• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Border Patrol Checkpoints Will Stay Open During Hurricane Harvey Evacuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimes

https://www.buzzfeed.com/adolfoflores/new-hurricane-harvey-danger-border-patrol-checkpoints
Immigrant advocates worried on Friday that the Border Patrol's decision to keep its immigration checkpoints open in southeast Texas would discourage undocumented immigrants from fleeing Hurricane Harvey for fear of deportation.

Motorists are asked if they are US citizens at the checkpoints. BuzzFeed News has previously reported that the checkpoints make undocumented immigrants feel trapped because they can’t cross them without risking being stopped, arrested, and deported. Some immigrants avoid crucial medical care because of the checkpoints.

Astrid Dominguez, a policy strategist for the ACLU of Texas, said that at a time of emergency, the Border Patrol should also prioritize the safety of everyone who lives in Texas.

“It is unconscionable that the Border Patrol is sending a dangerous, wrong message to our community by refusing to temporarily suspend immigration enforcement during an evacuation, as they did in 2016 and 2012," Dominguez said. "We call on CBP to put public safety first and ensure that, no matter their status, families who wish to leave the area can do so unimpeded.”

In a joint statement, Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement said they would not conduct routine noncriminal immigration enforcement operations at evacuation sites or assistance centers, like shelters or food banks. However, the agencies declined to clarify if this would include checkpoints as well.

"The Department's law enforcement components will be at the ready to help anyone in need of assistance. In evacuation or response, we are committed to making sure that we can assist local authorities quickly, safely, and efficiently," the agencies said. "The laws will not be suspended, and we will be vigilant against any effort by criminals to exploit disruptions caused by the storm."

Make me choose between drowning and deportation if old...

Koomaster

Wouldn't this also impede actual legal citizens trying to flee the storm if they have to stop at a checkpoint to present ID, and wait for others to present ID or whatever you're supposed to do at these things?

Koomaster

Dumb question. Why does an illegal immigrant need to pass through a border checkpoint to flee the hurricane? Can't they escape going inland?
If i understand, this isn't the border between Mexico/USA, it's just a checkpoint within the USA to determine if someone is here legally or not? I don't live anywhere close to the border where I've seen one of these things so maybe I'm wrong.

Dumb question. Why does an illegal immigrant need to pass through a border checkpoint to flee the hurricane? Can't they escape going inland?

These "checkpoints" are all over states that tend to bord mexico (CA, AZ, TX, etc)
Some are simply set up so your don't bring prohibited items from other states onto the one you reside (more of a health-food verification) but there are some that serve no other purpose than to check for contraband, and/or monitor illegal immigration (as the one in the picture, coming from san diego ca, located in san clemente)
-the food ones only ask if you're bringing any food,veggies, or bottled water from out of state
-the immigration ones ask for legal residence papers / citizenship proof (these checkpoints aren't even located in the border, but actually deep inside land)

2646822453_0dcea4ff9a_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom