• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada deported hundreds to war-torn countries: government data (Reuters)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-torn-countries-government-data-idUSKCN1BL0VB

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canada has deported hundreds of people to countries designated too dangerous for civilians, with more than half of those people being sent back to Iraq, according to government data obtained by Reuters.

The spike in deportations comes as Canada faces a record number of migrants and is on track to have the most refugee claims in more than a decade. That has left the country scrambling to cope with the influx of asylum seekers, many crossing the U.S. border illegally.

et tu Trudeau?

I don't think its that the Canadian doesn't want to take these people in, its just they don't have the resources to process so many refugee claims.

You can't just accept every person, countries will collapse. There has to be a legal process of immigration. There are people waiting to get accepted for legal immigration.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The United Nations’ High Commission on Refugees recommends states refrain from deporting people to Iraq because of the human rights situation and the conflict there, said Jean-Nicholas Beuze, the organization’s Canadian representative. But some regions, such as Kurdistan, are safer, he added.

“The responsibility is on the state sending people back to those countries to make sure ... that those people will not become internally displaced within their own country and dependent on humanitarian aid,” Beuze said.

Not sure what the alternative is. Are they suggesting they have literally no upper limit for acceptance from certain countries? It's not like they send them to other nations do they

Oppo

Millions? No way.

my understanding is that it is about a quarter million per year, on immigration. not sure about refugees.

edit - quick google, 47k refugees admitted in 2016, which is the highest level in many decades

jimmypython

I don't think its that the Canadian doesn't want to take these people in, its just they don't have the resources to process so many refugee claims.

Canadian career bureaucrats and gov employees are so much worse than their US counterparts when it comes to efficiency. Thanks to Harper, who refused to hire professionals with reasonable career prospect, they are inexperienced and lazy (because there is no reason to be motivated).

Harper government also went with "we are going to cut the backlog by cancelling their cases" route for immigration, instead of solving the real problems.

Futureman

ah yea I'm way off. US is around 1,000,000 legal immigrants per year. Canada about a 1/4 of that.

but this is about refugees anyways.

ah yea I'm way off. US is around 1,000,000 legal immigrants per year. Canada about a 1/4 of that.

but this is about refugees anyways.

I think most are Haitian, as their temporary status (due to the earthquake) in the US is ending in a couple months. They think that if they go to Canada, they won't have to return to Haiti.

It's unfortunate since Canada's own program ended in 2016, and they are most likely going to be deported anyway.

scamander

Banned
You can't just accept every person, countries will collapse. There has to be a legal process of immigration. There are people waiting to get accepted for legal immigration.

Not sure what the alternative is. Are they suggesting they have literally no upper limit for acceptance from certain countries? It's not like they send them to other nations do they

This is not about immigrants, it's about refugees. Are you honestly proposing a limit for how many refugees can come to flee a war-torn country? "Sorry, can't handle more than 50k. Hope u don't die, though xoxo".

my understanding is that it is about a quarter million per year, on immigration. not sure about refugees.

edit - quick google, 47k refugees admitted in 2016, which is the highest level in many decades

Well i mean it says right there in the OP that they're taking in refugees in record numbers not seen in over a decade.

50k is the highest level in decades? lmao, poor Canada. :'(

Oppo

This is not about immigrants, it's about refugees. Are you honestly proposing a limit for how many refugees can come to flee a war-torn country? "Sorry, can't handle more than 50,000 tsd. Hope u don't die, though xoxo".
every single country on earth has such limits.

Hycran

Banned
This is not about immigrants, it's about refugees. Are you honestly proposing a limit for how many refugees can come to flee a war-torn country? "Sorry, can't handle more than 50k. Hope u don't die, though xoxo".

The dominant Canadian sentiment right now is that there are, in fact, too many people trying to immigrate here, refugees or not. We take in more than our fair share and it's absurd to think that a country like Canada doesn't need to somewhat cap how many people come to our country, refugee or not. I guess you live in a magical world where infrastructure, social programs and jobs magically create themselves to help these poor souls, with no negative effect on the people who actually live here.
50k is the highest level in decades? lmao, poor Canada. :'(

Canada takes in approximately 250k people per year. For a country with 36M, that's pretty reasonable.

Pedrito

There's a procedure called pre-removal risk assesment. If you're at risk of persecution, you're not sent back.
Either these people decided not to file a request, or it was rejected because the area they would return to is deemed safe. That would be the case for Kurdistan, as example.

not all claimants get accepted.
hundreds is not many out of 10s of thousands

it's not wet foot, dry land policy. not everyone can get accepted.

18-Volt

every single country on earth has such limits.

We'll see about that. Turkey has over 8 million refugees right now from different countries (3,5 million of them alone are from Syria) and it's in a middle of severe economic crisis. The government wants to take even more, especially muslims from Burma. It's pretty much impossible for a poor country like Turkey survive such burden and the country is dying a little more each day financially thanks to poor decisions of Erdogan.

