• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Lives Matter shifts strategy from street protests to policy in the Trump-era

Notice the lack of protests after the DOJ decision and Jordan Edwards' death? Apparently it's tactical.

Turning away from street protests, Black Lives Matter tries a new tactic in the age of Trump
In recent years, policing has been among the nation’s most visible issues as people outraged by use of force and racial disparities in punishment took to the streets under the “Black Lives Matter” banner. But news related to controversial police encounters with black Americans has been met with relatively subdued responses in recent weeks. A viral video showing police in a Michigan town pointing a gun at unarmed black boys. An officer in a Dallas suburb fatally shooting an unarmed black teenager. A plea deal for a onetime North Charleston, S.C., officer who shot a fleeing suspect in the back.

No massive protests. No nonstop news coverage.

“If they’re not here tonight, I think they’ll be here tomorrow,” said Rafael Bobb, 41, who was hanging out in the parking lot of the Triple S Food Mart on Wednesday, hopeful that it was just the weather deterring activists. “At the end of the day, somebody’s got to be held accountable.”

But activists say the movement’s efforts have entered a new phase — one more focused on policy than protest — prompted by the election of President Trump.

“What people are seeing is that there are less demonstrations,” said Alicia Garza, one of three women credited with coining the #BlackLivesMatter hashtag after a jury acquitted a neighborhood watchman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in Florida in 2012. “A lot of that is that people are channeling their energy into organizing locally, recognizing that in Trump’s America, our communities are under direct attack

In interviews, more than half a dozen leaders in the Black Lives Matter movement said that last year’s election prompted renewed focus on supporting other minority groups as well as amassing electoral power to fight an administration that has pledged to roll back Obama-era efforts to reshape policing practices with a Justice Department that is “the leading advocate for law enforcement in America,” as Attorney General Jeff Sessions has put it. Those leaders — who hail from various factions of the decentralized movement of individuals and organizations that have, at times, clashed — said the reality of Trump’s presidency has forced a reconsideration of strategy.

“There was a lot of regrouping that had to happen within our movement and on the broader left to really think strategically,” said Asha Rosa, the national organizing co-chair for the Black Youth Project 100.

The first major convening of young black activists during the Trump presidency came in April, when they met in Memphis for speeches, marches and workshops marking the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “Beyond Vietnam” speech. They were joined by representatives of organized labor, the “Fight for $15” minimum wage effort, and a smattering of immigrant-advocacy and Muslim-rights groups.

The Black Lives Matter network is now one of more than 50 groups that have christened themselves “The Majority,”a coalition of progressives working on social justice issues, including LGBT rights and Islamaphobia.

This makes more sense under the current administration. It's obvious that they won't listen to the protests, so drumming up some support for politicians to replace them sounds like a good plan.

fauxtrot

Banned
Hell yeah. Our local BLM chapter has been growing and changing in this way too; they are working with other local organizations (such as DSA) to try to change policy and get our piece of shit Sheriff out of his elected seat.

Derwind

I'm sure people are going to find a way to focus on the naming "Majority" rather than what it's advocating.

But this is an essential move, force the issue by making sure at a local level you get the right people elected.

That's reasonably smart - they've gone from having a potential ally in Eric Holder to a deadly enemy in Jeff Sessions, so appealing for national attention and therefore for Justice Department intervention/investigation of local police departments is no longer a viable strategy. That said, I think a two-pronged approach is smartest - policy *and* protest will be strongest (a great example of this is ACT UP's strategy during the AIDS crisis).

Now that you mention it, I guess it has been a while since Ive seen their protests in the news. This is good though, I imagine they can get a lot more done by moving in this direction especially after their protests have brought on so much awareness.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Very reasonable. Also it shows their evolution as an organizations. A lot of the staple large civil rights organizations origins are the same as black lives matters

Somnid

Good. I think this will produce better outcomes than their current strategies. White people won by stacking the government in their favor, the same an be done in many non-white communities.

That's reasonably smart - they've gone from having a potential ally in Eric Holder to a deadly enemy in Jeff Sessions, so appealing for national attention and therefore for Justice Department intervention/investigation of local police departments is no longer a viable strategy. That said, I think a two-pronged approach is smartest - policy *and* protest will be strongest (a great example of this is ACT UP's strategy during the AIDS crisis).
Yeah the protests provided some of the most powerful images of the decade. I think they should definitely still be organizing them so the names of black people killed by cops in 2017 don't become forgotten.

Game Guru

I'm sure people are going to find a way to focus on the naming "Majority" rather than what it's advocating.

But this is an essential move, force the issue by making sure at a local level you get the right people elected.

I don't see what's wrong with the name "The Majority" since the name implies the majority of people are supportive of social justice.

Good. Let's get some young fresh minds interested in shaping policy and hopefully running for office to get these fascists the fuck out of our communities. Yesterday's bullshit PR stunt by Trump and the GOP just goes to show how little they represent the diverse country we live in. Protests are never enough.

I would vote for them. Discounting the power of getting involved in the political process is exactly how so many lunatics have ended up in positions of power. The key is to become more involved, not disillusioned. Not to say there shouldn't also be protests.

Slayven

But the protests weren't getting through to people...

Nothing they could ever do would get through to some people. The fact people know who there are and they are part of the conversation they shows the protest accomplish something

I can't help but think that is does ultimately come to 2018 for significant pushback, but this has me wanting to find a local chapter and be involved.

More people worried about their property than the rights and lives of marginalized people. Cops day in and out are shown they can murder kids and walk scott-free. We need BLM more than ever now, so I wish them the best and hope this strategy pays off.

iiicon

But they were always about policy....

Yeah, it's such a weird way to frame this. To use just one example, if you wanted a crash course in something like restorative justice, one of the best places to do it would be with a local BLM chapter.

IrishNinja

Good. Let's get some young fresh minds interested in shaping policy and hopefully running for office to get these fascists the fuck out of our communities. Yesterday's bullshit PR stunt by Trump and the GOP just goes to show how little they represent the diverse country we live in. Protests are never enough.

cosigning all of this - just wish there was a closer chapter for me, but I'm getting more involved with the one the next city over cause whatever the game plan, I'm down - yesterday's fuckery was far too much

Slayven

Yeah, it's such a weird way to frame this. To use just one example, if you wanted a crash course in something like restorative justice, one of the best places to do it would be with a local BLM chapter.

Exactly, you find activists doing something somewhere every day. From tutoring, to voting registration, to community outreach, etc. But Nana Ruth being late to the bingo game is the only shit that gets headlines

People really think they were sitting around waiting to block a highway?

I wonder how much is this realizing "allies" are anything but.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Organize and let's vote all the GOP fuckers and trump the hell out.

tactically, they should also primary democrats who aren't representing them.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Protests do nothing, this is a needed change.

Top Bottom