• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Cheater Provider to pay $14 million to Activision

Schmendrick

I´m all for cracking down on those guys trying to make a living off of ruining other people`s fun.
Buttfuck them with an Ananas for all I care.

RhyDin

Hot take, I guess, but I'm not a fan of these deterrence rulings where they make an example out of the person. At the end of the day this isn't going to do anything to stop other cheaters and this is an absurd life ruining figure. Maybe invest in better anti-cheat if they're going to continue being one of (or the?) highest grossing FPS franchise.

splattered

Fuck yeah keep this train rolling till no one wants to make cheat sw and devices anymore. Burn it all to the mf ground!

Good, cheating is bullshit and just ruins the fun for everyone else. Now if they could just make CoD fun again, that would be awesome.

soulbait

Hot take, I guess, but I'm not a fan of these deterrence rulings where they make an example out of the person. At the end of the day this isn't going to do anything to stop other cheaters and this is an absurd life ruining figure. Maybe invest in better anti-cheat if they're going to continue being one of (or the?) highest grossing FPS franchise.

It is suing a business that was selling methods for cheating. They did not make an example out of single person cheating. This was someone making money off of their game, by providing ways for people to cheat. Big difference.

LordCBH

this is an absurd life ruining figure.

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

clarky

Gold Member
Not so much a hot take, more of an absurd one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The threat of a $14 million fine will do plenty.

FeralEcho

Hey it's almost half of Bobby Koticks salary per month at Activision...

In other words,while cheaters can fuck off so can Activision.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Good.

I have 0 tolerance for cheating in any game. All of these companies should be outlawed.

Sushi_Combo

"For the last weeks we have been working to identify the latest detection vector and to increase the overall security of our MW3 cheat. We aim to release a test version shortly after the Call of Duty Season 4 release. The cheat will remain in the "Unknown" status for some time so we can make sure there will be no unforeseen issues. Please understand that only after a successful test period we will provide more detailed insights about the detection.
All subs will stay frozen until the status is back to undetected. All users with a paid MW3/WZ sub will be able to use the cheat while its on the unknown status.

There has been a lot of false claims regarding the lawsuit against EngineOwning. All the guys targeted in the lawsuit are inactive and have been for a long time. The project was handed over to a new owner years ago.
Some news article claim that Activision got access to the data of our users. This is completely false and to no surprise those news articles don’t link any kind of source.
All relevant documents regarding the lawsuit are publicly available if you want to look it up yourself.

Now Activision is trying to claim our engineowning.to domain. We have created backup domains (listed below) and kindly ask you to bookmark them.
We hope and think that our domain registrar will not defer to this bogus claim, that would not have been approved by any clearheaded judge with even basic democratic values in a proper jurisdiction.
No matter what happens, the data of our users will always be safe. Privacy has always been a top priority for everyone in our team.

We have also decided to work on a free lite version of our MW3/WZ cheat with full ESP once the paid cheat is back to undetected."

Griffon

What is this shit?! Just sue people who aren't based in the US so that you can get default ruling precedents and ruin the whole system against modding?

What a fucking joke. And to the surprise of no one, most countries don't extradite their nationals to the US. I wonder why...

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
What is this shit?! Just sue people who aren't based in the US so that you can get default ruling precedents and ruin the whole system against modding?

What a fucking joke. And to the surprise of no one, most countries don't extradite their nationals to the US. I wonder why...
This is a civil matter so nobody would be extradited anyway.

willothedog

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Fabieter

EngineOwning is not a US based Business, good luck enforcing a civil case outside the US.

The fact that it's a default judgement means that EngineOwning didn't even show up or respond in anyway during court, its meaningless.

What? There dozens of non American companys getting sued every year.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Wow, 14 million is no laughing matter.
This should put some psychological fear on the cheaters at least.
It won’t since they don’t get punished what should happen is activision sue them individually for money made from YouTube / socials where they profited from cheating to boost their “clout” this might slow them down but a provider won’t stop anymoe they will just move to a new one and use a vpn… but I’m glad someone’s getting it in the ass

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
While I totally understand the impulse to celebrate something that cuts against cheaters, I think the precedent is a little concerning for it's potential application to things like mods. I haven't read the full decision, so who knows, but I suspect there's potential for this to be weaponized by publishers.

Stuart360

Has anyone ever watched that guy on Youtube who exposes cheaters?, he doesnt show his face, and his voice is like text to speak voice?. It actually blew me away how many big name streamers are cheating in games, nevermind the general public.

I dont get it myself, i wouldnt get anyting out of cheating in a MP game myself. Sure i have used trainers and stuff in single player games, but i woudl never do it in a MP game, it seems pointless to me.

Has anyone ever watched that guy on Youtube who exposes cheaters?, he doesnt show his face, and his voice is like text to speak voice?. It actually blew me away how many big name streamers are cheating in games, nevermind the general public.

I dont get it myself, i wouldnt get anyting out of cheating in a MP game myself. Sure i have used trainers and stuff in single player games, but i woudl never do it in a MP game, it seems pointless to me.

This one?

Top Bottom