• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie teases Destiny 2 codenamed ‘Frontiers’ for 2025

Draugoth

Gold Member

Bungie just concluded the long-running saga of the light and darkness in Destiny 2: The Final Shape earlier this month, and now the Halo and Destiny developer is teasing what’s next. In a “journey ahead” stream today, Bungie disclosed the first details on its plans for the rest of the year ahead with Destiny 2 and even teased a 2025 release for new content that’s codenamed “Frontiers.”

Until Frontiers arrives next year, Destiny 2 will continue with new episodes of story content that explore what’s happened after the conclusion of The Final Shape. Destiny 2 players have just battled The Witness in the latest expansion, the main antagonist of Destiny’s light and darkness saga, which has created what Bungie is calling echoes throughout the universe.

Source

DeaDPo0L84

Final Shape proved that they can still create really good content. I get that there are people who are burnt out or simply refuse to give them another chance, totally respect that. But for those still invested and playing the future looks really bright. That's also coming off potentially one of the worst DLC releases in Lightfall. As someone who has been playing since the D1 beta, I have aired my frustrations throughout the years and also given credit when it's due, and will continue to do so going forward.

Raven117

Gold Member
Final Shape proved that they can still create really good content. I get that there are people who are burnt out or simply refuse to give them another chance, totally respect that. But for those still invested and playing the future looks really bright. That's also coming off potentially one of the worst DLC releases in Lightfall. As someone who has been playing since the D1 beta, I have aired my frustrations throughout the years and also given credit when it's due, and will continue to do so going forward.
Clearly they put one of their better teams on The Final Shape. (Thematically, it felt more akin to Witch Queen, Shadowkeep) than it did to Beyond Light/Lightfall. (Lightfall was flat out terrible).

But yes, Bungie proved that when the focus and put some of their real talent on a project, then can still deliver a great experience. TFS is the best narrative they have ever done.

clarky

Gold Member
I’d like them to reboot Destiny’s structure, re-think how convoluted it is, and make the expansion process more streamlined for newcomers
Yeah deffinately needs a reset at this point. I've returned to play the Final shape and while the expansion is great, the returning experience is not.

I think they will just keep it ticking along until the Inevitable D3.

Lokaum D+

They Have one of the biggest live service games on the planet. This expansion is doing gang buster numbers, i think Sony will be fairly happy with that.
sadly i m not a share holder, so i dont give a fuck

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

This. This right here is exactly why I refuse to jump in.
They would have to radically change this like they did for "vaulting" content.
I don't see this happening because this is at a foundational level where the game is actively pushing you away if you don't long in for a long period of time.

Last edited:

LordCBH

2t1D1Wg.jpeg

Me right now.

tmlDan

sadly i m not a share holder, so i dont give a fuck
True, when 300k people on PC alone are trying to play a new expansion, it gets glowing praise from the entire community, has the best raid ever created by Bungie, the Best story end, it's def a shareholder point of view.

Like wtf are you saying.

ultrazilla

Just some quick random bullet points I'll throw out there. Started playing back during the Destiny 1 alpha days so I've been around since the beginning.

-I still think there's a negative mojo attached to the name "Destiny 2". Don't think numbers make sense at this point and they need to just embrace "Destiny" as the title going forward. More on that in a bit.

-Bungie needs to give us a Destiny experience with all new Guardians, locations, enemies, flyable ships, etc. I'm tired of reskins and being sold vaulted content again and again. I mean
they just announced going back to the Dreadnaught today. Big deal, we've already been there, done that. Bungie is just slapping some fresh re-skins on the levels and recycling the content
over and over again. I wasn't impressed with anything they showed today.

-My pitch? A remastered/rebooted Unreal Engine 5 Destiny 1 made for PC and current gen systems(PC never got Destiny 1). Then going forward, attach the codenames to it like "Destiny: Frontiers"

-I'd like to see scarier enemies and more graphic content, I think gibbing ala blowing off legs, arms, claws, appendages etc would fit in nicely with the game. Since we're always took to see what kinda neat features
the weapons/loot can do, what better way to test out a sniper rifle that rips off arms in one shot for example.

-Consider giving our "pets" the Ghosts more to do than just scanning/hacking things. Make them combat ready. They can engage enemies, if you're down they can revive you, they can capture points/specific areas, they can go on recon, etc.

-Hopefully "Frontiers" is indeed the "Destiny 3" many of us are clamoring for.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Yeah honestly I’m bummed about not experiencing the final shape

I want to, but the hoops you have to go through is just a mess
What hoops? You log in, all your gears is boosted automatically, you select the campaign, it plays a short video catching you up on the bullet points, and then you're off.

What hoops? You log in, all your gears is boosted automatically, you select the campaign, it plays a short video catching you up on the bullet points, and then you're off.

Biggest issue right now is they need to stop removing seasonal story content when they're so integral to the overarching narrative. You've lost so much not playing the previous seasons before Final Shape

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Biggest issue right now is they need to stop removing seasonal story content when they're so integral to the overarching narrative. You've lost so much not playing the previous seasons before Final Shape
I don't disagree, but if you simply wanted to enjoy the FS with some base level knowledge on what is going on, a person can do that. Also not every live service game keeps every single piece of content in the game so someone can jump in 10 years later and replay it all, that's simply not feasible. I don't think Bungie did it out of spite for new players, it's more than likely a console issue when it comes to space, so they have to make cuts to fit in new content.

All that said hopefully when a reboot happens they have a better way of handling all these things, ditching last gen consoles will help pretty dramatically.

Last edited:

Bond007

I don't disagree, but if you simply wanted to enjoy the FS with some base level knowledge on what is going on, a person can do that. Also not every live service game keeps every single piece of content in the game so someone can jump in 10 years later and replay it all, that's simply not feasible. I don't think Bungie did it out of spite for new players, it's more than likely a console issue when it comes to space, so they have to make cuts to fit in new content.

All that said hopefully when a reboot happens they have a better way of handling all these things, ditching last gen consoles will help pretty dramatically.

It is feasible- ive done it countless times with many older MMOs. Final Fantasy Online for starts. Both of em.
It really boils down as an insult to all the time put into the game grinding for it to be made worthless later. My biggest gripe with Destiny after all my years playing is the absolute lack of respect for my time and effort put into the game.
Making old builds useless with every update- to removing things.

That being said- the game is great. The memories i hold across Destiny 1 and 2 are mostly some of the best in my gaming career.

Top Bottom