• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Activates World’s Largest Floating Solar Power Plant

The largest floating solar power plant in the world is officially in operation. Located in the city of Huainan in the Anhui province in China, the system has a power output capacity of 40 megawatts, which isn’t huge by today’s standards, but was just a decade ago.

Floating solar farms have several advantages, not the least of which is they don’t use up valuable land in densely populated areas. China has over 100 cities with populations of more than 1 million. The US, by comparison, has 10.
There is more in the like, but this is pretty amazing.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/26/china-activates-worlds-largest-floating-solar-power-plant/

Long as someone is attempting to save the world. We don't deserve to be the premiere super power at this point.

i'd say if the GOP keep tugging the party before country line, that the usa should be classified as a 3rd world country

education is awful
healthcare is awful
obesity is pretty bad
gun control is bad
the politics in washington corrupt as fuck

etc

Eccocid

Ok, maybe it's dumb question but isn't big area of solar panel is also bad for environment? Doesn't it absorb too much heat and increasing the temperature of the area? Like cities? I am talking about big areas covered with panels tho (but they usually use them in remote deserted places tho so i guess it's ok?)

Human_me

Picture for the lazy:
China-Floating-Solar-Plant-Sungrow.jpg

Its pretty cool.
If it succeeds I hope other nations start doing the same.

4Tran

Ok, maybe it's dumb question but isn't big area of solar panel is also bad for environment? Doesn't it absorb too much heat and increasing the temperature of the area? Like cities? I am talking about big areas covered with panels tho (but they usually use them in remote deserted places tho so i guess it's ok?)
They produce some heat, but solar energy is going to produce less waste heat than coal or natural gas, so if the solar energy replaces these other sources it's going to be a net benefit.

Cool looking stuff.

Given how large China is I'm surprised this makes sense. I'd think there would be uninhabited desert regions suitable for solar farms that don't have to worry about sinking. Same is true for the USA (heck, we couldn't even get Cape Wind built because rich Democrats and Republicans teamed up to save their ocean views).

Gallbaro

Banned
I highly doubt we will get something like this anytime soon. The closest I could think of are the off-shore wind farms that are being made on the East coast.

We can try and do our part at the state or local level.
Lol, remember Ted Kennedy blocking it because it would ruin views.

4Tran

Cool looking stuff.

Given how large China is I'm surprised this makes sense. I'd think there would be uninhabited desert regions suitable for solar farms that don't have to worry about sinking. Same is true for the USA (heck, we couldn't even get Cape Wind built because rich Democrats and Republicans teamed up to save their ocean views).
The problem is that those empty areas are pretty far from the cities that need the power. The areas surrounding the cities tend to be heavily built up, so systems like this make more sense.

Holy cow. You might want to check China's environmental record before making statements like that.
Projects like this are popular in China partly because of their pollution problems. Realistically, those problems tend to be quite solvable if enough effort is committed to addressing them. Remember that Tokyo was one of the most polluted cities in the world in the '70s and '80s.

akira28

Long as someone is attempting to save the world. We don't deserve to be the premiere super power at this point.

Hey, if China's got heat and they want to step up, I say do it. USA's not really about that life right now. The world we live in, in this life doesn't matter as much as the one they hope exists in the afterlife.

Top Bottom