• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bay Area-Age: Ship crashes into Bay Bridge tower, spills fuel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dunno if this was posted here or not, the crash happened yesterday morning.
Ship crashes into Bay Bridge tower, spills fuel oil

Carl Nolte, Michael Taylor, Chronicle Staff Writers
Thursday, November 8, 2007

An 810-foot-long container ship crashed into the base of a tower of the Bay Bridge's western span in heavy fog Wednesday, spilling 58,000 gallons of fuel into San Francisco Bay.

It was the first time in memory that an oceangoing ship had run into the bridge. There was no apparent major damage to the span, but the hull of Hanjin Shipping's 65,131-ton Cosco Busan was ripped.

Within hours of the 8:30 a.m. crash, oil was showing up on the San Francisco waterfront and on Pacific Ocean beaches in Marin County. By nightfall, several beaches in San Francisco were closed to the public, and the state's Office of Emergency Services had instructed Bay Area counties to begin assessing potential dangers to the public from contamination.

The U.S. Coast Guard said 8,000 gallons of the fuel had been contained by the evening, and the state Department of Fish and Game's oil spill unit began taking steps to contain and clean up the rest of the spill.

Coast Guard investigators were looking into how the ship, under the control of one of the bay's most experienced pilots and equipped with radar, crashed.

The ship hit the base of the second tower west of Yerba Buena Island, scraping up against the wood, plastic and concrete fender that protects each tower from damage at water level. The fender system "performed the way it was designed," and the bridge remains sound, Caltrans spokesman Bart Ney said.

He said no one driving on the bridge would have felt a thing.

It's extremely rare for a ship to hit one of the eight spans that cross the bay - the last such incident was 10 years ago, when a vessel ran into the Benicia-Martinez bridge - and the Coast Guard said something must have gone badly awry in Wednesday's accident.

The agency would not speculate on whether either mechanical factors or human error was the most likely explanation.

"Obviously, it shouldn't have happened," said Coast Guard Capt. William Uberti, captain of the Port of San Francisco and the chief federal officer investigating the incident.

Hundreds of ships pass under the Bay Bridge every year, and all of them are equipped with radar and are under the control of a bar pilot, a mariner with long experience on San Francisco Bay and its approaches.

The Cosco Busan was carrying container cargo bound from Oakland to South Korea. It had just left the dock on the Oakland estuary west of Jack London Square and was proceeding to sea when the accident occurred.

The pilot on board was Capt. John Cota, who has worked on the bay for more than 25 years, said Patrick Moloney, executive director of the San Francisco Pilot Commission. Cota is one of the most experienced of the 60 captains who guide ships into the bay, Moloney said.

Efforts to reach Cota for comment were unsuccessful.

Although the ship's own captain has overall responsibility, the pilot controls the navigation of the vessel from the time it leaves the dock until the ship is clear of the approaches to the Golden Gate, about 12 miles at sea.

Typically, according to mariners, a pilot leaving Oakland will turn slightly left into a bar channel and then right as the ship approaches the Bay Bridge.

Most container ships outbound from Oakland will go between the two bridge towers nearest Yerba Buena Island. The channel between the two bridge towers is 2,212 feet wide, and usually an outbound ship steers directly in the middle of the channel.

The fog was unusually thick Wednesday morning as the Cosco Busan headed out, and the National Weather Service had issued a dense fog advisory.

In fog, the pilot uses radar to determine the ship's position. There is also a radar transponder in the center of the bridge between the towers.

For some unknown reason, the Cosco Busan drifted left as it approached the bridge. The tide had just turned, and the current was flooding slightly - that is, moving into the bay from the ocean, or moving in a southerly direction under the Bay Bridge. This, mariners say, can cause even a large ship to drift.

The Cosco Busan hit the tower fender on its port, or left, side - tearing a gash 160 feet long about 10 feet above the water line.

The Coast Guard's Uberti would not speculate on the cause of the accident. However, people familiar with ship operations said there could have been a number of explanations.

