• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delta Force titles likely leaving GOG and Steam today

news-deltaforce.png

GOG.com team member king_kunat announced early this morning that the entire Delta Force series is slated to be removed from the platform and it will likely happen later today, Friday, June 7th. The brief announcement and links to the titles on GOG.com follows:
Just now, we’ve received a request that we have to delist all Delta Force titles that are available in our store, due to legal reasons that are beyond our control. Affected titles are:
I’ll add the exact time of the removals when we schedule it, but I wanted to let you guys know as fast as possible because it will most likely happen today.

They will be removed from all storefronts.

GOG.com Announcement – June 07, 2024
As the announcement suggests, the games are likely to disappear on Steam as well so here are the links to those versions including Xtreme 2 which isn’t on GOG for some reason.

Red5

They should give them out for free like when they pulled the classic Fallout titles after Bethesda bought the IP. Or at least have them on a discount.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
They should give them out for free like when they pulled the classic Fallout titles after Bethesda bought the IP. Or at least have them on a discount.
? All classic Fallout titles are still there. And its not really up to them to discount/give them out or not.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Hooray for the digital future.

I'm so tired of those stupid comments.

Because of course most CDs from 1998 are still perfectly working right? Right?! Spoiler: no they wont.

And yes you can find some that are still usable but 90+% of them will just not work in 2024. So please quite pretending your disk is THE solution.

I'm saying it because it needs to be said, true preservation comes from piracy: no DRM, unlimited links and reupload if needed, all version from 1.0 to latest update etc etc...

Red5

? All classic Fallout titles are still there. And its not really up to them to discount/give them out or not.

When Bethesda bought the IP they were pulled from all digital stores so GOG gave FO1, FO2 and tactics for free, a few months or years later Bethesda re-released them on GOG and Steam. My version on GOG is titled Classic Fallout vs Fallout.

CGNoire

Because of course most CDs from 1998 are still perfectly working right? Right?! Spoiler: no they wont.

And yes you can find some that are still usable but 90+% of them will just not work in 2024. So please quite pretending your disk is THE solution.

I'm saying it because it needs to be said, true preservation comes from piracy: no DRM, unlimited links and reupload if needed, all version from 1.0 to latest update etc etc...
you dont know what your talking about. every damm CD game music or otherwize I have from the 90s works perfectly. Disc rot is a complete myth. just shitty owners who dont know how to take care of there property.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
you dont know what your talking about. every damm CD game music or otherwize I have from the 90s works perfectly. Disc rot is a complete myth. just shitty owners who dont know how to take care of there property.
Oh I think I do know what I'm talking about.

fg8u1Ga.jpeg

And don't make me look for the even older games I have. That's without games like Monkey Island, AOEII, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and many, many other I've lost (I'm quite sad about that to be honest).
As soon as there is ONE scratch on a CD, it's basically dead as you won't be able to install without an error. And the game won't launch after that.

And even then, good for you if they are still working, but I just can't stand this comment of "UH digital future" because Delta Force can still be easily found online, just like pretty much any old PC game but somehow you always get that person who thinks she is so smart because she has a few CDs...

drganon

Oh I think I do know what I'm talking about.

fg8u1Ga.jpeg

And don't make me look for the even older games I have. That's without games like Monkey Island, AOEII, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and many, many other I've lost (I'm quite sad about that to be honest).
As soon as there is ONE scratch on a CD, it's basically dead as you won't be able to install without an error. And the game won't launch after that.

And even then, good for you if they are still working, but I just can't stand this comment of "UH digital future" because Delta Force can still be easily found online, just like pretty much any old PC game but somehow you always get that person who thinks she is so smart because she has a few CDs...
Having to resort to piracy isn't a good thing, you fucking dunce.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm glad that your stuff still works fine, but disc rot is not a myth. It definitely happens. Not all media is manufactured to the highest quality standards.

I had a collection of thousands of disc-based media at one time and I've had many CD's and DVD's for games, movies and music succumb to disc rot over the last 30+ years despite keeping them in their original cases in climate controlled conditions. I've never had a blu-ray rot, but CD's and DVD's are definitely susceptible.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Alright, firstly let's calm down on the names. We can disagree without being disrespectful. A game CD and a music CD is absolutely not the same. If a music CD has a scratch it will just cut a little and still play the CD. If a game CD has a scratch, it's dead. Period.
And yeah, like it or not but I'd rather go to myabandonware.com or any other website (so not piracy) to get a game than just buy a CD. I don't even have a CD player on my PC now. Even my old laptop don't have one.

But let me be more specific about why I mentioned piracy: if a game is removed from the list of all online stores and cannot be purchased anywhere else and is not an abandonware, then yes, I will turn towards piracy because they have pretty much everything. Without shame. Because what's the other solution? Buying old games can be very expansive and you are not even assured to get it to work properly. Most old games are a nightmare for who is the rights holder, that's why they get delisted because licence expires and no one is making money out of those old games so they don't renew it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Of course it is.
Relying on a limited and ever shrinking pool of official CD's isn't a good thing. Having to play arcade games only on the original arcade machines or through a limited range of ports (which wouldn't exist if piracy hadn't got there first) - not a good thing.
Piracy that helps archive video gaming history - a good thing.

