• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austria to veto further EU accession talks with Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Since my first thread on this topic got closed for the translation by a banned site (that's my guess at least) here's the news again:

http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/...er-eu-accession-talks-with-turkey_499939.html

Vienna (dpa) - Austria will block the continuation of EU talks with Ankara over Turkey‘s future membership in the bloc, Austrian Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz said Saturday, citing human rights violations in the country.

EU foreign ministers are set to agree in Brussels on Tuesday on how to proceed on this matter, but the decision requires unanimity.

The European Union should suspend the accession talks, Kurz told the Austrian Press Agency, echoing a recent proposal by the European Parliament.

"People with dissenting opinions are being intimidated, opposition politicians are detained, the death penalty is to be introduced. We need a clear reaction by the European Union," the conservative minister said.

Kurz said he closely coordinated his position with Turkey‘s neighbour Bulgaria and with the Netherlands.

The EU should not fear that freezing the talks would scupper its migration deal with Turkey, Kurz said.

"If we allow Turkey to do everything it wants because of the refugee deal and if we look the other way, we will become dangerously dependent" on Turkey, he said.

Same German totally not banned site/source: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausla...eu-gespraechen-mit-der-tuerkei-a-1125349.html

Meeting is this Tuesday.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Austria blocking Turkish European expansion like its 1683

Anyway, while I'm pro-Turkey in the EU, I think this is the correct stance given Erdogan's autocratic rule.

KDR_11k

As if that really makes a difference with the way Turkey is going ATM. No idea why these talks are even still held, they have no value beyond a weak symbolism as there's no way Turkey is going to conform to the requirements now.

woodland

Fucking good, someone had to man up.

Nice that it coincides with a big Saturday Essay from WSJ about Erdogan as well.

KonradLaw

Turkey gonna open the refugee floodgates

They won't. They would loose all the leverage, plus EU would like put sanctions on Turkey. The threat of opening up the floodgates is worth more than anything doing it could provide. As long as they have it they can essenially do whatever they want inside their own country and in the end that's all Edrogan cares about.

Plus that deal isn't such a huge deal to begin with. The flood turned into tiny stream primarly because the balkan route got closed.

Dingens

completely irrelevant statement since turkey wouldn't be able to join the EU if they were to introduce the death penalty. in fact, if you want them to comply with European values, continuing the EU accession talks is the only way to go.
Kurz is just another populist and he should think about joining a certain, blue-coloured party, since that's where his true believes seem to stem from.

Liha

Banned
The Austrian general elections were less than a week ago.

The general election is in 2018 and the right wing party is leading the polls by 9-5% since more than a year. Kurz prepares a right wing / conservative coalition with him as a vice chancellor.

completely irrelevant statement since turkey wouldn't be able to join the EU if they were to introduce the death penalty. in fact, if you want them to comply with European values, continuing the EU accession talks is the only way to go.
Kurz is just another populist and he should think about joining a certain, blue-coloured party, since that's where his true believes seem to stem from.

Ceasing accession talks would be the right course imo, with the status comes access to development funds and there is nothing to be done right now but to wait Erdogan out.

Kurz is a populist and joining the FPÖ would be a disaster for us because he's frickin popular af.

SamVimes

That was the presidential election, more prestige than real power I think.

General election is in 2018.

The general election is in 2018 and the right wing party is leading the polls by 9-5% since more than a year. Kurz prepares a right wing / conservative coalition with him as a vice chancellor.
I thought Austria had a presidential system similar to France. Guess not.

Joni

The problem is that Turkey and Europe need to pretend there is a future so they can have a reason to keep doing the refugee deal and other deals.

Joni

Good. Turkey has no right to be in the EU until Erdogan and his puppets are out of office.

It is also bad because Europe uses that impossible promise to keep Turkey in line as much as possible. If there is a break, Turkey has no monetary reasons to listen to Europe anymore, meaning they have no reason to listen to any pro-Human Rights conversations.

Turkey should be blacklisted, there is nothing good that can come to dealing with semi-tryrant like Edrogan

Boris Johnson is an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom