• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Doom: The Dark Ages Trailer Tech Breakdown: The Next-Gen id Tech Revealed

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's been four years since Doom Eternal was released to widespread acclaim - and id Software is finally ready to reveal its latest game, powered by the current-gen version of its legendarily performant id Tech engine. Alex Battaglia shares his thoughts on what we saw from the Xbox Showcase teaser.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Current gen only
- Volumetric clouds for the first time in a Doom game, usually found in open world games
- Play area / combat zones are larger than anything in previous games
- Despite the larger areas, the LoD is very good with only minor transitions seen
- Level of geometry notably increased over Eternal (eg the shotgun and Slayer's armor)
- DF could not definitively rule RT but think there is a mixture of RT and SSR based on the trailer
- Large explosions and some combat can show frame drops, DF is confident to say this is real time gameplay footage in progress, not pre-rendered or 'target' renders.

Fbh

ID were maybe the best last gen at pushing nice visuals with intense action while still focusing on 60fps on consoles.
Can't wait to see the final result of what they can do Ps5/SX and how much further they can push it on PC.

Astral Dog

All that cloud talk got me
f74ce8e4d28ef1556aa0acd71ef619ac.gif

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
ID were maybe the best last gen at pushing nice visuals with intense action while still focusing on 60fps on consoles.
Can't wait to see the final result of what they can do Ps5/SX and how much further they can push it on PC.
Yup, on the pro at 120fps and beyond on PC this will be glorious.

Arioco

I absolutely loved Eternal and I'm going to love this one too. iD Software has some of the best technology in the business. Doom 2016 and Eternal looked amazing and ran like dream even on a potato masher. I can't wait.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So happy it's also coming to the PS5. Does it come out Q4 this year? Or 2025?

EruditeHobo

Previous 2 Dooms didn't really grab me... but this does for some reason appeal to me. Probably helped by the fact that it looks utterly fantastic.

The design of those weapons is wonderful. Hopeful there's a demo, when the time comes.

Top Bottom