• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CATS: A Furry Movie 🙀😳

:messenger_loudly_crying:

We've made it brap brap we Hollywood now

23c5ccfd20ee0d5a96b4761c15733269b930c243_hq.jpg

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I’m not sure why they’re going the cgi route. This movie does NOT need it. People in car costumes with cgi touch ups would have been miles better. Fans of the musical (I am not one) would be used to costumes anyway.

Oh well. The soundtrack will be lit at least... maybe.

GreyHorace

So, rather than subject myself to a mindfuck by watching this movie, I instead watched Lindsay Ellis' informative video on the history of the CATS musical and why the movie is such a shitty adaptation. I've never watched the show itself so it's nice to know why it was such a big deal in the first place.

To be frank, I think Lindsay's a cunt for the way she and her fellow Channel Awesome alums turned their back on Doug Walker (even though she got her big break because of him) and how she's become a raging SJW in recent years. But on the subject of musical theater her knowledge is vast and her presentation is quite informative. Her video on RENT was also pretty good.

Apparently this is one of the biggest disasters in years. Crazy that they actually re-released a version with better CGI within weeks of initial release.

Who thought this was a good idea? It sounds like a horrible movie

GreyHorace

Apparently this is one of the biggest disasters in years. Crazy that they actually re-released a version with better CGI within weeks of initial release.

Who thought this was a good idea? It sounds like a horrible movie

As Lindsay says in the video, popular musical + director Tom Hopper = Oscar bait movie. It worked for Les Miserables, not so much here. Mainly because Hopper insisted on injecting 'realism' into what is supposed to be fantastical theater experience. The fact that his 'realistic' sensibilities was at odds with the material led to a whole host of problems. He was the worst choice to direct CATS.

Doug Walker deserved to be turned on. He's a shit piece. Channel Awesome was a flaming mess.

I've no doubt Doug's partly to blame for the fallout with Channel Awesome. That said, I still think Lindsay's a two faced bitch for changing her tune regarding him. Just a few years ago she was heaping praise on Doug for what a nice guy he was. Now she suddenly decides to bury him along with her fellow defectors? Talk about a lack of gratitude for the guy who gave her her big break.

Nah. Fuck her.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol Doug Walker gives you your "big break" (cos it's so rare to find MOVIE REVIEWS ON THE INTERNET) loooool

"O LET ME PROSTRATE MYSELF BEFORE YOU O GREAT ONE YOU WHO HAVE THE BRILLIANT IDEA TO MAKE MOVIE REIVEWS ON THE INTERNET"

who the fuck cares if he "gave her" her big break? and fuck no it doesn't make her a "two faced bitch" considering the fact that everyone on that channel abandoned this dickweed. so what, he put her videos on his site, lol does that mean she needs to stan him for the rest of time? what a weird demand. if anything her videos were the best thing to happen to his channel. she made her videos herself, and they were far better and more substantial than his. the second she started, it was clear she was better at doing them than he was. if anything she kept HIM relevant. it's why she is parlayed it into a real actual career while he is just doing the same old hackneyed skit-filled "reviews" that apparently only appeal to frustrated message board lunatics.

at any rate i did watch her "Cats" thing last night. i've been real curious about watching that disaster but feel like Lindsay's deep dive was more than enough. i really enjoyed her conclusion, that it's a giant monument to Hollywood hubris, and deserves to crash and burn.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

lol Doug Walker gives you your "big break" (cos it's so rare to find MOVIE REVIEWS ON THE INTERNET) loooool

"O LET ME PROSTRATE MYSELF BEFORE YOU O GREAT ONE YOU WHO HAVE THE BRILLIANT IDEA TO MAKE MOVIE REIVEWS ON THE INTERNET"

who the fuck cares if he "gave her" her big break? and fuck no it doesn't make her a "two faced bitch" considering the fact that everyone on that channel abandoned this dickweed. so what, he put her videos on his site, lol does that mean she needs to stan him for the rest of time? what a weird demand. if anything her videos were the best thing to happen to his channel. she made her videos herself, and they were far better and more substantial than his. the second she started, it was clear she was better at doing them than he was. if anything she kept HIM relevant. it's why she is parlayed it into a real actual career while he is just doing the same old hackneyed skit-filled "reviews" that apparently only appeal to frustrated message board lunatics.

at any rate i did watch her "Cats" thing last night. i've been real curious about watching that disaster but feel like Lindsay's deep dive was more than enough. i really enjoyed her conclusion, that it's a giant monument to Hollywood hubris, and deserves to crash and burn.
Real actual career? I’m sorry what is she doing. Making commentary videos on YouTube?

and actually yeah if I was Lindsay, or any CA contributor I would appreciate Doug. Doug figured out how to manipulate that current version of the algorithm to maximize eyeballs for him, at a time when a lot of people didn’t know how to do that.

she praised Doug for years, an as soon as public opinion turned she shanked him. She is a opportunistic cunt, but whatever. It is what it is.

as for the movie, ehh... no one thought it would work, and It only had a chance financially as counter programming to Star Wars

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I never said she should stan Doug for all time, but I still think it was two faced of her to slam on the guy she was praising before. She could have kept silent and supported the ChangetheChannel nutters from the sidelines. I mean, recently James Rolfe announced on his Cinemassacre website that they wouldn't be doing anymore collaborations with Channel Awesome. That implies there's been some falling out between James and Doug, but thankfully James has kept such details private. Whereas Lindsay is more than happy to share what a scumbag Doug is online.

