• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial Windows PC Feature "Recall" Being Delayed

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Microsoft is planning to launch its new Copilot Plus PCs next week without its controversial Recall feature that screenshots everything you do on these new laptops. The software maker is holding back Recall so it can test it with the Windows Insider program, after originally promising to ship Recall as an opt-in feature with additional security improvements.

“We are adjusting the release model for Recall to leverage the expertise of the Windows Insider community to ensure the experience meets our high standards for quality and security,” says Microsoft in an updated blog post. “When Recall (preview) becomes available in the Windows Insider Program, we will publish a blog post with details on how to get the preview.”

This means that Recall won’t even be available initially to Windows Insiders or anyone who buys a Copilot Plus PC. I wrote in Notepad earlier today that Windows engineers were scrambling to get the security improvements tested and implemented in time for the June 18th launch date of Copilot Plus PCs. Now, Microsoft is essentially admitting here that it needs more time to test Recall’s security improvements.

Bry0

Recall and the marketing and this security hole fiasco has been a disaster. Honestly the Apple AI announcements feel like they sucked all the air out of the room and MS is left gasping. Their integration makes copilot look clunky.

feynoob

Gold Member
Worst feature ever
mean kill it GIF by Karl Jahnke

diffusionx

Gold Member
Compare how Microsoft announced this feature vs. how Apple announced all their new AI features. It's just night and day and shows there is still a huge difference in these two companies top to bottom.

Skifi28

They made the mistake of explaining how it works. Rest assured that won't happen in the next iteration.

Neon Xenon

Every time Microsoft attempts to push some new feature that really doesn't seem necessary, the very first reaction I have is: "How do I turn this shit off?"

“We are adjusting the release model for Recall to leverage the expertise of the Windows Insider community to ensure the experience meets our high standards for quality and security,”

The "high standards for quality and security" that led to the databases being stored in (everyone's favorite cybersecurity punchline) unencrypted plain text? This was discovered by Alex Hagenah, who is a cybersecurity analyst and ethical hacker.

Seriously, I would sooner cancel this "feature" entirely. Everything about Recall since the initial announcement has just been news after news of it falling on its face.

I can't trust the name 'Recall' since Arnold Schwarzenegger went to Mars.

Funny, because the tool that Alex made to extract the data is called "TotalRecall".

Last edited:
Top Bottom