• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Leveling up 25 times in one hour is idiotic. If the journey to 100 is so bad you have to blast through it, then there is 99 levels of shit in there. I don’t need a grind but I do need a sense of satisfaction and excitement when I level up.

That kind of journey you describe is more at home in mmos than games like diablo. I mean sure takes forever to get to 100 in poe but that's mainly because those last 10 levels are stupid and in fact builds (at least last time I played, it's been a few years) are made for level 90. What is it, 40 hours to get to 90? That isn't much of a journey neither - and it's mostly there to feed the racers.

Lol I just spent the last 2 hours afk holding down the raise skeleton button.

EZ

You do know there's a unique ring that will do it for you every 1-2 seconds? :D

They really need to either add strongholds to the seasonal renown or rework them entirely, it's really tedious to have to do again and again each season to unlock dungeons/legion events.

Strongholds are right now a remnant from diablo 4's tumultuous development when they thought they were making an open world game and in its current state they make no sense. They need to be repurposed.

Xyphie

Strongholds are right now a remnant from diablo 4's tumultuous development when they thought they were making an open world game and in its current state they make no sense. They need to be repurposed.

I think like the campaign, altars of Lilith, side quests etc I think they are OK for the initial playthrough but I just don't want to do them twice. They should just add some sort of event like defending them against a demon invasion or whatever after the first account clear.

gothmog

Gold Member
I think like the campaign, altars of Lilith, side quests etc I think they are OK for the initial playthrough but I just don't want to do them twice. They should just add some sort of event like defending them against a demon invasion or whatever after the first account clear.
This is kind of my major issue with the game. They made a game and now are completely ignoring what they made. You would think they would come up with some creative ways to include things like strongholds.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Overall the helltide improvements are fantastic. I am always killing something and it feels fluid, responsive, and rewarding which I was not expecting. So far so good!

I am gem material POOR though. I don't know if this was specified in the patch notes but DAMN its hard to craft high tier gems now. I don't even have sockets in my pants, chest, or weapon.

Also, resetting your dungeon from town now resets your TP, I guess this is a bug? Have to make myself leave the dungeon first, then reset the dungeon from the entrance, then I can TP back to town. Weird change if not a bug.

Zheph

Overall the helltide improvements are fantastic. I am always killing something and it feels fluid, responsive, and rewarding which I was not expecting. So far so good!

I am gem material POOR though. I don't know if this was specified in the patch notes but DAMN its hard to craft high tier gems now. I don't even have sockets in my pants, chest, or weapon.

Also, resetting your dungeon from town now resets your TP, I guess this is a bug? Have to make myself leave the dungeon first, then reset the dungeon from the entrance, then I can TP back to town. Weird change if not a bug.
you can add sockets anyway? Im not sure I got you

Freeman76

Hard to get into this after last epoch, and Pandaria remix is out today for Blizz other game, so prob wont revisit D4 until the Xpac comes out, by then will have tons to do in this

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Yeah i wouldn't worry about it, you will loot a lot as you play. What level are you? I am starting to loot a lot of fragments and I am 58 rn
Currently at end game (should hit 100 tomorrow or Saturday) and doing constant boss rotations for crafting mats or uber drops (no luck yet). End game crafting costs are quite high (gold) and at least for me playing SSF I don't have a ton of resources to make higher tier gems. Maybe I should be trading but I don't really have the time to look into the economy to see if I have what people want to trade for.

Just surprised the gem material is the one I hit.

Zheph

Currently at end game (should hit 100 tomorrow or Saturday) and doing constant boss rotations for crafting mats or uber drops (no luck yet). End game crafting costs are quite high (gold) and at least for me playing SSF I don't have a ton of resources to make higher tier gems. Maybe I should be trading but I don't really have the time to look into the economy to see if I have what people want to trade for.

Just surprised the gem material is the one I hit.
ah fair, maybe its not that simple simple now. Have you check any reco online for it?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
How do you now upgrade weapons and gear at the blacksmith? I can't see the option anymore. Was it removed in season 4
Yeah that was replaced with "master working" which you unlock at end game. You also can temper weapons which gives you a bit of customization using materials from other salvaged items.

There is no "upgrade an item x times" at the blacksmith or gem crafter now.

