• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple WWDC live watch party

LordOfChaos

Screenshot_2024-06-10_at_2.08.19_PM.png

No points for guessing when they said "intelligence" will be discussed later lol

SJRB

Gold Member
So far everything they've shown about iOS is just hilarious. Just the most mundane shit brought like it's some mindblowing innovation.

"You can now tap to use emojis!"
"The words in your message are animated!!"
"The Mail app now sorts your mail in different categories!"

The guy going "you can now place the icon on the bottom row if you want!! Or even on the side!!! Isn't that amazing" had me rolling.

Literally every point has me going "wait it didn't do this already?"

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Had no idea this was going on.

They bricked my Messages app for 3 days last week so that was great.

Yeah, I am not impressed. Seems like Vision Pro basically - something existing that is done more cleaner but that's basically it.

SJRB

Gold Member
God Tim Cook is still such a bad talker, using the same intonation in literally every sentence.

This show was whack. iOS 18, nothing new. MacOS, nothing new or interesting aside from the iPhone mirror. The whole Apple Intelligence segment was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Calling it "Personal Context" instead of "Protected Personal Information" doesn't hide the fact they are going to use every ounce of data on your phone to train AI unless you opt out somewhere obtuse. Change my mind.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Honestly I thought that was a pretty good keynote. I’m a sucker for those dumb little additions, like bouncing words and custom emojis. But the real shit is definitely iPhone mirroring and the new AI stuff.

I’d give this a C+ overall.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m probably going to be made fun of for this but I just started and the opening was great. Best opening in a while. Didn’t take itself to seriously.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Going to be honest, I really do enjoy the updates to iOS 18. Forcing face to open certain apps, even hiding apps and requiring face id to access - this is great if you have nosy family members, kids, or someone manages to guess your password.
The customization features are great, though they should have been a thing over a decade ago.

Much of the iPadOS features were more for students, but I do like smart script and the improvements to collapsible sections in notes? Its nice for me. Math Notes seems like a great thing for students in math courses.

I do wish they would allow the same level of customization to iPadOS as they allow for iOS 18.

LordOfChaos

Big difference in memory usage with their Sequoia optimizations for the foundation model. You can see though why it required 8GB iPhones, as calling it in will use half your available RAM, and clearing most of the RAM each time on 4/6GB would obviously be a bad experience. Likely to push some further back apps out of RAM though still. And just tells you that they've been too stingy with RAM on iOS devices.

Screenshot_2024-06-10_at_8.58.48_PM.png

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Literally every point has me going "wait it didn't do this already?"
This happens so much when I read about Apple stuff, like iOS getting emulators just recently. I guess once you are in their ecosystem you literally have no options so don't want to admit to any limitations.

LordOfChaos

Jobs spinning in his grave so fast you could power a large town with the electricity he's generating.

Yeah. People are going to have some ugly ass tasteless home screens. But it's what the people want and Tim Apple wants the people's moneys.

Top Bottom