• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese censors clamp down on Winnie the Pooh

Shiggy

Has Winnie the Pooh done something to anger China’s censors? Some mentions of the lovable but dimwitted bear with a weakness for “hunny” have been blocked on Chinese social networks.

Authorities did not explain the clampdown, but the self-described “bear of very little brain” has been used in the past in a meme comparing him to portly Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Posts bearing the image and the Chinese characters for Winnie the Pooh were still permitted on the Twitter-like Weibo platform Monday.

But comments referencing “Little Bear Winnie” — Pooh’s Chinese name — turned up error messages saying the user could not proceed because “this content is illegal.”

Winnie the Pooh stickers have also been removed from WeChat’s official “sticker gallery,” but user-generated gifs of the bear are still available on the popular messaging app.

Comparisons between Xi and Pooh first emerged in 2013, after Chinese social media users began circulating a pair of pictures that placed an image of Pooh and his slender tiger friend “Tigger” beside a photograph of Xi walking with then-US President Barack Obama.

The ruling Communist Party is highly sensitive to comical depictions of its leader, particularly as Xi attempts to consolidate power ahead of a key party congress later this year.

BMcGPFvCIAAHVKh

Screen-Shot-2017-07-17-at-3.03.45-pm.png

B2FOhOuCQAAlv2X
B2FOhV3CcAAd_Gl

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/07/17/content-illegal-chinese-censors-clamp-winnie-pooh/

Pooh, burn!

But I like Winnie the pooh

Also wouldn't people just go ahead and use another fictional character?

They will. I still dont get what chinese censorship is even for. If something is censored, it will be shared more and more on chinese social media.

Its like trying to kill a Hydra. It doesnt work. You censor 1000 accounts, but at that time 100.000 already shared it, you try to catch up, it gets bigger and bigger.

Munti

If 100 acre wood should appear again in kh3, would that mean that the game can't be released / would be heavy censored there?

EGM1966

While I'm obviously against censorship like this at all this does seem particularly odd and left field even for Chinese censorship.

I wonder if the censors just get bored sometimes and go for something random.

Amalthea

Banned
It's not like it's even an insulting comparison. I mean, Winnie the Pooh is adorable. Who doesn't love him?
Authoritarian leaders always have severe self-esteem issues. Otherwise they wouldn't have to rule whole countries with a thight fist to feel somewhat secure.

I have never heard of Winnie the poop being used for Xi. "Bun" is used alot. "Dead Face" sometimes. I call him "Bun Bun" or "Big Boss".

Liu was referred to as the "nameless dynamite award winner."

Top Bottom