Canadian career bureaucrats and gov employees are so much worse than their US counterparts when it comes to efficiency. Thanks to Harper, who refused to hire professionals with reasonable career prospect, they are inexperienced and lazy (because there is no reason to be motivated). *

Harper government also went with "we are going to cut the backlog by cancelling their cases" route for immigration, instead of solving the real problems.

* citation needed

Honestly, as a long-serving Canadian public servant, this kind of bullshit really pisses me off. It is flat-out crap.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This is not about immigrants, it's about refugees. Are you honestly proposing a limit for how many refugees can come to flee a war-torn country? "Sorry, can't handle more than 50k. Hope u don't die, though xoxo:'(

A country can't keep taking in an unlimited amount of people.

most illegals to Italy are not form Iraq but from Africa, mostly economic migrants, not war refugees.

I know that. But the point that was made was that Canada can't deal with all these immigrants and no country could and therefore it has to send some back, even to war torn countries, like Iraq. Italy is also dealing with a similar influx of migrants, many of which are economic migrants, as is the case with Canada, but also Afghans, Syrians and Iraqis. Does Italy send these refugees back?

The rebuttal is essentially that it does not matter how many migrants you have, if someone from a war torn country arrives, they need to be given shelter.

The other argument, that they were being sent back to non-dangerous areas, like Kurdistan, is a better one.

Hycran

Banned
* citation needed

Honestly, as a long-serving Canadian public servant, this kind of bullshit really pisses me off. It is flat-out crap.

I'm on a temporary contract that technically makes me a government employee and I've already been astounded by how so many people can do so much with so little. The average rank and file government employee should have at least a 50% increase in resources available or people hired in order to reach the kind of efficiency they are capable of.

Leader of the free world lmao

Given a choice between him, Trump and Theresa May I know who I'd pick...

re: the OP, we're talking about fewer than 250 people here - out of about one million refugees and immigrants - and this headline means nothing without breaking down the demographics and giving us specifics of how many were deported where and when... and why... As is clearly stated in the article, ”Everyone ordered removed from Canada is entitled to due process before the law, and all removal orders are subject to various levels of appeal." Our courts hear appeals on these issues every week, and our judges tend very strongly to err on the side of caution in these matters, so I'm not overly concerned. Ultimately, we no more accept refugee or immigration claimants with criminal or terrorist ties than any other country...

kswiston

I know that. But the point that was made was that Canada can't deal with all these immigrants and no country could and therefore it has to send some back, even to war torn countries, like Iraq. Italy is also dealing with a similar influx of migrants, many of which are economic migrants, as is the case with Canada, but also Afghans, Syrians and Iraqis. Does Italy send these refugees back?

The rebuttal is essentially that it does not matter how many migrants you have, if someone from a war torn country arrives, they need to be given shelter.

The other argument, that they were being sent back to non-dangerous areas, like Kurdistan, is a better one.

They are deporting 1 in several hundred (if not thousand) refugees. Getting rid of a couple hundred people is statistical noise as far as the economy is concerned. People are getting sent back for various reasons, including criminal activity. If it was a matter of having no more room for refugees, Canada wouldn't continue to accept refugees (which they do).

They are deporting 1 in several hundred (if not thousand) refugees. Getting rid of a couple hundred people is statistical noise as far as the economy is concerned. People are getting sent back for various reasons, including criminal activity. If it was a matter of having no more room for refugees, Canada wouldn't continue to accept refugees (which they do).

Aye, no argument with that.

They don't just look at country, but also where you are from in that country. Some areas in Iraq and Afghanistan are deemed safer for return then others. Every country does this.

"Hundreds" is such a tiny number. Don't they take in millions per year?

No, and it doesn't matter that it's just "hundreds".

You don't deport people into countries that are deemed too dangerous for civilians.

They don't just look at country, but also where you are from in that country. Some areas in Iraq and Afghanistan are deemed safer for return then others. Every country does this.

Source that Canada appropriately did that in this case?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Not everyone claiming refugee status, even from war torn nations, get accepted as refugees. If someone is in a position where they would not be in danger - ie, a majority ethnicity in a country where minorities are killed, they would not necessarily be taken in (it depends on other factors as well) - where a minority from that country would most likely be taken in.

I don't think these deportations have anything to do with exceeding quotas, but everything to do with not meeting the criteria of a refugee.

Source that they didn't? It's not in the Reuters article, but I am assuming they have guidelines and laws for this.

You guys have no idea the work involved in deporting someone from Canada... Hell, it took us 10 years of court cases and appeals to authorize the extradition of two Indian citizens (landed immigrants) who have an outstanding warrant for their arrest in India for murder (apparent "honour killing"), and that case is not atypical. Even under Harper and the Conservative government (that famously refused to protect Omar Khadr), we weren't just deporting people willy nilly... These are likely people with significant ties to governments with known human rights abuses, terrorist organizations, or serious criminal records. They aren't shipping families with small children back to Syria.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Reuters summary here offers too little information to draw many conclusions, if any. I am surprised they would Access to Information the data and not make available the full response.

Top Bottom