And no, I'm not absolving Doug of any wrongdoing. He, and his brother Rob especially, come off as pretty full of themselves and I'm not surprised that the other producers at Channel Awesome had problems with them. And I definitely agree that Lindsay was way better at producing video reviews than Doug. I can barely watch Doug's videos now and it's pretty obvious he's got no deep insight into film that would make his reviews even remotely interesting. He's just a failed standup comic at this point.

The whole situation with Channel Awesome was a shitshow, but it's a topic for another thread. Like O oagboghi2 said, it is what it is.

Real actual career? I’m sorry what is she doing. Making commentary videos on YouTube?

and actually yeah if I was Lindsay, or any CA contributor I would appreciate Doug. Doug figured out how to manipulate that current version of the algorithm to maximize eyeballs for him, at a time when a lot of people didn’t know how to do that.

she praised Doug for years, an as soon as public opinion turned she shanked him. She is a opportunistic cunt, but whatever. It is what it is.

as for the movie, ehh... no one thought it would work, and It only had a chance financially as counter programming to Star Wars

Ellis and Lupa (along with their shared friend Holly Brown) knew about JewWario being an actual rapist and they covered it up for years because it would tarnish their reputation by proximity. They never even revealed it - it get let out because Mike Michaud is a fucking retard who didn't understand that words need to be full redacted to be unreadable.

On the other hand, Ellis, Lupa, and Holly went along with pressuring CA to get rid of Spoony over some edgy rape joke, which without a doubt contributed to him collapsing as a person. Not that he probably would not have fallen apart eventually, because almost all the CA people are egotistical lunatics who got high off of having a little bit of success, but they did set out to ruin him over a joke while protecting a real rapist for the sake of their "careers".

And considering Mrs. Slapped in the Face by Hotdogs wrote a comedic "rape rap" video that she desperately tried to hide:

she is just a massive hypocritical cunt.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
Ellis and Lupa (along with their shared friend Holly Brown) knew about JewWario being an actual rapist and they covered it up for years because it would tarnish their reputation by proximity. They never even revealed it - it get let out because Mike Michaud is a fucking retard who didn't understand that words need to be full redacted to be unreadable.

On the other hand, Ellis, Lupa, and Holly went along with pressuring CA to get rid of Spoony over some edgy rape joke, which without a doubt contributed to him collapsing as a person. Not that he probably would not have fallen apart eventually, because almost all the CA people are egotistical lunatics who got high off of having a little bit of success, but they did set out to ruin him over a joke while protecting a real rapist for the sake of their "careers".

And considering Mrs. Slapped in the Face by Hotdogs wrote a comedic "rape rap" video that she desperately tried to hide:

she is just a massive hypocritical cunt.

CA?

Channel Awesome/TheGuyWithTheGlasses

Runaway Appalachian Lindsey Ellis/Nostalgia Chick, trailer park stalker Allison Pregler/Obscuras Lupa, and permanent sadbrain Noah Antwiler/Spoony were content creators for the site, making (between them) entertaining to abysmal critic reviews and nerd content. Mike Michaud, along with the Walker brothers Doug/Nostalgia Critic and Rob/Fredo, managed the site. JewWario also was a content creator until he got canned for getting caught fingering one of his sleeping coworkers at one of their cons, but the rape was covered up.

Pointless, obviously, but I love internet drama.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
As Lindsay says in the video, popular musical + director Tom Hopper = Oscar bait movie. It worked for Les Miserables, not so much here. Mainly because Hopper insisted on injecting 'realism' into what is supposed to be fantastical theater experience. The fact that his 'realistic' sensibilities was at odds with the material led to a whole host of problems. He was the worst choice to direct CATS.

Do people actually like Cats the musical though? I always felt it was a thing people went to see because it was advertised to hell and back on daytime TV and once they got to NYC it was all they heard of.

Les Mis has at least some iconic songs and what not, although the movie was pretty awful.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Do people actually like Cats the musical though? I always felt it was a thing people went to see because it was advertised to hell and back on daytime TV and once they got to NYC it was all they heard of.

Les Mis has at least some iconic songs and what not, although the movie was pretty awful.

I've no opinion on CATS the Musical since I've never seen it. But I've seen many people throughout the years make fun of it as being terrible. As for iconic songs, well there's Memory, which became a hit as a cover for artists like Barry Manilow and Babara Streisand.

As for iconic songs, well there's Memory, which became a hit as a cover for artists like Barry Manilow and Babara Streisand.
That song is the only thing I ever knew about Cats.
There was an incredibly huge hype about that musical when I was a little boy when it was released, with that song playing everywhere.

I had a quick look into the Cats movie for a laugh last weekend with a friend, and it's even more horrible than I thought it would be.
I have to admit though, the main actress (and only her) looks super cute in that attire.
And I don't have any boner for furry stuff usually.

Top Bottom