• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Final Shape Suffering from Overcrowded Servers

Draugoth

Gold Member
Destiny 2, Bungie's long-running live-service FPS, may be getting its "final shape" today, but that shape appears to not include servers that are ready for the clamoring playerbase.

The issues likely stem from the massive influx of players the game sees with each new expansion, as Steam alone reported more than 200,000 players trying to log on simultaneously moments after the servers came online — a significantly higher number than that platform typically sees, though still well below the all-time player count of nearly 400,000.

Fittingly, Twitch has been full of streams from the Destiny community, who are staring at error messages for long periods of time.

GPQByyuaIAEoJy4

A short while ago, Bungie Help recommended players restart the game, console, or launcher to try and resolve the issue.

via IGN

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Shin-Ra

And I’m guessing, just like Helldivers II, paying PS+ subscribers don’t get any kind of priority access. Assuming anyone can get in.

Bunch of jokers.

phant0m

And I’m guessing, just like Helldivers II, paying PS+ subscribers don’t get any kind of priority access. Assuming anyone can get in.

Bunch of jokers.
........what? Helldivers 2 is a paid game, EVERYONE playing on PS5 is a PS+ subscriber as it's required?

Destiny 2 base game being f2p makes it accessible for non-subscribers

I'd like to say Witch Queen was relatively smooth. Lightfall was a bit of a shitshow. But this launch is the worst I remember out of Destiny. Got kicked out of the first mission a couple of times before kicking me out again but also technically finishing as it unlocked the next thing. Possible it just gobbled up a cutscene though, people are complaining about that. Other people have had it gobble up their new class unlock and have to redo the mission as well.

Was pretty obviously going to be trouble when initially connecting and seeing that they didn't even really have their login queue screen working. I'm not too surprised, but I was kind of hoping to blast through the campaign in the afternoon.

Looks like the east coast people are giving up according to Steamcharts, might give it one last try in about an hour.

eNT1TY

It's not just the login servers, the entire framework for common areas and seasonal activities/campaign are overwhelmed too. Once logged in you still can barely get into the tower, the helm, etc let alone start a campaign mission; you are playing activity roulette from orbit hoping rng fits you into ANY instance.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
been trying to do the 1st mission for an hour keep getting booted to orbit. Fuck it try it later.

Life Drama GIF

Game is actually working for me now. I doubt the demand was unexpected. Scaling gracefully is tough, and seems like they fuck it up more often than not in the gaming world.

The campaign takes around 6 hours to beat and the story is lackluster. It feels like Bungie is targeting the 10 years old audience with the level of writing
I'm like four missions in. It's not amazing but hey at least it's coherent and no 8 foot trans-ninja-turtles in high heels and tight show-off-xer-massive-dong pants have shown up so how you gonna complain?

tmlDan

This expansion is closing out Destiny 2 or just wrapping up the current story arc?
Its closing out the main story, they are doing "episodes" after the final shape instead of seasons but they haven't been clear if they are going to continue with expansions or move onto Destiny 3.

The rumor, recently, is that they are working on D3 since about 2020 (or 2022? not sure), so maybe after the "episodes are over" in another year, they will announce D3, but we don't know for sure. Seems like they're avoiding the question right now.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

It's still no Rise Of Iron launch servers, but Bungie really should know how to launch a dlc without the servers being buckled.

DeaDPo0L84

Was able to push through the campaign on legendary yesterday and do a few others things before finally calling it. Excited to get back to it, the new patrol zone is pretty cool.

This is concerning because Destiny 2 isn't as popular as it once was and the amount of players right now are not even close to what they used to have at launch. Are their servers not scaling properly?
Strange because the all time peak was 316,000 and the 24 hour peak was 314,000. Where are you getting your numbers from?

clarky

Gold Member
This is concerning because Destiny 2 isn't as popular as it once was and the amount of players right now are not even close to what they used to have at launch. Are their servers not scaling properly?
Glad you are concerned, but its missed placed.

As other have pointed out the franchise was bumping up against all time high ccu yesterday.

Kydd BlaZe

This happens EVERY time they release a major expansion. I'm not even surprised. I stopped taking time off work for these expansions as a result.

This happens EVERY time they release a major expansion. I'm not even surprised. I stopped taking time off work for these expansions as a result.

A lot of MP games honestly. I forget which game it was now but years ago I took off to play the game on release day cause I knew I would like it. Couldn't get in all day and wasted a good 4-5 hours of that day trying to play it. I never take off for MP games anymore. SP games I will take the day off for still.

Last edited:
Top Bottom