don't know what else could make it better.

hinch7

It kind of has to (innovate).. the generational gap is rather incrimental, at least for gaming for current X3D owners. They'll need something really special for it not to be modest upgrade.

Last edited:

Codeblew

I hope they have Infinity cache for both CCD's of the 9950X3D. I need the extra 8 cores for my dev work otherwise I would just go for the 9800X3D.

Kadve

Gold Member
They going to find some way to embed them in a mesh rather than place them on top?
I don't know what else could make it better.

Sounds like Intel is planning something like that anyway.

“But in our roadmap, you’re going to see this idea of the 3D silicon, where we’ll have cache on one die, right? And then we’ll have CPU compute on a stacked die, on top of it,” Gelsinger said.

That sounds different than AMD, which has been using the chip-stacking tech to place added memory on top of its CPU dies. According to Gelsinger, Intel wants to do the opposite and stack the CPU on top of the memory.
Although Intel’s CEO was light on details, he said the company plans on connecting the chip dies vertically using its EMIB and Foveros processes, allowing the silicon to communicate together in a single package. “So we feel very good that we have advanced capabilities for next-generation memory architectures,” he added.

Xyphie

Having V-cache extending into the L2 cache seems possible? Vias inside the CPU core's L2 cache extending into the cache die and extending it from 1 MB into 2 MB or something like that. Stacking multiple dies on top of each other is another option, so e.g. 64+64+32 L3 for a 3-Hi configuration. Eventually we'll probably see only the CPU logic ship on new nodes, and the SRAM on the n-1 node for scaling reasons.

Top Bottom