The ship might have lost power or steering and thus have been out of control, mariners said. The seaman steering the ship under the pilot's orders might have made a mistake. The pilot might have been forced to swerve to avoid a small vessel, or he might have made an error in the position of the ship.

Once the ship was brought under control, the crew transferred fuel from the leaking tanks into other fuel tanks. The ship then moved under its own power to Anchorage Nine, in the middle of the bay near Candlestick Point. It trailed a sheen of oil as it went.

The Coast Guard is testing Cosco Busan's navigating officers and crew and the pilot for drugs or alcohol. The ship will remain at anchor indefinitely and will not be allowed to go to sea until the Coast Guard and other authorities determine what repairs need to be made.

In the meantime, the accident and oil spill are being investigated by no fewer than 13 organizations, from the Coast Guard and the state Department of Fish and Game to the San Francisco police and fire departments.

This really really sucks...fuel oil breaks down slowly, is hard to clean up and could affect marine life for years. Looks like there's oil all over the Bay.

Authorities shut down Baker Beach, China Beach, Crissy Field and Fort Point in San Francisco after oil washed up on them Wednesday night. Alcatraz Island and Kirby Cove on the Marin Headlands coast have also been closed because of the oil.

A Golden Gate National Recreation Area ranger, stationed at a roadblock near the Point Bonita lighthouse on the Marin Headlands, said, "This area is all full of oil. You can smell it. This whole area is closed."

Chris Godley, emergency services manager for Marin County, said slicks had appeared in the water near the North Bay shoreline.

One slick, 50 yards long and 20 yards wide, was seen off Paradise Drive in Tiburon. Another was seen in Richardson Bay near Bayfront Park in Mill Valley, Godley said.

Representative from 13 agencies met this morning at Fort Mason to discuss the next steps.

Until 9 p.m. Wednesday, the Coast Guard said only 140 gallons had spilled from the vessel. That estimate came from the ship's owners, Uberti said, and the Coast Guard realized later after checking the bay that the magnitude was far greater.

Although the agency did not announce that news until well after sundown, Uberti said the initial cleanup response was appropriate.

The ship's owners called in a private cleanup company, O'Brien's Group of Southern California, immediately after the accident, Uberti said.

Barry McFarland, incident commander with the company, said that in addition to the fouled beaches, cleanup crews are concentrating on three main sheens of oil in the bay - one west of Treasure Island, a second north of the Bay Bridge and a third south of Angel Island.

Five vessels are in the bay and three are outside the Golden Gate looking for additional oil patches, he said. The company has laid down about 18,000 feet of containment boom, and about 115 people are at work in the field scooping up the oil.

ba_oilspill09_0107_mac.jpg

ba_oil_spill_0271_kr.jpg

ba_oil_spill_0299_kr.jpg

ba_oil_spill_0312_kr.jpg

Trakdown

God dammit.

And I just came from the Bay area on vacation and was loving the view of the ocean. Now it's going to be all mucked up, animals are going to die and it's going to take forever to clean.

Hope this clean up goes better than the Exxon fiasco.

Lelielle

That's terrible :( I hope they manage to save lots of animals -I'd be first in line to help clean up the otters...... ;_;

Tarazet

It's a horrible thing to happen. The north bay was one of the most idyllic and pristine marine areas around, and now it's ruined.

Lelielle said:
That's terrible :( I hope they manage to save lots of animals -I'd be first in line to help clean up the otters...... ;_;
Lisa: [enthusiastic] I'm gonna rescue a baby seal, and then I'm gonna save an otter!

Man: Whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm sorry, but all the animals have already been reserved for celebrities.

dankir

Lucky Forward said:
Lisa: [enthusiastic] I'm gonna rescue a baby seal, and then I'm gonna save an otter!

Man: Whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm sorry, but all the animals have already been reserved for celebrities.

But these rocks need cleaning, hundreds and thousands of rocks!

XiaNaphryz

Suburban Cowboy said:
what about my precious oil!?
What's ironic is that a lot of the oil is heading towards the shores of one of Chevron's major refineries in the area.

Tarazet

XiaNaphryz said:
What's ironic is that a lot of the oil is heading towards the shores of one of Chevron's major refineries in the area.