Hot5pur

Thinking of going back to this, but after playing LE and the theory crafting there I found d4 a bit bland. Has the game improved in any way on that regard? I want it to be exciting to go on blind and try to make a random build

Zheph

Thinking of going back to this, but after playing LE and the theory crafting there I found d4 a bit bland. Has the game improved in any way on that regard? I want it to be exciting to go on blind and try to make a random build
yeah they actually took notice of some systems in LE with master working/tempering, have a look

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
A few observations and opinions of the latest patch:

Observations:
  1. I estimate it will take me a total of 14 hours of play time to hit level 100. For perspective It took me 26 hours as a Necro (corpse/blood mist) in season 3.
  2. Enemy density is much improved especially in helltides. Faster battles and more exp gain rate.
  3. Item creation (salvage, tempering, masterworking) systems have been added giving users a lot more control over the items they build.
  4. Since they have opened up item trading I see a ton of activity there and I would add that as positive part of the Item Creation system/cycle now.
Opinions:
  1. The battles: enemy density, and pace of combat, reward, has been overhauled and I think this feels much more like D3. I really enjoy D3 so this is a huge positive for me.
  2. The Pit: This is basically greater rifts from D3 and again, for me, a welcome addition.
  3. Class exploration is better now that I can specifically target skills on items I craft.
  4. The Aspect Codex is a great new feature that lets you collect aspects and reuse them as many times as you have mats to afford the process. I love this. It makes collecting even generic aspects fun for me since the aspects constantly level up as you find better versions.
  5. Overall a better version of D4 for me.

Just hit lvl 50 in 2 sittings, heltides is where it's at , started a barb and for some reason he's not clicking with me but the season feels much better than 3.
Good on diablo I like it

cormack12

Gold Member
I haven't played sorc before. It says I've unlocked my enchantments but nothing has changed.

Druid got a tab, barb got a tab - am I missing something?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I haven't played sorc before. It says I've unlocked my enchantments but nothing has changed.

Druid got a tab, barb got a tab - am I missing something?
It is hard to see actually.

Open your skill tree, then at the bottom choose "skill assignments".

Then you will see a screen with all your Sorc skills and at the bottom of that UI pop up will be two circles. They are you enhancement slots. Drag the icon of a skill you have unlocked (at the top of this UI box) down to the open circles below.

This will provide the Sorc with a general buff based on the skills slotted in those areas.

BwqtuG6.jpeg

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

The game has gotten too easy imo

Did a world boss earlier in WT4 and it was like 8 Necros with a couple of other classes and the boss melted in seconds

The world bosses have been getting melted in WT4 since before the game launched, though. Right now it's almost as if Strongholds and World bosses are leftover relics from an original vision of the game. If you want more challenge, there's tormented bosses (even harder than uber bosses) and the pit. Some class/spec combos also have difficulties in NM100, but this varies.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The world bosses have been getting melted in WT4 since before the game launched, though. Right now it's almost as if Strongholds and World bosses are leftover relics from an original vision of the game. If you want more challenge, there's tormented bosses (even harder than uber bosses) and the pit. Some class/spec combos also have difficulties in NM100, but this varies.
Def recommend the pit. Unless I need the mats I don't do the world boss or summon boss rotations.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Masterworking question - I thought I can do it on ancestral uniques from the start, but it's still greyed out.

edit - oh I gotta do the pit first lol

Last edited:

DavidGzz

This is kind of my major issue with the game. They made a game and now are completely ignoring what they made. You would think they would come up with some creative ways to include things like strongholds.

Yeah, I think that will come eventually. For now, strongholds do provide scenarios for Legion events. Also, idk if this is new, but it seems like you have a lot more time to join legion events now. I didn't conquer a stronghold so couldn't do one, I only had two minutes. I ported and finished the stronghold, which took me a good bit more than two minutes, and I was able to join the Legion event when it was well underway. That was great.

Also, spin to win is in. Finally, a WW build that has super powerful dust devils unlike the D3 version. It does have a dust devils rune, but they are useless. WW is a more fun version of the druid Nado build now.

Running a build with no basic attacks. Feels good man.

Yep! I'm doing WW with no basic skill, it's great!

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I tried WASD again, and man, it just feels cumbersome compared to controller. I'm convinced now that PoE 2 will definitely be a controller game now. The fact that you can move and attack in different directions like a twin stick shooter in PoE2 guarantees that WASD will be the way to go. And controllers make those controls way better. Now I just hope PoE2 copies D4's inventory layout. Inventory management is a breeze even with a controller because of how it's set up.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Apparently the unique weapon I use, Black River, is only target farmable from Andariel or Duriel. I've been using a level 56 version since WT3. I'm level 88 🤷‍♂️

DavidGzz

Apparently the unique weapon I use, Black River, is only target farmable from Andariel or Duriel. I've been using a level 56 version since WT3. I'm level 88 🤷‍♂️

I think the loot reborn made it to where anything can drop anywhere but the chances are higher against certain bosses.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think the loot reborn made it to where anything can drop anywhere but the chances are higher against certain bosses.

Yeah I got it from a Helltide back in World Tier 3, and I've been using it ever since, but it's still good because of the Unique power. I've been running Pit up to level 16 with it.

Top Bottom