• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC - Xbox boss on future of video game streaming

CyberPanda

Banned
It will take many years before streaming video games becomes mainstream, the head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, has said.

The best gaming experience was still on a console or PC, Mr Spencer told BBC Click's Marc Cieslak.

His comments come just before Google launches its video game streaming service Stadia on 19 November 2019.

Xbox has a rival service called Project xCloud which is still in its public testing phase.

Video here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07v2q7x

ZywyPL

Banned
I think MS is playing next-gen super safe, as there are really this huge question where the video game industry will actually go in the long run, and they wan't to have everything covered - the consoles, handhelds, PC, mobiles, streaming, etc., and be able to adjust on the fly to the current market situation, instead of waking themselves up years too late and having to start from scratch and play a catch-on game with whoever will forecast the future best and be the leader there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think MS is playing next-gen super safe, as there are really this huge question where the video game industry will actually go in the long run, and they wan't to have everything covered - the consoles, handhelds, PC, mobiles, streaming, etc., and be able to adjust on the fly to the current market situation, instead of waking themselves up years too late and having to start from scratch and play a catch-on game with whoever will forecast the future best and be the leader there.
It's not so much "playing safe" as it is diversifying their efforts.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It just boggles my mind the way that PSNow which has been offering streaming for several years now is treated like it simply doesn't exist.

I mean, on one hand if it was referenced as something available now, but not to the same potential quality that'd be fine, but the way its simply ignored just says to me that neither Google nor MS want to deal with the ugly reality of having to explain to people how potentially crippling having a less than perfect connection is for game streaming, and neither do they want to put themselves into a pissing contest about content with an opponent serving way more games than they are, and including some real heavy hitter titles.

Blood Borne

People who actually believe cloud gaming will become mainstream in the near future must live in a really tight bubble.
Not everyone has uber bandwidth and unlimited data like you. You are the minority.

nikolino840

It just boggles my mind the way that PSNow which has been offering streaming for several years now is treated like it simply doesn't exist.

I mean, on one hand if it was referenced as something available now, but not to the same potential quality that'd be fine, but the way its simply ignored just says to me that neither Google nor MS want to deal with the ugly reality of having to explain to people how potentially crippling having a less than perfect connection is for game streaming, and neither do they want to put themselves into a pissing contest about content with an opponent serving way more games than they are, and including some real heavy hitter titles.
Well xcloud works with an Xbox One s quality and psnow at 720p,i think they push the marketing in the play everywhere and not to the quality/resolution/Power... So i think Need less bandwith then stadia and more Easy to play
Plus MS Is working on touch controls so you don't Need a controller too

If you think someone has forgotten psnow Is Just becouse exist already and there's no news unless the new titles

spons

Gold Member
Regarding PS Now, Sony doesn't have the infrastructure to push this beyond a laggy 720p stream. That's quite troublesome for them, because between them, Microsoft and Google, they're the only ones who don't have a massive global server presence. It's possibly the same reason why Nintendo isn't doing streaming, simply because they don't have the capacity at hand to perform well.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Very true but thts just because Sony treated it as an option, not a savior and wasnt going hard on advertisement. Sony has been killing it in hardware, software and services sales so thy felt no need to focus on it so much. On the other hand Microsoft gaming needs something to gain traction after their whipping this gen and losing what thy gained via Xbox 360 so thy are more focused on it and pushing it because they need to bring more ppl in somehow, thts how thy think thy will.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Regarding PS Now, Sony doesn't have the infrastructure to push this beyond a laggy 720p stream. That's quite troublesome for them, because between them, Microsoft and Google, they're the only ones who don't have a massive global server presence. It's possibly the same reason why Nintendo isn't doing streaming, simply because they don't have the capacity at hand to perform well.

This narrative is tiring and bs Your bias shines just by this comment "laggy 720p stream". Tons of ppl have tried Psnow over the years and it is a great streaming solution and most of the time the lag isn't noticeable compared to other streaming services, shit at times I thought I was playing a disc game. Sony is one of the biggest companies and gaming companies in the world when thy need that Infrastructure they will pay for it hence using Amazon and being in talks about azure. They have gakai, acquired OnLive patents and left overs and evolve their service, if and when thy feel the real money is there thy will make tht infrastructure happen. You must be crazy if you think Sony will be stagnant lol

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
This narrative is tiring and bs. Sony is one of the biggest companies and gaming companies in the world when thy need that Infrastructure they will pay for it hence using Amazon and being in talks about azure.
They don't own their own infrastructure. That's the one and only reason they're not performing well in streaming. They can't pay their way out of this with the custom hardware they need. No way in hell they're investing in this and I fully expect them to shutter PS Now's streaming capabilities within 2 years, shifting to local emulation on the PS5 instead (including PS3 emulation). PS Now will become Game Pass, not xCloud.

Gamernyc78

Banned
They don't own their own infrastructure. That's the one and only reason they're not performing well in streaming. They can't pay their way out of this with the custom hardware they need. No way in hell they're investing in this and I fully expect them to shutter PS Now's streaming capabilities within 2 years, shifting to local emulation on the PS5 instead (including PS3 emulation). PS Now will become Game Pass, not xCloud.

Not owning means shit when u have the money to rent or use someone else's which they do and have been doing. Again XCloud will not be some miracle service, just like Stadia won't be, they will all perform in the same realm with same issues. Ppl downplaying Psnow usually are just insecure fanboys (not saying you are). Thankfully I've tried it for myself and know how good it is. All those entering the arena now aren't bringing in some new, crazy magic.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Not owning means shit when u have the money to rent or use someone else's which they do and have been doing. Again XCloud will not be some miracle service, just like Stadia won't be they will all perform in the same realm with same issues.
Exactly, at this point in time (and the coming decade), streaming will not work for the vast majority of people. PS Now is 720p and still has issues, Stadia doesn't work due to lag, insipid pricing and other problems and xCloud will have the exact same issues. I am not biased. Not a single streaming service has ever worked well, and none of them will in the 2020s.

The bolded part is the crux of the matter. None of this works properly, be it Sony, Microsoft or Google.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Exactly, at this point in time (and the coming decade), streaming will not work for the vast majority of people. PS Now is 720p and still has issues, Stadia doesn't work due to lag, insipid pricing and other problems and xCloud will have the exact same issues. I am not biased. Not a single streaming service has ever worked well, and none of them will in the 2020s.

The bolded part is the crux of the matter. None of this works properly, be it Sony, Microsoft or Google.

Ok we are both in agreement tht traditional console gaming is the way to go. BTW all the previews I've been reading has had XCloud games topping out at 720p resolution with some games performing well and others like Gears 5 having noticeable lag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom