• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artists on Neogaf - showcase your art

Sorry about the late reply. But the software that I am using is actually quite old. It was originally developed for StudioGhibli in the mid 90's, as far as I can tell. I think it was used with various different workstations back then.

I am not sure what the actual development time line was for the software, but I think it was used commercially all the way up to 2008-ish. The program use to be called just 'Toonz' . It was GPL'd, and went opensource in 2016 under its' current name Opentoonz. There are a few different forks of it. I mostly use the vanilla Opentoonz and sometimes flip to Opentoonz: Morvna Edition.

It has vector features as well as raster. It is kinda 'flash like' in ways. But I do like it as open source software. The software was used for various Ghibli movies, as well as the earlier seasons of Futurama. It is still used to some degree on a professional level.

It can crash sometimes. But newer updates are stable than older updates.

I am debating on posting this, because it is incomplete... but my first project using opetoonz was this attempt at recreating the DiC Legend of Zelda intro for the short series that was packaged with the original Super Mario Bros Super Show from 1989.

I started this a few years back when I first discovered Opentoonz. Animation has always been on my bucket list. I wish I started earlier in life. I had no idea what I was doing when I started the project. I did all of the background panels first, because I do have a background in digital art and digital painting, I have some experience with 3D modeling and vector art. I have never tackled an animation project like this before. I could've used Blender for 2D animation, in retrospect.

I struggled when I got to the animation portion of this project. So I put it on hold indefinitely and went to making all sorts of smaller animation projects (not Steamboat Willie, other crapchute animation) . The Steamboat Willie thing happened after the cartoon went public domain, and it is a 'trace over' like the title card reads. I worked on that for three months, and I think it caused my brain to fry after drawing Mickey for 5000+ frames in repetition and I am still recovering. I will get back and finish that last 3 minutes. I will probably just focus on that until it is done.

This Zelda intro recreation was not a trace over the the original frames. I will finish this too. The animation is all over the fucking place. Also, the audio track does get copywrite striked when I try and upload it. Less motivation for me to complete this. Unfortunately.

Renoir

0PAsFeS.jpeg

I don’t like coloring. It takes super long, and results are never what I imagined. This turned out good though. Are there faster way to color other than to use the pen like a paint brush. I seen couple of YouTube’s and they all do the same but speeded up.

Last edited:

Renoir

I am debating on posting this, because it is incomplete... but my first project using opetoonz was this attempt at recreating the DiC Legend of Zelda intro for the short series that was packaged with the original Super Mario Bros Super Show from 1989.

I started this a few years back when I first discovered Opentoonz. Animation has always been on my bucket list. I wish I started earlier in life. I had no idea what I was doing when I started the project. I did all of the background panels first, because I do have a background in digital art and digital painting, I have some experience with 3D modeling and vector art. I have never tackled an animation project like this before. I could've used Blender for 2D animation, in retrospect.

I struggled when I got to the animation portion of this project. So I put it on hold indefinitely and went to making all sorts of smaller animation projects (not Steamboat Willie, other crapchute animation) . The Steamboat Willie thing happened after the cartoon went public domain, and it is a 'trace over' like the title card reads. I worked on that for three months, and I think it caused my brain to fry after drawing Mickey for 5000+ frames in repetition and I am still recovering. I will get back and finish that last 3 minutes. I will probably just focus on that until it is done.

This Zelda intro recreation was not a trace over the the original frames. I will finish this too. The animation is all over the fucking place. Also, the audio track does get copywrite striked when I try and upload it. Less motivation for me to complete this. Unfortunately.

This look good. At least you started.. ima fish out some animations I did.
how long it took you for this? Those the program help with adding frames?

Keihart

0PAsFeS.jpeg

I don’t like coloring. It takes super long, and results are never what I imagined. This turned out good though. Are there faster way to color other than to use the pen like a paint brush. I seen couple of YouTube’s and they all do the same but speeded up.
idk what program you use, but a simple but fast way to do it is to use the lasso fill
36L4TtJ.png
, thats the name of the tool on clip studio, it probably has a similar name on photoshop. I have no idea what procreate has.
the tool allows you to select an area and fill it with a solid color.
hope it helps.

Renoir

idk what program you use, but a simple but fast way to do it is to use the lasso fill
36L4TtJ.png
, thats the name of the tool on clip studio, it probably has a similar name on photoshop. I have no idea what procreate has.
the tool allows you to select an area and fill it with a solid color.
hope it helps.
yea. Ill definitely check it. i had procreate for a while i still don't think i use it to its full potential. Im using it as a sheet of paper.

how long it took you for this? Those the program help with adding frames?

I started this a few years ago... 2019... but at that point, it was just a few backgrounds and some crummy animation. But then I had a harddrive crash, and lost a lot of files, includding all my original frames of animation. But I thankfully had a rough version backed up to Google Drive, with all of the BG layers intact and only a small portion of animation. So I restarted from that.

I 'gave up' on in 2022, and started doing other animated projects instead. Just because I didn't have the fundamentals of animating characters down. Also, I struggled with the vectors in the software. It is kind of an off and on project. .

But I look at that one, and realize that I probably could do the sketch animations in something like Krita Paint and just trace over that in opentoonz. But I am finishing that other project I posted. I was inspired by the Mario re-animate projects that have been posted on youtube, and decided to try my own with the Zelda DiC animated intro.

Top Bottom