• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco Asia "gauging market demand" for English release of Asterisk War game

Takao

Banned
Anime News Network:
Bandai Namco Entertainment announced at Anime Festival Asia in Singapore on Saturday that it will localize the Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Hōka Kenran PlayStation Vita game in Asia. The company did not confirm what languages the release would include, but it did show an English-subtitled trailer for the game at the event.

The game is based on author Yuu Miyazaki and illustrator okiura's The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) light novel series.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Hōka Kenran will have an original story where players can choose a partner to team up with in battle, and also to date. The ending will change depending on the player's choice. The game will ship in Japan on January 28 in both a regular and a limited edition.

Aniplex of America licensed the television anime adaptation that premiered in October. The series is streaming on Daisuki, Crunchyroll, and Funimation.

Update: Bandai Namco Entertainment Asia stated on Instagram regarding the announcement, "Rooting for EN localisation? Leave your comment on our [Facebook] page!"

Update 2: Bandai Namco Entertainment told ANN that it is still gauging market demand before it decides the target language for localization.

This is their Facebook page link, but it it's region locked.

SGCafe has an English subtitled trailer alongside a quote from the producer:

“We’re currently looking at market demand for this title, which countries would like it more, et cetera, before making a decision on which language we’ll localize the game in,” the game’s producer Yosuke Futami told SGCafe when asked if the localization would be in English or Chinese.

I'm not familiar with this series, so I'm just going to say it's great to see Bandai Namco Asia take on more projects. Well, assuming the translations are up to snuff lol.

Vex_

Banned
Voice acting sounds really annoying and I don't even know what they are saying...

Gameplay looks aiight.

kadotsu

Banned
I hope they rather continue to support the Digimon brand than this LN, bottom of the barrel dreck. If they want to gauge interest, they should do it for their Super Robot titles.

Asterisk War is... Not really something that I would champion.

But it could be a good action game though- Actually a lot of these shows could be good action games rather than VNs.

18-Volt

Asterisk War but not World Trigger or Tokyo Ghoul? I didn't know that Asterisk War is more popular than those two. English World Trigger is what I'd want.

Read this as "Asterix" war game, and thought there was an RTS based on the comics.

There should be a Rome Total War expansion pack about Asterix. Just Imagine, massive Roman armies against... just two guys.

Yes! I would love to play this game in english subs even though I haven't seen the anime yet. I really think Bamco Asia should start releasing every Japanese games in English subs. Probably less cost of localization?

Takao

Banned
Asterisk War but not World Trigger or Tokyo Ghoul? I didn't know that Asterisk War is more popular than those two. English World Trigger is what I'd want.

I know Tokyo Ghoul seems pretty popular, at least in North America. The game looks like a weird visual novel/dungeon crawler mashup. Maybe they felt it would've been a hard sell despite the brand?

Why , not ?
The anime is alright.

So i might be intrested in the game. If namco is asking me if i would try this game the answer would be a big YES , given that the game systems are solid.

Prelude.

This looked like one of the many budget licensed games from Bamco so it's kinda surprising seeing them talking about a localization.
It seems less janky than Mahouka at least. Maybe.

Odd that Bamco would choose to look into localising this when they didn't bring Madoka Battle Pentagram over, particularly since all their Vita anime action games (bar SAO) use the same engine.

Clov

Odd that Bamco would choose to look into localising this when they didn't bring Madoka Battle Pentagram over, particularly since all their Vita anime action games (bar SAO) use the same engine.

I'm actually surprised that the Madoka game didn't even get a PSN only release here. It's a pretty popular franchise in the Western anime fanbase. I'd still like it to come over, though the time has probably passed by now. Given that even Sword Art Online games are being localized now (with physical releases too), maybe if there's another Madoka game in the future (which I'm sure there will be) it will have a better chance at localization.

This is not really a show Id really want to play a game off and not the first choice on my list of animu games I want here.

Though if I can pair up my male character with Eishiru Yabuki then Id want it immediately, hes so underrated.

Shouta

I like the anime but the gameplay looks a little slow and floaty, lol. I'd consider it if it came over but I'm not gonna write any letters for its release.

Trace

Banned
I like the anime but the gameplay looks a little slow and floaty, lol. I'd consider it if it came over but I'm not gonna write any letters for its release.

Same. I enjoy the anime but the gameplay footage does nothing for me.

The combat in the anime is closer to Bloodborne than it is to the gameplay footage shown for this game.

Datschge

Why does it say "Asian localization confirmed" at the end of the trailer if they are still gauging interest? Just for deciding in what language to localize it?

Takao

Banned
Why does it say "Asian localization confirmed" at the end of the trailer if they are still gauging interest? Just for deciding in what language to localize it?

“We’re currently looking at market demand for this title, which countries would like it more, et cetera, before making a decision on which language we’ll localize the game in,” the game’s producer Yosuke Futami told SGCafe when asked if the localization would be in English or Chinese.

http://sgcafe.com/2015/11/the-aster...ell-bandai-namco-asia-you-want-it-in-english/

t26

Wonder why it is taking so long for them to decide. God Eater Resurrection and Summon Night 6 got confirmed Chinese localization pretty quickly.

LMN

There should be a Rome Total War expansion pack about Asterix. Just Imagine, massive Roman armies against... just two guys.

There World Trigger Demo on Jp psn, tried it & imho its really bad and bland. In term of asian english localization, would prefer for them to localize God eater instead, still waiting for it.

popyea

Dating your fighting partner? That's a pretty neat concept.

Edit: Actually fighting your date would be even cooler.

Top Bottom