• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apophis Asteroid of doom is actually 75% larger than we thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
via Gizmodo

The deadly asteroid Apophis is safely passing by Earth today, more than 9 million miles (14.5 million kilometers) from our home planet. Next time we won't be so lucky. On April 13, 2029, Apophis will come so close that it may destroy satellites in orbit.
The European Space Agency's Herschel space observatory has acquired new images of the asteroid and their new data is conclusive.

First, it's much bigger than NASA's previous estimation. According to the new images, this rocky beast has a diamater of 1,066 foot (325 meters), with a margin of error of ±49 feet (±15 meters). According to team leader Thomas Müller of the Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics in Garching, Germany, "the 20% increase in diameter, from 270 to 325 m, translates into a 75% increase in our estimates of the asteroid's volume or mass."

What that means is if it hits Earth, its destructive power will be much higher than what scientists originally expected. Based on previous data, NASA estimated an impact of 510 megatons for Apophis. That's more than two times the energy released by the Krakatoa eruption of 1883, an event that changed Earth's global climate for five years.

While scientists have not released a new estimate, the 75 percent mass increase may bring its power closer to NASA's earlier estimations of 880 megatons—about 17 Tsars, the biggest nuclear bomb ever created.

The good news (!) is that Apophis is still small enough not to kill us all, but it can disrupt life on the planet for a few decades (click here to watch Neil DeGrasse talking about the effects of an Apophis impact in California). For comparison, the Chicxulub asteroid released about 100,000,000 megatons when it triggered the mass extinction event that supposedly wiped out the dinosaurs.

The 2029 pass

In 2029 we'll be safe from Apophis mayhem too. The asteroid will not hit Earth then, say astronomers, but it "will pass within 36,000 kilometers of Earth's surface, closer even than the orbits of geostationary satellites."

This means that, while our pale blue dot would be spared, our highly populated constellation of satellites may suffer some casualties. Which will be bad if it happens, but not as bad as NASA's initial estimation of 2.7% chance of impact.

Nobody knows exactly if a satellite collision may occur. Space is awfully big, but there are plenty of satellites out there. Enough that it's not crazy to think that some of them may be wiped out as we watch Apophis marching through the night sky.

What may happen in 2036

Scientists can't tell what will happen in the following pass, in 2036. According to the latest analysis, there is a 1 in 250,000 probability of impact. It's extremely low, but still higher than the odds of being hit by lightning. That's why the Russians are considering a mission to deflect it—with Bruce Willis' character played by Sean Connery as Captain Marko Ramius.

original.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5974708/apophis-may-destroy-earth-satellites-in-2029

Here is a video simulation of the 2036 impact...
not really, but I still lol'd at the absurdity of the video

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I really hope it doesn't destroy an internet satellite, or some other important satellite. Also, I wonder if I'll be alive in 16 years.

Aiii

So not worth it
So wait, it's still another 16 years until the next apocalyse?

Come on internet, we can do better than that!

Alx

You know, when it gets close to us, we should piggy-back some kind of scientific hardware on it, and turn it into our own huge exploration probe. :)
(I doubt it's realistic though, considering the short window and probable lack of knowledge on its surface)

strafer

I address you tonight not as the President of the United States, not as the leader of a country, but as a citizen of humanity. We are faced with the very gravest of challenges. The Bible calls this day "Armageddon" - the end of all things. And yet, for the first time in the history of the planet, a species has the technology to prevent its own extinction. All of you praying with us need to know that everything that can be done to prevent this disaster is being called into service. The human thirst for excellence, knowledge; every step up the ladder of science; every adventurous reach into space; all of our combined modern technologies and imaginations; even the wars that we've fought have provided us the tools to wage this terrible battle. Through all of the chaos that is our history; through all of the wrongs and the discord; through all of the pain and suffering; through all of our times, there is one thing that has nourished our souls, and elevated our species above its origins, and that is our courage. The dreams of an entire planet are focused tonight on those fourteen brave souls traveling into the heavens. And may we all, citizens the world over, see these events through. God speed, and good luck to you.

I address you tonight not as the President of the United States, not as the leader of a country, but as a citizen of humanity. We are faced with the very gravest of challenges. The Bible calls this day "Armageddon" - the end of all things. And yet, for the first time in the history of the planet, a species has the technology to prevent its own extinction. All of you praying with us need to know that everything that can be done to prevent this disaster is being called into service. The human thirst for excellence, knowledge; every step up the ladder of science; every adventurous reach into space; all of our combined modern technologies and imaginations; even the wars that we've fought have provided us the tools to wage this terrible battle. Through all of the chaos that is our history; through all of the wrongs and the discord; through all of the pain and suffering; through all of our times, there is one thing that has nourished our souls, and elevated our species above its origins, and that is our courage. The dreams of an entire planet are focused tonight on those fourteen brave souls traveling into the heavens. And may we all, citizens the world over, see these events through. God speed, and good luck to you.

we don't have space shuttle anymore

rip guys see you up there

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
You know, when it gets close to us, we should piggy-back some kind of scientific hardware on it, and turn it into our own huge exploration probe. :)
(I doubt it's realistic though, considering the short window and probable lack of knowledge on its surface)

Yes. Absolutely, yes. That would be so fuc*ing cool, they need to get on that right now. Imagine 9 years later when it comes around again, and it's sending us all sorts of data as we look through a telescope to see it on the surface. Short of putting a person on Mars, that has to be the coolest thing we could possibly do in the near future regarding space.

EDIT:
we don't have space shuttle anymore

rip guys see you up there

Can't we build one within 16 years?

In 2029 we'll be safe from Apophis mayhem too

I don't believe it.

If they were wrong with their estimation this time, why should I be confident in their estimations far into the future?

2029 NASA: oops, our calculations were a little off. Brace for impact, sorry guys!

Kiraly

Such a beautiful scene

Dat music

Phoenix

Highly realistic, but we don't have the resources (i.e. we're underfunded) to properly launch a surveyor mission.

Gizmodo... can they even read? Take a look on NASA's website.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/news/asteroid20130110.html

"With the new data provided by the Magdalena Ridge [New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology] and the Pan-STARRS [Univ. of Hawaii] optical observatories, along with very recent data provided by the Goldstone Solar System Radar, we have effectively ruled out the possibility of an Earth impact by Apophis in 2036," said Don Yeomans, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at JPL. "The impact odds as they stand now are less than one in a million, which makes us comfortable saying we can effectively rule out an Earth impact in 2036. Our interest in asteroid Apophis will essentially be for its scientific interest for the foreseeable future."

I don't know what their sources are but NASA says there's a 1 in a million chance of a collision. Gizmodo says 1 in 250,000.

17 Tsars is fucking insane. Not humanity-destroying powerful, but whatever country gets hit by that would experiene severe damage and God knows how many casualties.

Darklord

Banned
Gizmodo... can they even read? Take a look on NASA's website.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/news/asteroid20130110.html

"With the new data provided by the Magdalena Ridge [New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology] and the Pan-STARRS [Univ. of Hawaii] optical observatories, along with very recent data provided by the Goldstone Solar System Radar, we have effectively ruled out the possibility of an Earth impact by Apophis in 2036," said Don Yeomans, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at JPL. "The impact odds as they stand now are less than one in a million, which makes us comfortable saying we can effectively rule out an Earth impact in 2036. Our interest in asteroid Apophis will essentially be for its scientific interest for the foreseeable future."

I don't know what their sources are but NASA says there's a 1 in a million chance of a collision. Gizmodo says 1 in 250,000.

I might be wrong but I think at one point it was said to be 1 in 250,000.

Ein Bear

What's everyone so worked up about? So there's a comet. Big deal. It'll burn up in atmosphere and whatever's left will be no bigger than a Chihuahua's head.

Phoenix

17 Tsars is fucking insane. Not humanity-destroying powerful, but whatever country gets hit by that would experiene severe damage and God knows how many casualties.

If its going to hit us, they will be able to compute where it will hit with reasonable certainty far enough out that people can relocate away. The issue will be the massive amount of refugees from the impact region and how the rest of the world will deal with them. Heaven help us if it impacts the oil field region - that's bound to be as damaging as the actual impact.

RoyalFool

Banned
Can't to wait to find out that N.Korea will save the day when their magical satellite grabs it and chucks it away, followed by their leader flying around the world on his unicorn giving us high fives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom