• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Didn't want to give the impression the list I wrote was all that I watched. A short list of your favorites works great for me. I'm watching Monster currently -- excellent. Caught a few episodes of the Last Exile on tv, but never watched it from start to finish. I thought it was good. Have you watched Gankutusuou? It's a very creative retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo.

Can you tell me why these character seem to be fighting in a tournament? Aren't they supposed to be fighting alien creatures?

Forgot to mention Thunderbolt, I watched the OVAs. It was amazing. And yeah I haven't watched 0080 even though it's short. I should get around to that sometime.

Being a fan of the GITS manga and film, for some reason I never got around to watch Stand Alone Complex. Good recommendation -- it's this kind of show that I forgot about even though I was considering it a long time ago.

Clannad seems to be a classic, guess I'll add it to the list.

I will throw out the Gundam Hathaway movie as well, and you can join the rest of us screaming "PART 2 WHEN!?" everytime sunrise announces a new movie that's NOT Hathaway (they have done 3 now, and they where awesome but that's not the point, there not Hathaway)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It sucks though. High production values for what's ultimately a very dumb plot with unlikable characters. It's all the stuff I couldn't stand from Zeta and CCA.

I suppose the difference is I really liked Zeta and CCA, I thought the whole "humanity needs to leave earth for the survival of earth" is an intresting point. It's why they made the colonies in the first place, and after CCA they where essentially stuck with the same question unanswered, what now after the failure of Char? Hathaway is beginning of the answer. Part 1 sets up the sides and factions but ultimately ends with nothing being achieved. Part 2 will be the make or break of it ultimately. But I enoyed it, like alot.

It got bonus points from me for being the best at showing how mobile suits effect civilians caught in the crossfire since F91

That needless mother's death sticks with me to this day.

Last edited:
LOL that you wrote Stardust Memory as "Stardust Crusaders".
After War: Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Ghost In The Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, Patlabor OVA, Steins Gate, Space Dandy, and Mob Psycho 100.
What ? I didn’t realize I wrote Crusaders :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Forgot to mention LOGH, Patlabor, Steins Gate, and Mob Psycho among the series I watched, hence the “many more”. Thanks for the recommendations! I remember starting Turn A, enjoyed it a lot but stopped watching it cause I started spending more time gaming.

I will throw out the Gundam Hathaway movie as well, and you can join the rest of us screaming "PART 2 WHEN!?" everytime sunrise announces a new movie that's NOT Hathaway (they have done 3 now, and they where awesome but that's not the point, there not Hathaway)
I watched the first 30 minutes or so and I have no idea what the conflict is, who the factions are and what the protagonist wants.

I'm never going to say it enough: I really dislike Clannad. It did "change my life", in that I learned not to believe all the hype around some anime and manga.
I also disliked Little Busters, but loved Angel Beats, as well as Ef (I think it is from the same author?), mostly Memories, Melodies not as much.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm never going to say it enough: I really dislike Clannad. It did "change my life", in that I learned not to believe all the hype around some anime and manga.
I also disliked Little Busters, but loved Angel Beats, as well as Ef (I think it is from the same author?), mostly Memories, Melodies not as much.
Babies first crying series. Same with AnoHana.

NanaMiku

Can you tell me why these character seem to be fighting in a tournament? Aren't they supposed to be fighting alien creatures?
So they are fighting aliens, but they also have rank battle simulation that decides the ranking of the team. The alien battle currently only happens at the beginning of the story and the beginning of season 2. The rest is focused on battles between teams to prepare to go to the alien world.

Current arc in the manga is away team test, after this arc most likely we will go to the alien world.

World Trigger is slow-burn series. The story is moving slowly and the manga chapter releases irregularly because the author just recovered. But the battle is really great because the power level is really balanced

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Grave of the Fireflies is actually good though.... 😢

Sorry but as someone who's gone though far too much anime in my life I honestly just cannot understand Clannad hate in it's genre outside of people doing a "I hate this band because it's popular now" stance.

I saw Clannad as it was airing and compared to it's sister productions Kanon (2006) and Air it's drastically superior. Even extending this out to other slice of life/Drama series of the time your looking at Shuffle and Higurashi, again superior.

Even decades after it's release your yet to see many slice of life series where the set up is a typical harem but the boy makes a choice... and then the series continues, there's simply decades later not many that pull this off and its arguably still the best at it. The only two I can think of is the prior mentioned Shuffle and stretching it a bit the currently airing Mushoku Tensei.

Too many people say it works and works so well that it's a literal meme for me to take anyone serious who says its undercooked or underdelivered, but then again I dated a girl who told me John Carpenters The Thing was boring and the monster looked stupid, so there's no accounting for taste.

Last edited:
So they are fighting aliens, but they also have rank battle simulation that decides the ranking of the team. The alien battle currently only happens at the beginning of the story and the beginning of season 2. The rest is focused on battles between teams to prepare to go to the alien world.

Current arc in the manga is away team test, after this arc most likely we will go to the alien world.

World Trigger is slow-burn series. The story is moving slowly and the manga chapter releases irregularly because the author just recovered. But the battle is really great because the power level is really balanced
Going to the alien world to fight them there? Now that sounds really interesting.

Top Bottom