Facism

Fr went through my entire ps1 collection a few months back and everything is peak and working

drganon

Of course it is.
Relying on a limited and ever shrinking pool of official CD's isn't a good thing. Having to play arcade games only on the original arcade machines or through a limited range of ports (which wouldn't exist if piracy hadn't got there first) - not a good thing.
Piracy that helps archive video gaming history - a good thing.
Or better yet, we don't constantly have games being delisted so we don't have to resort to piracy. I didn't say anything about CDs since pc gaming gave up that option a long time ago. Obviously there is stuff like arcade games that are in rights hell, but stuff like delta force being available legally and then being taken down without warning isn't a good thing. Not to mention games like the crew and anything else that has to be connected to a server.

Porticus

Banned
Dude you should accept the reality, what you wrote is so stupid I feel like you are writing about yourself instead of me, or actually you are?

Plus chill down dude, you are aggressive towards different people here that think in a different way than you, really stupid and childish behaviour.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Physical IS the solution. My disc works perfectly fine and it even fucking launches on Win10. Discs dont automatically die after 20 years.
FtcWpCz.jpeg
ey7qu6t.png
r2th3Pu.png
DtL3EZL.png

drganon

Dude you should accept the reality, what you wrote is so stupid I feel like you are writing about yourself instead of me, or actually you are?

Plus chill down dude, you are aggressive towards different people here that think in a different way than you, really stupid and childish behaviour.
What are you even going on about? You insulted me first, so I repaid the favor. Don't like it, fuck off.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Physical IS the solution. My disc works perfectly fine and it even fucking launches on Win10. Discs dont automatically die after 20 years.
FtcWpCz.jpeg
ey7qu6t.png
r2th3Pu.png
DtL3EZL.png
As does everyone's digital copy. But imagine trying to buy a working disk off ebay it's going to be a crapshoot.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
FtcWpCz.jpeg
ey7qu6t.png
r2th3Pu.png
DtL3EZL.png

Who cares?

I still have my discs for Diablo 2, No One Lives Forever, Star Trek Elite Force, etc…and I still didn’t stick an optical drive in my PC.

Physical sucks on PC.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Or better yet, we don't constantly have games being delisted so we don't have to resort to piracy.
I've told why this is happening: Most old games are a nightmare for who is the rights holder, that's why they get delisted because licence expires and no one is making money out of those old games so they don't renew it.

I didn't say anything about CDs since pc gaming gave up that option a long time ago. Obviously there is stuff like arcade games that are in rights hell, but stuff like delta force being available legally and then being taken down without warning isn't a good thing. Not to mention games like the crew and anything else that has to be connected to a server.
GOG is specifically saying why: it's "due to legal reasons that are beyond our control" so exactly what I was saying. As for always online and other DRM bullshit, it would be the same rather you have the disk or not.

FtcWpCz.jpeg
ey7qu6t.png
r2th3Pu.png
DtL3EZL.png
I know, but it's not the case for everyone. So "it's still working for me" is not a solution, it's a case by case answer. Of course physical is good, I'll never deny that and I loved those big old cardboard box but let's be realistic for a minute...
While I know that my version on Steam will always work and be available even if delisted.

Also nice collection <3 Seeing those installer again is something.

feynoob

Gold Member
I don't recommend piracy. But when these companies are actively making it hard to get these games, it's becomes the only option.

Again, I don't support piracy mods, so don't ban me.

ZoukGalaxy

lol at least I can walk in to my local game store and pick those up.

oh wait...
It's not like we could buy a used physical version from anyone on the thing people used to call "Internet", people even said It was working worldwide back in the time, incredible when you think about it.

Oh wait...

Ridaxan

It's not like we could buy a used physical version from anyone on the thing people used to call "Internet", people even said It was working worldwide back in the time, incredible when you think about it.

Oh wait...

Even so there are a bunch of games that you simply cannot install from the original disc anymore even if you have the original disc. For example Bioshock 2 and Fable 3.

In my opinion, the best method of preservation is drm free digital versions that you can store offline.

Hudo

Gold Member
Has anyone come out and said why? Is it some licensing issue with a piece of music or art that is used in these games? Is it because Novalogic and THQ couldn't agree on something? Or what?

Kadve

Gold Member
Has anyone come out and said why? Is it some licensing issue with a piece of music or art that is used in these games? Is it because Novalogic and THQ couldn't agree on something? Or what?
THQN owns Nova Logic so that's probably not a factor

The cynical part of me instead thinks it has something to do with Hawk Ops and THQN wanting people to play that instead...

Top Bottom