Wasn't it leaving Oakland? Or was it just circling around to go to Benicia?

XiaNaphryz

sonarrat said:
Wasn't it leaving Oakland? Or was it just circling around to go to Benicia?

As of this morning I heard on a radio traffic report that it's gone up as far as the Richmond-San Rafael bridge. Dunno how far out of the Golden Gate it's gotten.

Tarazet

XiaNaphryz said:
As of this morning I heard on a radio traffic report that it's gone up as far as the Richmond-San Rafael bridge. Dunno how far out of the Golden Gate it's gotten.

Damn, that's really bad.. but I was asking whether it was going to the Benicia refinery, because it sounded like it was leaving Oakland on the way somewhere else. I would think rail freight would be more efficient for a short jaunt from Oakland to Benicia.

XiaNaphryz

sonarrat said:
Damn, that's really bad.. but I was asking whether it was going to the Benicia refinery, because it sounded like it was leaving Oakland on the way somewhere else. I would think rail freight would be more efficient for a short jaunt from Oakland to Benicia.
Oh, you mean the ship? I dunno, last I know it was still anchored near Candlestick Point.

Also, supposedly Ocean Beach is contaminated now, surfers are reporting their wetsuits are dissolving in the fuel oil.

More images:

mn_baybridge.jpg

ba_bridgehit0137mac.jpg

ba_bridgehit_0068_mac.jpg

ba_spill_beach_173_pc.jpg

ba_oilspill09_0120_mac.jpg

ba_spill_011a_fl.jpg

ba_oilspill09_0037_mac.jpg

daemonic

Banned
I hate seeing things like this. If I was in the area, I would totally help out with cleaning the animals. I'm sure a lot of them won't survive.

Trakdown

What is it with these huge failures of transit near the Bay Area? Earlier this year, there was a tanker truck accident that cut off part of the busiest work commute and forced EVERYBODY onto public transportation.

XiaNaphryz

Trakdown said:
What is it with these huge failures of transit near the Bay Area? Earlier this year, there was a tanker truck accident that cut off part of the busiest work commute and forced EVERYBODY onto public transportation.
Well, supposedly this is the first time a large ship has hit a bridge tower pier, so the local mariners have had a perfect record in that regard for over 80 years til now.

XiaNaphryz

Branduil said:
ba_oil_spill_0299_kr.jpg

Yeah, that's a little bit more than 140 gallons.
Yeah, the SF mayor's pretty pissed off about the initial estimate, and are considering legal action against those responsible for all the damage.
Until 9 p.m. Wednesday, the Coast Guard said only 140 gallons had spilled from the vessel. Coast Guard officials said that estimate came from the ship's owners and that the Coast Guard only realized the spill was much greater after it conducted its own inspection of the bay.

U.S. Coast Guard Capt. William Uberti has said the initial cleanup response was appropriate, but city officials said today that had they known the spill was 58,000 early on, they would have laid down more boom lines and responded to the event with more urgency.

"When you're off by 58,000 gallons that's a big gap," Newsom said. "This is not acceptable. This wasn't in the margin of error."
Another tidbit in that same article that struck me as odd:
The swimming portion of a triathlon scheduled to take place at Treasure Island on Sunday, in which athletes were to swim in the bay as part of the race, could be canceled. City officials said today it is canceled, but race officials said it's still on.
WTF?

XiaNaphryz

Kinda surprised this isn't seeing more coverage on places like CNN. I guess the OJ stuff matters more...

Pachinko

Hope anyone living down there doesn't want to use the beaches for the next 18 months , that's about how long it'll take to get the water nice and clean again, of course some of the effects will likely be noticed for a year or so after that.

I mean , that's alot of fuel.

Pachinko said:
Hope anyone living down there doesn't want to use the beaches for the next 18 months , that's about how long it'll take to get the water nice and clean again, of course some of the effects will likely be noticed for a year or so after that.

I mean , that's alot of fuel.
I regularly go here with our dogs, but we won't be doing that for a while. This is really sad.

ba_spill_beach_173_pc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom